• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's 29/9 or Pakistan's 100 off the last 5 : what was more shocking ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh: Yeah it makes it quite misleading.

Still, both were so awful.
Nah, no more misleading than omitting the preceding 45 odd overs bowled by Pakistan when NZ looked to have been kept pretty well under control. Both shockers really, as you said.

The batting collapse was more shocking, to me anyway, just because I've come to accept the utterly absurd from Pakistan for so long now.

Bun

Banned
Personally 9/29 was worse. "Strongest batting lineup in the world", home conditions, huge platform, not much pressure - and they do that?
they also put up 267 for onne before that. lol how the world has come to when a near 300 score is seen as a batting failure, which could have been defended had dhoni showed some brains and let harby bowl da last over

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, no more misleading than omitting the preceding 45 odd overs bowled by Pakistan when NZ looked to have been kept pretty well under control.
Yeah but no one made a statement similar to Ikki equating India being bowled all out for 58 similar to Pakistan. If they were to do that, they'd have said 100 off 5 overs = 1000 runs off 50 overs :ph34r:

Bun

Banned
I reckon 29/9 considering the batting line-up is incredible. Just to get an idea, double the score and take away 1 more wicket and that is essentially bowling out a great ODI batting side for 58.
Mate how about adding 267? 8-)

Bun

Banned
Regardless of all this, I think Sachin and Sehwag could have taken the batting powerplay immediately after 15th over. That would have made Steyn to exhaust a few more overs still when the ball was good and the batsmen on song.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Regardless of all this, I think Sachin and Sehwag could have taken the batting powerplay immediately after 15th over. That would have made Steyn to exhaust a few more overs still when the ball was good and the batsmen on song.
My mate and I were saying that as well. Made perfect sense.

Spark

Global Moderator
they also put up 267 for onne before that. lol how the world has come to when a near 300 score is seen as a batting failure, which could have been defended had dhoni showed some brains and let harby bowl da last over
And this excuses it... how?

Uppercut

I found India's collapse much more shocking. Convential (and correct) wisdom states that wickets in hand and set batsmen going into the last ten overs leads to carnage. When you get 29/9 instead it's like wtf.

Uppercut

After 39 overs India were 258/1 with Sachin Tendulkar and Gautam Gambhir well set at the crease and Yuvraj, Dhoni, Kohli and Yusuf Pathan still to bat. And Harbhajan Singh after that.

It really was the absolute opposite of what I was expecting to happen.

tooextracool

International Coach
neither is 100 in 5 overs in that case.
I think this is fairly simple really. To say 29/9 implies that both Gambhir and Tendulkar scored close to nothing which is fairly obviously a lie. 29/7 is a more accurate reflection of what happened because 2 of the 9 players scored a serious amount of runs. If 2 openers have a partnership of 300 and get out within 2 balls of each other you wouldnt really call that a collapse of 0/2.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
neither is 100 in 5 overs in that case.
Why Not ? According to Cricinfo :-

End of over 45 (14 runs) New Zealand 202/5 (RR: 4.48) LRPL Taylor 75* (109b 4x4 1x6) Shahid Afridi 10-0-55-1 NL McCullum 12* (7b 1x4 1x6) Umar Gul 9-1-24-2

End of over 50 (19 runs) New Zealand 302/7 (RR: 6.04) KD Mills 7* (3b 1x4) Abdur Rehman 10-0-60-1 LRPL Taylor 131* (124b 8x4 7x6) Abdul Razzaq 4-0-49-0

So an exact total of 100 runs were scored in last 5 overs. There is no ambiguity here compared to the 29/9 situation which suggest that last 9 wicket fell for only 29 runs .

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Take away the biggest partnership of the game and then start the stats.
That's like denying Pakistan's poor last few overs because it still only meant they conceded a little over 300 (which is far from poor and is gettable) in total.

I guess I find the two different because wickets are finite whereas runs aren't - technically. I can see a team conceding a ridiculous amount of runs in the last few overs but that in itself is not likely to lose you a game. Whilst 29/9 is not going to lose you a game in itself either, it is probably far more likely to. The former has 45 overs left to balance against whereas the latter has 1 wicket to salvage a match. The former also rests on the performance of a handful of players (2-3) whereas the latter takes place because of the underperformance of almost an entire team.

I look at it that way because in conjunction with what happened in both matches neither team actually ruined the rest their chances because of their lapses and were well-poised regardless.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned

End of over 45 (14 runs) New Zealand 202/5 (RR: 4.48) LRPL Taylor 75* (109b 4x4 1x6) Shahid Afridi 10-0-55-1 NL McCullum 12* (7b 1x4 1x6) Umar Gul 9-1-24-2

End of over 50 (19 runs) New Zealand 302/7 (RR: 6.04) KD Mills 7* (3b 1x4) Abdur Rehman 10-0-60-1 LRPL Taylor 131* (124b 8x4 7x6) Abdul Razzaq 4-0-49-0

So an exact total of 100 runs were scored in last 5 overs. There is no ambiguity here compared to the 29/9 situation which suggest that last 9 wicket fell for only 29 runs .
Isn't that true? :unsure: The last nine wickets did fall for twenty-nine runs.

smash84

The Tiger King

Isn't that true? :unsure: The last nine wickets did fall for twenty-nine runs.
same as blaze on this...........isn't that true????