• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Pietersen " hubris" ? Geoff Boycott thinks so!

Is Pietersen Hubris ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Boycott is Nuts

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Barney Rubble

International Coach
reverseswing said:
He's played 5 tests.No hundreds, He is nowhere near champ status
So Michael Slater was completely wrong when he compared him to Sir Viv the other day?

The man might be hubris, yes, but he's got a right to be - he's an outrageously talented player, and as soon as he starts making the most of it, bowling attacks all over the world will be cowering in fear.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
So Michael Slater was completely wrong when he compared him to Sir Viv the other day?
Err, yes. That's like comparing Pathan to Akram or Clarke to Greg Chappell. Completely ridiculous.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes i think he probably is although as Tony Greig said it is also a very good description of Boycott himself . He is certainly very confident and arogent, i do still like him but i really expect him to perfrom. I actualy think this period of not doing too well will be good for him he has to calm down (especialy in the field) and now work at his cricket and he will become a great player. I think being outperformed by the likes of freddie will actualy do him some good. I study classics at school and many a greek tragedy actions of hubris always finish with a characters downfall but i dont think this will happen to him. Aslong as he doesnt die that streak red that is a sure sign in greek tragedy.....just look at james anderson

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
The man might be hubris, yes, but he's got a right to be - he's an outrageously talented player, and as soon as he starts making the most of it, bowling attacks all over the world will be cowering in fear.
That I don't follow...just because he's talented he has a right to be??

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, yes. That's like comparing Pathan to Akram or Clarke to Greg Chappell. Completely ridiculous.
He was mostly wrong, yes - but there are similarities in the way they play the game. Pietersen has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath, but in terms of pure natural talent, he's right up there with any player you care to name from what we've seen so far.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I reckon that might be a bit extreme, unless he was comparing a way he plays a particular shot or something. Surely Pietersen's got a way to go before we start seriously discussing him as a "champion".

And just a note on the usage of the word "hubris". You might show hubris, or demonstrate hubris - you wouldn't say that somebody's "hubris" or that they may "be hubris" though.

(Just as a general aid for people when it comes to phraseology.)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Dasa said:
That I don't follow...just because he's talented he has a right to be??
Because he's talented he has a right to be proud and arrogant, not a right to be talented. :p

It's my view that if you can back up your own views on how good you are, there's nothing wrong with airing them. If Bradman had said "I was the greatest batsman ever" who'd disagree? Just like Mohammad Ali when he claimed "I am the greatest".

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
He was mostly wrong, yes - but there are similarities in the way they play the game. Pietersen has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath, but in terms of pure natural talent, he's right up there with any player you care to name from what we've seen so far.
Sure there are similarities, but there are far more between Gilchrist and Viv or even Sehwag and Viv. Pietersen's weak on the off-side, has a tendancy to get caught in the deep (you'll notice that the best hitters, like Gilchrist or Sehwag for example, rarely get caught in the deep because they pick the ball to hit better), and is inexperienced and hasn't even scored a test century yet.

Comparing him to Viv is exactly like comparing Pathan to Wasim or Clarke to Greg. There are similarities, but the main difference is that one is an all-time great and the other hasn't even proved they're going to have a long test career yet. :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Sure there are similarities, but there are far more between Gilchrist and Viv or even Sehwag and Viv. Pietersen's weak on the off-side, has a tendancy to get caught in the deep (you'll notice that the best hitters, like Gilchrist or Sehwag for example, rarely get caught in the deep because they pick the ball to hit better), and is inexperienced and hasn't even scored a test century yet.

Comparing him to Viv is exactly like comparing Pathan to Wasim or Clarke to Greg. There are similarities, but the main difference is that one is an all-time great and the other hasn't even proved they're going to have a long test career yet. :p
Yeah, OK, yet again I find myself giving in to an Australian with a superior knowledge of cricket. :D Ah well, I bet I know more than you about football (soccer)! :p Not that my country can actually play the game.......

Dasa

Barney Rubble said:
Because he's talented he has a right to be proud and arrogant, not a right to be talented. :p

It's my view that if you can back up your own views on how good you are, there's nothing wrong with airing them. If Bradman had said "I was the greatest batsman ever" who'd disagree? Just like Mohammad Ali when he claimed "I am the greatest".
Haha I understood what you meant.
I disagree though - even if you're the most talented batsman ever, I think it's in poor taste to actually say that yourself...or even suggest that. I think Pietersen still has a way to go in Tests - his arrogance hasn't really paid off, he's been playing stupid shots that are IMO a result of this arrogance...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Dasa said:
Haha I understood what you meant.
I disagree though - even if you're the most talented batsman ever, I think it's in poor taste to actually say that yourself...or even suggest that. I think Pietersen still has a way to go in Tests - his arrogance hasn't really paid off, he's been playing stupid shots that are IMO a result of this arrogance...
Obviously I would rather someone didn't say that they were the best ever - modesty will always score higher than arrogance for me. But if someone wants to celebrate their own achievements, and to a certain extent blow their own trumpet, then I think people these days have a bit too much of a tendency to condemn them for it - it seems like people are always jealous of others' success these days, so they feel bad when they see others enjoying it.

Isolator

State 12th Man
What the heck is wrong with you peoples' grammar? You can't BE hubris. It's a condition, a state. It's like saying "Pietersen is arrogance" when you want to say "Pietersen is arrogant".

You people are idiot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isolator said:
What the heck is wrong with you peoples' grammar? You can't BE hubris. It's a condition, a state. It's like saying "Pietersen is arrogance" when you want to say "Pietersen is arrogant".

You people are idiot.
I think you mean 'You people are idiocy'

( :D )

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Isolator said:

You people are idiot.
Pietersen is hubristic. Happy?

And yes he is, a little. However I don't think it will be his 'downfall', as such, or perhaps his downfall has already come, as someone mentioned earlier. I think he's certainly benefited from having to wait four years to qualify for the England side; his apparent hubris could have been a far more significant problem were he less experienced.

open365

Adamc said:
Pietersen is hubristic. Happy?

And yes he is, a little. However I don't think it will be his 'downfall', as such, or perhaps his downfall has already come, as someone mentioned earlier. I think he's certainly benefited from having to wait four years to qualify for the England side; his apparent hubris could have been a far more significant problem were he less experienced.
really?

i thought it would be better for pietersen to come in early,do crap,get his screwed on,then come back and make loads of runs but not be hubristic.

but then thats just my opinion

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
I am not sure you used the term correclty but nevertheless anything to degrade the ****iness that is KP I will assist.

Read Oedipus then you will know the true meaning of hubris.

Pride before a fall.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Demolition Man said:
I am not sure you used the term correclty but nevertheless anything to degrade the ****iness that is KP I will assist.

Read Oedipus then you will know the true meaning of hubris.

Pride before a fall.
Sorry but Oedipus isnt really the perfect example of Hubris bringing people down he is a sufferr of a tragic flaw he is not aware of so he wasnt really delibaratly commiting hubris , Agamemnon is a far better example.
I am not entirely happy with pieterson at the moment but am pretty confident he can grow up while keeping that self belief that is clearly a great asset

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bit of a nob, don't think that will change, but at least he backs up his arrogance with runs.. but I'm less inclined to hate him while he keeps performing and its not against SA :D ..