• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there any bowler who's better than Malcolm Marshall or could challenge him?

smash84

The Tiger King
Nah, I think they both shaded him in average (all three averaged 19-odd IIRC) but pretty sure Macko's strike rate was unmatched.
you are right. Imran averages a shade above 19 and Macko a shade under 20 for averages. Though SR wise Macko is 44.5 and Imran and Hadlee 47.0 and 47.9 respectively for the whole of 1980s.

Excluding Imran's rapid decline 1989 onwards i.e. taking the period from 1980-1988 Imran is such a gun trumps Marshall significantly in average with a lower SR too :cool:

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

MrPrez

International Debutant
Although he didn't play enough Tests to prove it, I feel Mike Proctor deserves a mention.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Deserves to be seen as a guy who can't really be judged either way because of his lack of Tests. But people need to realise that if he had played Tests he would have been in the Marshall bracket although it quite probably would have been the Procter bracket.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Second best in my book, which is still exceptional.
His lack of express pace was both a plus and a minus, but there were times when he was collared, maybe because of it.

As far as I remember, Marshall definitely had pace..maybe not as quick as Holding but no medium pacer either.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Warne, Lillee, McGrath, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Lindwall, Trueman, Murali, Barnes...nevermind a few of his countrymen. I'd say 'yes'.

Debris

International 12th Man
Deserves to be seen as a guy who can't really be judged either way because of his lack of Tests. But people need to realise that if he had played Tests he would have been in the Marshall bracket although it quite probably would have been the Procter bracket.
Might be best to stick to reality in this thread and leave out the fantasy XI.

Debris

International 12th Man
Unfair. At what point is comparing Marshall to Barnes or McGrath anything to do with reality?
I would tend to agree but at least they all have substantial records at test level. Mike Proctor is basically just guessing.

bagapath

International Captain
Excluding Imran's rapid decline 1989 onwards i.e. taking the period from 1980-1988 Imran is such a gun trumps Marshall significantly in average with a lower SR too :cool:

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
proves the point i made in another thread that a lot of us who watched cricket in the 80s would remember imran as the best pacer in the world and not as someone who played second fiddle to lillee, hadlee and marshall as some revisionists suggest these days.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
proves the point i made in another thread that a lot of us who watched cricket in the 80s would remember imran as the best pacer in the world and not as someone who played second fiddle to lillee, hadlee and marshall as some revisionists suggest these days.
Because he had the height to handle bounce, footwork to negate swing, timing to counter pace, placement to beat the field, and power to clear the boundary.

Sir, when we meet...it will be my shout :D

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At his absolute peak in the early 80s, I would put Imran as perhaps his equal or even slightly above him. Overall career, no fast bowler can match Marshall.
That's a big call.

If what seems to be standard line of reasoning on here is accepted, namely that the 2000s was a great era for batting and averages are inflated, doesn't McGrath's record need to be seen in that light?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a big call.

If what seems to be standard line of reasoning on here is accepted, namely that the 2000s was a great era for batting and averages are inflated, doesn't McGrath's record need to be seen in that light?
There seems to be some misconception that after Ambrose, Akram and Donald retired around 2001-2002 that all the pitches were dug up and replaced by roads. The batting averages were inflated because for some reason there was a dearth of fast bowlers, and especially in the s/c where the combintion of the lack of quality fast bowlers and the fact that most pitches (especially Sri Lanka and India) were always roads, it was especially evident.
To expand, Mcgraths average in the 2000's was actually marginally better that his average in the 90's, probably because batsmen were less acostomed to facing quality bowlers. All of the great bolwers from the 90's who played the majority of the following decade, Warne and Murali had no discernable drop off in the 00's.