• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's 29/9 or Pakistan's 100 off the last 5 : what was more shocking ?

smash84

The Tiger King
Personally 9/29 was worse. "Strongest batting lineup in the world", home conditions, huge platform, not much pressure - and they do that?
100 in 5 overs was bad but you have to see the bowlers. I thought 96 WC quarterfinal was bad because Waqar got smashed for 40 runs (??) in his 2 overs IIRC or some huge amount. 100 in overs is really bad but 29/9 for the best batting line-up in the world?

29/9 must be unparalleled for a batting line-up of such quality in the history of ODIs I suppose.

tooextracool

International Coach
Cannot fathom how India's middle order batsman were worse than Pakistan's bowlers bowling full tosses to Ross Taylor after giving him multiple lives.Indias 29/9 was poor yes, but its made poor only when you discount everything that happened before that. They set themselves a target of 380+ and went for broke which was a huge mistake and certainly in the end it was catastrophic. Certainly I would argue that NZ's 100 off the last 5 was more shocking for me to hear about than a collapse of 29/9.

smash84

The Tiger King
Cannot fathom how India's middle order batsman were worse than Pakistan's bowlers bowling full tosses to Ross Taylor after giving him multiple lives.Indias 29/9 was poor yes, but its made poor only when you discount everything that happened before that. They set themselves a target of 380+ and went for broke which was a huge mistake and certainly in the end it was catastrophic. Certainly I would argue that NZ's 100 off the last 5 was more shocking for me to hear about than a collapse of 29/9.
Of course there is an argument for both points which is why there is this thread in the first place :p...........

yeah but you have to see things in context for the Pak match as well..........Taylor was dropped on 0 and 4........and they were straight forward chances.........one of them similar to the chance that Sehwag got yesterday

pup11

International Coach
Think Taylor's hitting was the more stunning performance myself.
Love Taylor as a batsman but still depositing full-tosses over the ropes isn't the most awesome achievement ever, but for a batting team like India to lose 9 of their wickets for 29 runs is just unreal to say the very least.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Collapses are fairly common. 9/29 is one of the gigantic proportions as well. But you won't see 100 of 5 overs often even against a minnow side. That just happen very very rarely.

kingkallis

International Coach
29/9 - no question about it!

It gets worst when we see the likes of SRT, GG, Yuvraj, Dhoni in those 9 names!

Blaze 18

Banned
Collapses are fairly common. 9/29 is one of the gigantic proportions as well. But you won't see 100 of 5 overs often even against a minnow side.That just happen very very rarely.
I might be wrong, but I think it has never happened. I read somewhere that the ninety-two runs scored in the last four overs is a world record.

Guru#1

Cricket Spectator
I think pakistan, even with a terrible team like canada..india didnt struggle as pakistan did..even tho both of them won

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

29/9 is not a correct representation of the situation though. It sounds as if SRT ang Gambhir didn't score much. Likes of SRT and Gambhir scored a 100 and a 50 before getting out and Dhoni wasn't out If I remember right.

smash84

The Tiger King

I think you have actually hit the nail on the head. It is when such big names crop up in that 9/29 that really makes it spectacular.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon 29/9 considering the batting line-up is incredible. Just to get an idea, double the score and take away 1 more wicket and that is essentially bowling out a great ODI batting side for 58.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not really because as has been said a billion times in this thread, that assumption is based on the fact that Tendulkar and Gambhir scored 0. The whole team went out there with the intention to slog and get 400, and before they knew it they had tossed away all of their momentum and a majority of their wickets.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon 29/9 considering the batting line-up is incredible. Just to get an idea, double the score and take away 1 more wicket and that is essentially bowling out a great ODI batting side for 58.
Yes, Take away the biggest partnership of the game and then start the stats.