• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
For comparison, Hadlee (yes, this is a charity match with him aged, but bowlers don't change their actions)
For those who were wondering, this is not how Richard Hadlee's bowling action looked when he was playing competitive cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately, that's the only one I can find with him actually at the crease.

(BTW, it looked considerably better than that when he was actually playing serious levels of cricket. MUCH better, and that's saying something because even in that photo of him as an aged man, you can still see something of the effortless grace that's in that action)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Anyone thinking of the Monty Python sketch about the tallest man in the room?

"Oh yeah, well I'm 8'6"!!"

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately, that's the only one I can find with him actually at the crease.

(BTW, it looked considerably better than that when he was actually playing serious levels of cricket. MUCH better, and that's saying something because even in that photo of him as an aged man, you can still see something of the effortless grace that's in that action)
"Effortless grace"? He's standing there rolling his arm over! Given his footwearI very much doubt he's even taken a single step by way of run-up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's odd that he literally appears to have stepped out of the office, yet the batsman in shot is wearing proper cricket gear.

Either way, do you not feel you can still see something of how he bowled from it? There's clearly no great effort being made there, but he still has the high arm, the perfect wrist and the nice straight back.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He's bowling the first ball in a charity match. I imagine that once he'd done this he returned to his office.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's odd that he literally appears to have stepped out of the office, yet the batsman in shot is wearing proper cricket gear.

Either way, do you not feel you can still see something of how he bowled from it? There's clearly no great effort being made there, but he still has the high arm, the perfect wrist and the nice straight back.
If that wasn't Richard Hadlee there's no way you'd look at it and think THAT.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This is probably asking the obvious but is Steyn's percieved status as poor amongst best bowlers in the world due to his often poor accuracy?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Heck, I think he's up there with the best of all time at this stage of his career, I'm just trying to understand the other side of the argument.
The argument is basically that at most other points in cricket history, certainly since WWII, there has been such depth of fast bowling talent that the man considered the best in the world at any given time is also by extension one of the greatest ever. The relative dearth in genuinely outstanding fast men right now means that the bar has been lowered.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's just as accurate as Donald was in the early stages of his career
Is he really though? Unless you've got detailed pitchmaps, I don't see how you can really know that.

Donald had a reputation for being wild early in his career through to his mid-20s, but youngish bowlers often get that, especially if they're very quick, and it's not always warranted.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The argument is basically that at most other points in cricket history, certainly since WWII, there has been such depth of fast bowling talent that the man considered the best in the world at any given time is also by extension one of the greatest ever. The relative dearth in genuinely outstanding fast men right now means that the bar has been lowered.
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I do disagree though as the lack of fast bowling talent around does not detract from Steyn's achievements to strike so often in a period which is commonly accepted to have the consistently flattest pitches of recent history, but rather slightly invalidates them, perhaps requiring more bowling in different conditions over more time to fully prove him as a good talent.

Redbacks

International Captain
He bowled a few wayward balls down the leg side in the recent Aus series, however he didn't seem to have an issue with accuracy that was highly noticeable. Every now and then he has the ability to bowl that 'gem' delivery which shapes away a little from the batsman. If he increases the occurrence of that delivery he will become an even greater proposition.