• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Spot Fixing Scandal

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah they also said the bookies had a buffer, so they'd tell him 14 but even 13 off the over was a win

Ruckus

International Captain
hmm apparently was going to get something like $150,000 for it as well. I'd give Tendulkar an atomic wedgie for that frankly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wiping out the betting racket is the only solution.
Serious organised crime is so far ahead of any national police/security services it's untrue. They'd have a better chance of walking on water than "wiping out" this sort activity.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Unconfirmed reports that Chandila has named 2 more players.Ankeet Chavan has confessed apparently.
Sreesanth saying he wasn't involved and is being dragged in due to some other bookie.

If they don't have all on tape or have cash trail, will be extremely tough to prove based on circumstantial evidence in court at least. There cricket career will be largely over either way probably.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For that much money, if you're not near the international XI - why wouldn't you do it? Unless you're in a place like UK and you can actually go to jail for it.

centurymaker

International Captain
Oh ok, fair enough. The article I read didn't say more than that amount, but another one I just read did, so yeah I guess that's settled. Even still though, it seems a bit of a risky strategy to me...I mean 14 runs or more is a lot off an over and you couldn't ever be that confident the batsmen will place their shots to get enough boundaries, even off the rank deliveries - and it goes to show as well, because apparently Sreesanth only managed to concede 13 off one of his. The guy can't even cheat well.
And I just watched those deliveries and they were all rank but Shaun Marsh couldn't put away the first few, so it is a rather risky thing to ask for from the players.

bagapath

International Captain
For that much money, if you're not near the international XI - why wouldn't you do it? Unless you're in a place like UK and you can actually go to jail for it.
Ha ha ha...

I remember not topping my class for the first time in my eighth grade - something I was regularly doing since kindergarten in the only school in our small village. I was supposed to be a bright kid in everyone's eyes. So I was terribly upset about someone else beating me to the first rank for the first time and I was sobbing my heart out; until my granny caught me and asked me how many kids were in my class. I said 50. She got really angry that I was so selfish that I wanted to come first every time. She asked me to think of the other 49 kids and imagine how badly they all would want to come first too. She told me the world is not made specially for me or any other individual. Then she lectured me about not being greedy, self-obsessed and materialistic.

It was sound advice because I didn't come first in many things I tried later in my life (and I expect to face failures in future also) - but I have never had self-pity for not realizing my goals or cheated in desperation or faced peer pressure resulting in jealousy or compromised on core values for materialistic things. I assume that it is what many parents teach their kids - except those idiots who scream at their children for coming last in the running race.

It is possible that all these guys who are caught today were also brought up on correct and simple foundations. But greed does take over some people at times. And assholes like Sreesanth reek of self-obsession and cheap materialism so obviously that they are X marked targets for anyone from the crime world wanting to exploit them.

Here is a question: If one gets cynical and says everyone has a price, do you think it is possible to buy and fix matches through bradman, holding and dravid too?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Best thing to happen to IPL since IPL started. "Fixing in IPL" is such music to ears. Here's hoping for more scandals so that either BCCI scraps the tournament or the fans abandon it.

EDIT: And Sreesanth being implicated is also very fitting.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Best thing to happen to IPL since IPL started. "Fixing in IPL" is such music to ears. Here's hoping for more scandals so that either BCCI scraps the tournament or the fans abandon it.

EDIT: And Sreesanth being implicated is also very fitting.
I sincerely hope you're joking.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I sincerely hope you're joking.
I am half joking but half smirking at this. I will be distressed if it happened in test, ODI or t20 international. IPL is a farcical tournament. Anything that damages its reputation and legitimacy is welcome.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I am half joking but half smirking at this. I will be distressed if it happened in test, ODI or t20 international. IPL is a farcical tournament. Anything that damages its reputation and legitimacy is welcome.
The thing is though if bookies have IPL players in their hands then they can get them to do stuff in international cricket as well. I'm sure the IPL bookies will be trying to get players from all over in their pockets.