• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Pietersen " hubris" ? Geoff Boycott thinks so!

Is Pietersen Hubris ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Boycott is Nuts

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Watching Channel 4 discussion during the rain interruptions , I saw this discussion between Mark Nicholas, Tony Greig and Geoff Boycott about KP . The discussion was about Boycott's description of KP in one of English Newspaper sports columns as "Hubris".

For those who do not know the meaning of this word - (I admit I learnt this word only after watching this discussion) - From MSN Encarta dictionary

hubris

hu·bris [ hybriss ]
noun
Definitions:
1. pride: excessive pride or arrogance
2. excessive ambition: the excessive pride and ambition that usually leads to the downfall of a hero in classical tragedy
[Late 19th century. < Greek]
hu·bris·tic [ hyoo brístik ]adj

So here's a Poll -for CW members -

Last edited:

Shounak

Banned
It's youthful ****iness.. Like Maverick in Top Gun...

It doesn't fall into any of the poll options for me. Therefore I will withold my vote..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to vote for 'yes,' but I also think Boycott is nuts, so which should I choose?

cameeel

International Captain
No point being ****y until he backs it up with some good performances, particularly in the field

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cameeel said:
No point being ****y until he backs it up with some good performances, particularly in the field
He's batted pretty well this series. Although that shot he played to Warne was an absolute shocker.

cameeel

International Captain
andyc said:
He's batted pretty well this series. Although that shot he played to Warne was an absolute shocker.
True, his batting has been good, but his fielding has been absolutely shocking

Shounak

Banned
cameeel said:
Stop being so negative mate. He's been awesome with the bat for one.

And his performance in South Africa. Absolutely mind blowing. He saved Englands ars#s a number of times. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..

The guy's a champ..

cameeel

International Captain
shounak said:

And his performance in South Africa. Absolutely mind blowing. He saved Englands ars#s a number of times. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..

The guy's a champ..
See post #7....

Slow Love™

International Captain
Isn't it a bit ironic for Boycott to accuse anybody of hubris?

Anyhow, I don't see it really. He's a confidence player who has already done some amazing things in international cricket in a very short space of time. He's quite young, and it's probably more the case that some of the older English players need to get in his ear a bit about his concentration.

His catching problems have obviously escalated after the first couple, and if anything, it's a bit of a lack of confidence in that area that's causing problems, rather than arrogant disregard.

cameeel

International Captain
Much the same as Tait's fielding problems, you just gotta keep reminding yourself what you did wrong and learn from it

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nothing wrong with a bit of self-belief IMHO. I do wish sometimes he'd play slightly more circumspectly against Warne when he first comes on tho. I guess it's because they're mates & all, but with the way he attacks Warne it looks as if he views him as a personal challenge to be smashed out of the attack.

The catching is a worry and rather strange too because, where you to ask me before the test series, I'd have had him down as one of our best fielders.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pietersen has bucketloads of talent, but some serious problems he has to work out before he can be a long-term test success, particularly with his off-side shots and his tendancy to try and invent strokes to every ball when he doesn't need to in test cricket. If he can sort those out, he's going to be a phenomenal player.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
The catching is a worry and rather strange too because, where you to ask me before the test series, I'd have had him down as one of our best fielders.
Exactly! Remember the whole "You can't keep him out of the game" saga where he was fielding brilliantly in the ODI matches. He, other than Collingwood was probably England's best fieldder. Quite odd.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
His ground fielding has still been pretty good - just the catching has been terrible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think that yet again Geoffrey has hit the nail on the head.

He did say that he'd spoken to Pietersen a few times this summer. Maybe he should discuss this article with him next time he speaks to him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
His ground fielding has still been pretty good - just the catching has been terrible.
Before the tests, his catching was simply unbelievable. I reckon when he finally clings on to one, he'll catch everything again.

Hubris?

Naturally (but maybe he's had his fall already).

open365

Dasa said:
er...no it hasn't.

its not hard to jog round the boundary and making the ocasional slide.

he is hubris yes but hopefully fielding on the boundary and getting made a fool of will help him stop being so bloody arrogant.

Dasa

open365 said:
er...no it hasn't.

its not hard to jog round the boundary and making the ocasional slide.
That doesn't mean his ground fielding has been bad...I can't remember any misfields from him in the outfield.

reverseswing

Cricket Spectator
shounak said:

The guy's a champ..
He's played 5 tests.No hundreds, He is nowhere near champ status