• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Virat Kohli test material?

uvelocity

International Coach
For the non aussies on here; abusing mothers and sisters isn't really done here. In some cultures it's the most cutting of insults, and of course we get upset by same. Not saying we don't say bad stuff, it's just mostly different bad stuff.

Racist would have been a much more believable story from Kohli for me.

you're ****, you're fat, you're ugly, you're a <racial taunt> sure. Your mother is a ...... very uncommon.

Ruckus

International Captain
i've heard plenty of aus fans heap **** on players about being ****, but not much about their sister. and what the **** would your typical Aus fan know about Kohil's family? I find this much more believable
Yeah exactly. The vast majority of people wouldn't even know he has a sister. It just came across as so contrived as well - make a foolish gesture to the crowd, get panned by the media, so you cover yourself by resorting to about the only thing that could help save face a bit (i.e. claiming the jibes were personal insults to his family).

Shri

Mr. Glass
For the non aussies on here; abusing mothers and sisters isn't really done here. In some cultures it's the most cutting of insults, and of course we get upset by same. Not saying we don't say bad stuff, it's just mostly different bad stuff.

Racist would have been a much more believable story from Kohli for me.

you're ****, you're fat, you're ugly, you're a <racial taunt> sure. Your mother is a ...... very uncommon.
Mum insults are very common in any part of the world.

Yo ma is so fat...

guaranteed to get you punched in the face in any culture.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mum insults are very common in any part of the world.

Yo ma is so fat...

guaranteed to get you punched in the face in any culture.
Had never heard a mother or sister being mentioned on the field till I played in India.

Even then, no-one gave a flying hoot, just all thought it was terrible sledging.

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more that I think velocity is right. The whole mother thing in Aus just doesn't get a guy ticking.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had never heard a mother or sister being mentioned on the field till I played in India.

Even then, no-one gave a flying hoot, just all thought it was terrible sledging.
Yeah, Indians and Pakistanis use personal insults the most from those I have played with/against.

uvelocity

International Coach
edit @ shri: I don't know where you're from but I'm just trying to paint a picture. It's the truth but there is no way to offer any proof I wouldn't think. It's up to you whether you believe it's the case or not.

Your mum jokes. Or even as banter between people who know each other - "your mum is" as a retort is common. But it's light hearted. Much more likely to be called a body part or a discussion of your ***ual tendencies than to be told your sister is a prostitute in a real moment of heat, or as trying to sledge a player from the crowd.

As I said take it how you like. But it's the truth as I know it, and maybe a bit of background for others who haven't been here being that this is an international forum and all.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, Indians and Pakistanis use personal insults the most from those I have played with/against.
I'm not trying to say that Indians/whoever sledge the worst, but it's the only time where that sort of sledging (mothers and sisters, etc.) has been used regularly when I've been playing.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Hey my neighbour's pet dog's vet is a friend of Kohli's cousin and he swears that Kohli's family was abused
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

thought this was hilarious. Sorry benchy but I couldn't help it

edit @ shri: I don't know where you're from but I'm just trying to paint a picture. It's the truth but there is no way to offer any proof I wouldn't think. It's up to you whether you believe it's the case or not.

Your mum jokes. Or even as banter between people who know each other - "your mum is" as a retort is common. But it's light hearted. Much more likely to be called a body part or a discussion of your ***ual tendencies than to be told your sister is a prostitute in a real moment of heat, or as trying to sledge a player from the crowd.

As I said take it how you like. But it's the truth as I know it, and maybe a bit of background for others who haven't been here being that this is an international forum and all.
Didn't Zidane give somebody a headbutt because the guy said something like Zidane' mom was a whore or something? Or was it something else?

uvelocity

International Coach
It's just a cultural thing. I visit asia a bit, and if someone cuts you off in traffic it's exactly the insult - your mothers a, or your sister's a. It's not the same here. All humans insult each other, we just do it different. Which is why Kolhi's "excuse" is weak.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Mother****er, sister****er, Your mother's **** ("Tere Maa Ki Chut"...the "Maa Ki" sounds like "Monkey", hence the whole Harbhajan - Symonds episode) are three of the most commonly used insults in the Hindi/Punjabi languages which Indians and Pakis share. They are used as cutting insults as well as light hearted banter.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey my neighbour's pet dog's vet is a friend of Kohli's cousin and he swears that Kohli's family was abused
Have a funny Virat Kohli story which happened at the Ivy last week the night after the test ended. Ended up with a mate of mine being pushed around by Virat's "minder" and getting kicked out.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have a funny Virat Kohli story which happened at the Ivy last week the night after the test ended. Ended up with a mate of mine being pushed around by Virat's "minder" and getting kicked out.
What happened?

And sorry benchy for being a prick

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doesn't surprise me.

Its an easy get out of jail card for him to play the family or racist card to cover up his actions
Wtf, he didn't pull the race card. And don't put that in the same boat as him crying about his family.

If he lied about them insulting his family, which Benchy is saying and he has no reason to lie, he is a downright dick. But he did not once claim he was racially abused so he isn't pulling any "race card" and he didn't do it to get out of jail for sticking up his finger.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why mention it at all? Why lump the two together?

If he was actually racially abused and stuck his finger up I bet he wouldn't have received such criticism as he was receiving here when he was apparently just a victim of family abuse. I doubt any cricketer would falsely claim they were racially abused by the crowd to get away with sticking up their finger, because it is such a serious issue in society. Whether it should be or not, claiming racial abuse is different to claiming other insults.

Ruckus

International Captain
Pretty sure GotSpin was lumping them together because they are both the two obvious ways to reverse the blame (i.e. they are both personal, sensitive issues that make it seem like his actions were more justified).

uvelocity

International Coach
awta. both would be crossing the line, but calling him a **** cricketer or an ugly **** would not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Most people here didn't think what Kohli suggested was said was crossing the line at all. Didn't seem that way anyway.

If Kohli was racially abused and then stuck his finger up people would not have said "oh he's a professional athlete and needs to learn to take it", but when he said his sister was insulted or whatever people were saying he should harden up, get used to it etc.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think a professional athlete should be able to turn the other cheek no matter what is said to them, whether that be racist ****, stuff about your relatives or whatever. The fact is absolutely nothing said by some random drunk people in the crowd should be that insulting to you. You have to have a pretty big ego to let yourself be affected by that kind of stuff I reckon.