• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Pietersen " hubris" ? Geoff Boycott thinks so!

Is Pietersen Hubris ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Boycott is Nuts

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Pothas said:
Sorry but Oedipus isnt really the perfect example of Hubris bringing people down he is a sufferr of a tragic flaw he is not aware of so he wasnt really delibaratly commiting hubris , Agamemnon is a far better example.
I am not entirely happy with pieterson at the moment but am pretty confident he can grow up while keeping that self belief that is clearly a great asset
Niobe ?
Phaëthon ?
Bellerophon ?
Arachne ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Bit of a nob, don't think that will change, but at least he backs up his arrogance with runs.. but I'm less inclined to hate him while he keeps performing and its not against SA :D ..
Have you paid your 'one month with KP as avatar' penance yet? I can't remember. :)

Shounak

Banned
reverseswing said:
He's played 5 tests.No hundreds, He is nowhere near champ status
Not champ status or a champion. I just think he's a champ.

I like his attitude and his batting.

cameeel

International Captain
Whether or not he's overly arrogant is irrelevant,if he can back up his bravado with performances on the field then no one will give a jot what his attitude is like

thierry henry

International Coach
As has been repeatedly stated, he is fairly ordinary playing through the offside, and that's a very large weakness to have in your game. Then again, it doesn't really matter when you have a fair rate of success slogging everything for 6 over midwicket. We shall see, but personally I don't expect him to be a major success in test cricket...

Steulen

International Regular
Demolition Man said:
I am not sure you used the term correclty but nevertheless anything to degrade the ****iness that is KP I will assist.

Read Oedipus then you will know the true meaning of hubris.

Pride before a fall.
KP loves his mommy obsessively? That would explain his whole three lions cult :)

cameeel

International Captain
sledger said:
doesnt break one either, its not like he has been a resounding success is it ?
He's only played 5 tests, and was lucky not to make a duck a minute ago, but everyone seems to be very excited about him

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
All in all, this was a poorly timed thread.
Poorly timed comment from Sir Geoffrey too. Still, if it was was even 1% responsible for KP's effort today I'd like to thank Boycs for doing his bit for blighty! :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair, when Boycott wrote that article it was 100% accurate.

I wonder how much of what he wrote sunk in to KP before today?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Poorly timed comment from Sir Geoffrey too. Still, if it was was even 1% responsible for KP's effort today I'd like to thank Boycs for doing his bit for blighty! :D
I would say it was a well timed comment by Geoffrey, which IMO may have made KP play harder and show greater commitment - and the result is there today to see.

I give Kudos to Sir Geoffrey for making Pietersen more aware of his own weakness !!

A win win situation for Sir Geoffrey, KP and England !

Unfortunately the better Team did not retain the Ashes though !! :mellow:

tooextracool

International Coach
KP's attitude is very similar to that of shane warne nad its not surprising that the 2 of them are good friends.
however KP isnt anywhere near as successful as Warne has been over his career. i dont mind the arrogance, because arrogant players are confident and tend to play better under pressure. if the arrogance gets to his head though, which may happen as his career progresses not only would it be a burder to him but also on the rest of the side.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The better (I dont like the word best in this context) team could not have retained the Ashes since they were not the holders to start with.