• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This was brought up a while ago in the IPL thread. Merging in 2 minutes.
Might've been worth bunging it in saggers's IPL & its General Direness thread for me.

It was inevitable anyway, the Windies' board & the IPL seems a marriage consumated on the very banks of the Styx. If the former can lose half their team over a sponsorship row it doesn't take s soothsayer to see what would happen when the IPL started wheeling barrows full of money to its player's doors.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3. I hv highlighted the part where you said that those 3 will be the first choice and just in case you forgot that i will quote it again
Mate, I said I expect. As in me. As in Mr Mxyzptlk. As in Liam Camps. As in not the manager of any IPL franchise.

Again, I repeat. I stated my opinion. I never said the earth would quake if these truths did not come to pass.
Now that you hv cleared that it's best batsman, I disagree again .... I think Sangakara is the best batsman in Mohali squad
I said "most accomplished", not "best". That said, I agree that Sangakkara is more accomplished than Sarwan. But again, I was talking about batsmen, and I consider Sangakkara an allrounder. I should have been more clear.
5. You can keep honking on C'paul value but he will struggle to fit in B'lores plans .... I guess, he is taken more as a back up .... if Zak missies out, B'lore will need Kallis .... White will play .... Boucher will play .... and then one from Styen, Bracken, Misbah or Ross depending up on the X1 composition
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that Cameron White and Mark Boucher would sooner play than Chanderpaul? Wow. That definitely means he's the most under-rated batsman in world cricket. White, I mean. Not Chanderpaul. He's just rubbish.

And Misbah-ul-Haq is a fine Twenty20 player and should be first choice too.
7. I know C'paul can hit the ball hard, even I can .... SR is a good indicator of how effective a player has been when taken along with the avg ....
Incorrect. Like an average, a SR is a generalization. It does not always reflect the ability or even the likelihood of a player to score quickly, because it considers all the highs and lows.

In the case of Chanderpaul, he adjusts to situations very well. For West Indies he doesn't usually have the freedom to play shots, and yet he still scores surprisingly quickly when he can. His innings in this game is one of the many examples of his potency. I'm not just looking at stats here. I saw the innings and it was brilliant. His improvisation and ball placement was superb. He may not end up being first choice, but he should be pretty damn close.

Mr Mxyzptlk

They perform different roles really... Watson is someone who'd bat in the top three and Mascharenas certainly wouldn't.
But Mascarenhas is still a better allrounder, for mine. And if you're picking a team with mind to choose one allrounder, he should rank ahead of Watson.

Besides, in Twenty20 you don't necessarily need proper batsmen in the top 3. Sometimes it's harmful. See Salman Butt.

Mr Mxyzptlk

ICL releases players for international duty, it's the Board's that wont select them e.g. Shane Bond
That whole situation is dire. Bond claims to have written permission to join the league, but once the board realized how important it is to stay friends with the BCCI, it flipped. So many things I hate about the BCCI...

That said, there's no proof other than Bond's word that he actually did get permission, let alone in writing. And THAT said, I believe Bond. I don't think he would just jump ship on his New Zealand career.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
But Mascarenhas is still a better allrounder, for mine. And if you're picking a team with mind to choose one allrounder, he should rank ahead of Watson.

Besides, in Twenty20 you don't necessarily need proper batsmen in the top 3. Sometimes it's harmful. See Salman Butt.
It will be interesting to see who they pick, I'm intruiged to see how Warne rates them both, having played with both.

Domestic T20 stats have Watson a fair way ahead, but Mascharenas has more international T20 experience.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It will be interesting to see who they pick, I'm intruiged to see how Warne rates them both, having played with both.

Domestic T20 stats have Watson a fair way ahead, but Mascharenas has more international T20 experience.
Actually domestic T20 stats reveal Watson to bowl with far less regularity than Mascarenhas, so I wouldn't read too much into the difference in economy rate. Can't be compared on batting because, as you said, they bat in two different areas of the lineup. It will indeed be interesting to see how it unfolds.

biased indian

International Coach
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that Cameron White and Mark Boucher would sooner play than Chanderpaul? Wow. That definitely means he's the most under-rated batsman in world cricket. White, I mean. Not Chanderpaul. He's just rubbish.

And Misbah-ul-Haq is a fine Twenty20 player and should be first choice too.
Jacques Kallis,Cameron White,Mark Boucher,Nathan Bracken,Dale Steyn,Shivnarine Chanderpaul,Misbah-ul-Haq,Ross Taylor,Abdur Razzak

Chanderpaul is in no way an automatic choice for the bangalore team for the first 2-3 games altleast..and IMO he may be only the 4th choice at the best

i will pick kallis,misbha, boucher over him any day in a T20 Game,,and with 2-3 quality bowlers available bangalore will have to go with them also

biased indian

International Coach
And this was in cricinfo the most likely side for bangalore

1 Bharat Chipli, 2 J Arunkumar, 3 Rahul Dravid, 4 Jacques Kallis/Misbah-ul-Haq 5 Virat Kohli, 6 Cameron White, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Zaheer Khan, 9 Anil Kumble, 10 Nathan Bracken\Dale Steyn, 11 Vinay Kumar.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointed in Bangalore. They've gone for a pretty no-frills website, just like their team I suppose :laugh:

Delhi's site looks promising and Rajasthan looks very user friendly and quite nice to look at as well.

So that's half the team's down, hope the others are good too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Someone should tell the West Indies players they only need to play four matches per season to get their full payment. They can still play the Australian series and not lose any money. A clear sign of lack of communication. TBH though I think the players know this. They are just trying to piss off the Windies board, after the contract issues they had recently. I reckon there might be more to this story then just players picking money over country.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Someone should tell the West Indies players they only need to play four matches per season to get their full payment. They can still play the Australian series and not lose any money. A clear sign of lack of communication. TBH though I think the players know this. They are just trying to piss off the Windies board, after the contract issues they had recently. I reckon there might be more to this story then just players picking money over country.
Great Ive been waiting for clarity on the contract issue. Can you show me the official link that breaks down the payment and what is due to whom and when and after how many games. Thanks

Mr Mxyzptlk

And this was in cricinfo the most likely side for bangalore

1 Bharat Chipli, 2 J Arunkumar, 3 Rahul Dravid, 4 Jacques Kallis/Misbah-ul-Haq 5 Virat Kohli, 6 Cameron White, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Zaheer Khan, 9 Anil Kumble, 10 Nathan Bracken\Dale Steyn, 11 Vinay Kumar.
Your point is fair, but I really have no faith in a system (Cricinfo's) that does not make Misbah a firm selection. He's possibly the best T20 middle order option in the world. That said, without Kallis the team looks short on bowling, with White a useless bowler.

And I concede that Chanderpaul would be outside of the first XI, considering the record of White. I don't rate him as international quality, but he has been spectacular in T20 cricket to date. I didn't realize quite how good it is. If anything it means that Chanderpaul will almost certainly be excess by the time of the final stages, even if he doesn't start that way. Because White won't be required in the Aussie Test team and SA are free for the entirety of the competition. It's a good thing for a WI fan.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm starting to think that it's an overreaction by the board. It all doesn't make sense and I doubt that the players have given any indication that they would play the IPL ahead of country. Sounds like the board being ill-advised drama queens, rather than the players. I've only heard comments from the board on this issue, not even referencing any firm statements made by the players.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'm starting to think that it's an overreaction by the board. It all doesn't make sense and I doubt that the players have given any indication that they would play the IPL ahead of country. Sounds like the board being ill-advised drama queens, rather than the players. I've only heard comments from the board on this issue, not even referencing any firm statements made by the players.
Yeah, I thought the same when I first heard the statement. The players would have to play for West Indies until and unless the board gives NOC from what I understand. So don't see why the West Indies players have to miss the tests except if the WICB concede.

biased indian

International Coach
Great Ive been waiting for clarity on the contract issue. Can you show me the official link that breaks down the payment and what is due to whom and when and after how many games. Thanks
i think if u play 4 games u r guaranteed only 25% of the pay and remaining is based on the number of games u play..like u have to be available for all games to be paid 100%

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I thought the same when I first heard the statement. The players would have to play for West Indies until and unless the board gives NOC from what I understand. So don't see why the West Indies players have to miss the tests except if the WICB concede.
NOC only apply to ICL players, they don't have anything to do with the IPL.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
i think if u play 4 games u r guaranteed only 25% of the pay and remaining is based on the number of games u play..like u have to be available for all games to be paid 100%
I doubt that would be the case as injuried players will get unfairly treated in those circumstanes, as well as fringe players.