• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul could miss Tests.

This is utterly ridiculous. There is no way that the IPL should take precedence over Test cricket. I suppose there's an argument for ODI cricket, but Tests is another kettle of kettlefish.
I don't understand. If the WICB does not release them to play - they cannot play....

It's part of the contract - your international committments (all kinds, including T20I, ODI, and Tests) always come first.

"I have the NOCs for the players, and I have to release the players, but I am not going to not release the players because they would go anyway,"
This makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently there are indications that they may be released to play. I didn't understand it myself, but unless the players choose IPL over West Indies, I don't see how it can happen without WICB approval. Even if the players choose IPL, they'd face a legal struggle with the WICB to do so.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Apparently there are indications that they may be released to play. I didn't understand it myself, but unless the players choose IPL over West Indies, I don't see how it can happen without WICB approval. Even if the players choose IPL, they'd face a legal struggle with the WICB to do so.
But without the certificate, the IPL franchises will not allow them to play. If they quit WI cricket, they still cannot play for two years without a no objection certificate.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah that is the last thing anyone wants to see, players skipping their international commitments for a domestic comp is messed up.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo's Probable Sides...

Bangalore: 1 Bharat Chipli, 2 J Arunkumar, 3 Rahul Dravid, 4 Jacques Kallis/Misbah-ul-Haq 5 Virat Kohli, 6 Cameron White, 7 Mark Boucher (wk), 8 Zaheer Khan, 9 Anil Kumble, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Dale Steyn/Vinay Kumar.

Chennai: 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Stephen Fleming/ Abhinav Mukund, 3 Suresh Raina, 4 Jacob Oram, 5 Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt & wk), 6 Michael Hussey/S Badrinath, 7 Albie Mørkel/Parthiv Patel, 8 Joginder Sharma, 9 Napoleon Einstein, 10 Muttiah Muralitharan/ Makhaya Ntini, 11 Sudeep Tyagi/R Ashwin.

Delhi: 1 Virender Sehwag (capt), 2 Gautam Gambhir, 3 Shikhar Dhawan, 4 AB de Villiers/Shoaib Malik/Tillakaratne Dilshan, 5 Rajat Bhatia, 6 Manoj Tiwary, 7 Dinesh Karthik (wk), 8 Daniel Vettori, 9 Farveez Maharoof/Yo Mahesh, 10 Mohammad Asif, 11 Glenn McGrath.

Hyderabad: 1 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 2 DB Ravi Teja, 3 VVS Laxman (capt), 4 Arjun Yadav, 5 Andrew Symonds/Herschelle Gibbs, 6 Venugopal Rao/ Rohit Sharma, 7 Scott Styris/Shahid Afridi/Chamara Silva, 8 Pragyan Ojha, 9 Chaminda Vaas/Nuwan Zoysa, 10 RP Singh, 11 D Kalyankrishna.

Jaipur: 1 Taruwar Kohli, 2 Graeme Smith, 3 Yusuf Pathan, 4 Mohammad Kaif, 5 Anup Revendkar, 6 Kamran Akmal (wk), 7 Shane Watson, 8 Ravindra Jadeja, 9 Shane Warne (capt) 10 Pankaj Singh, 11 Munaf Patel.

Kolkata: 1 Sourav Ganguly (capt), 2 Chris Gayle, 3 Brendon McCullum (wk), 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Laxmi Ratan Shukla, 6 Ajit Agarkar, 7 Murali Kartik, 8 Iqbal Abdulla/Saurasish Lahiri, 9 Shoaib Akhtar/Umar Gul, 10 Ishant Sharma, 11 Siddharth Kaul.

Mohali: 1 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 2 Irfan Pathan, 3 Tanmay Srivastava, 4 Yuvraj Singh, 5 Mahela Jayawardene/ Ramnaresh Sarwan/ Simon Katich, 6 James Hopes, 7 Piyush Chawla, 8 Ramesh Powar, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Ajitesh Argal, 11 Sreesanth.

Mumbai:
1 Sachin Tendulkar (capt), 2 Sanath Jayasuriya, 3 Ajinkya Rahane, 4 Robin Uthappa, 5 Manish Pandey, 6 Sourabh Tiwary, 7 Shaun Pollock, 8 Pinal Shah (wk), 9 Harbhajan Singh, 10, Lasith Malinga, 11 Dilhara Fernando.

Best looking side?
Ooo, that is a tough one. I've got to go with Mumbai as the strongest. That top six (with the exception of Pandey, who I have never heard of), seem very strong. I do believe that they would be wiser to go with Ashish Nehra or even Nayar than Dilhara Fernando who has seriously lost any sort of pace and venom which he once possessed. I'm liking the look of Jaipur too, but they lack any sort of pace or strike force in their attack, something which can't be said about Mohali, who have Lee and Sreesanth.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I know, what I don't understand is why?
The only reason I can think of is that the players have asked for them to be issued. Unionized players in the West Indies have a lot of power, it seems.

Firmly not supporting whatever teams Chanders, Gayle and Sarwan are on though.

ret

International Debutant
I guess, the WICB members are churning out conspiracy theories or may be trying to promote some hidden agenda as

1. No where have the 3 WI players said that they would skip the tests against the OZ
2. WICB official is assuming that the 3 players will probably prefer IPL over WI, if the franchises, the players represent, go on to the next stages
3. The IPL franchises have not made any such requests to the 3 WI players

I think it's an unfair call by the WICB officials to make such bogus statements and create issues wheere non exists

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Very strange. Though I tend to agree with the above post that it seems to be a fuss over nothing.

Id wait to see an exact declaration from the players before running to the press.

ret

International Debutant
considering the international players that the franchises hv, some of these 3 WI players may struggle to make it to the playing X1, if other overseas players are available for the franchises

and, i guess, the franchises would hv taken these clashing tours in consideration and created a back up plan

either the WICB officials know something that we don't or they are promoting some hidden agenda .... or may be they r just dumb :laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ramnaresh Sarwan (before he got injured) was one of the best ODI players in the world and is the most accomplished ODI player at his franchise.

Chris Gayle is considered one of the premier T20I players in the world and is certainly one of the most potent ODI players in the world. Ponting and Ganguly are the only players at Kolkata that could displace him, and they'll more likely play alongside him. Besides, neither has been in great nick lately.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been one of the best ODI openers in the world for years now. And his record at the top of the innings is comparable to practically every outstanding opener throughout history. At Bangalore he and Kallis are arguably the best limited overs batsmen. Dravid is also pretty good, but Chanders has been better in recent years.

Judging players purely on Twenty20 stats is unfair, as few players have participated in many such games. However Sarwan, Gayle and Chanderpaul, I expect, will be first choice for their franchises. At least to begin with. As such I believe it could end up being an issue.

ret

International Debutant
Ramnaresh Sarwan (before he got injured) was one of the best ODI players in the world and is the most accomplished ODI player at his franchise.

Chris Gayle is considered one of the premier T20I players in the world and is certainly one of the most potent ODI players in the world. Ponting and Ganguly are the only players at Kolkata that could displace him, and they'll more likely play alongside him. Besides, neither has been in great nick lately.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul has been one of the best ODI openers in the world for years now. And his record at the top of the innings is comparable to practically every outstanding opener throughout history. At Bangalore he and Kallis are arguably the best limited overs batsmen. Dravid is also pretty good, but Chanders has been better in recent years.

Judging players purely on Twenty20 stats is unfair, as few players have participated in many such games. However Sarwan, Gayle and Chanderpaul, I expect, will be first choice for their franchises. At least to begin with. As such I believe it could end up being an issue.
and I guess, Bucknor is the best umpire in the world :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

It was my way of saying that I don't completely agree with ur assesment on the WI players :)
I'd love to see your argument that Sarwan, Gayle and Chanderpaul aren't among the best ODI players in the world.

Simply because they're in a poor team does not make them poor or average individual players. There's a reason why these three players were enticed to the IPL.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Some stats:

- Sarwan has the 5th highest ODI average among active players. He's marginally ahead of Tendulkar, though Tendulkar has 407 innings under his belt. But if Sarwan plays as many ODIs as Tendulkar, he's on pace to score well over 14,000 runs.

- Gayle scored a fantastic T20I century against a good South African attack. Aside from that, his ODI record is a bit more than useful with both bat and ball.

- Since September of 2004, when batting in the top 3, Shivnarine Chanderpaul averages 59.24 in ODI cricket. In 32 innings he has 5 hundreds and 10 fifties. A 33% conversion rate. In that same time frame Tendulkar has played more than twice as many innings in the top 3 (70 inns), scoring 1 less hundred and 7 more fifties. His average is significantly lower, as is his runs-per-game.

Now argue that these players aren't among the best limited overs batsmen in the world.

ret

International Debutant
I'd love to see your argument that Sarwan, Gayle and Chanderpaul aren't among the best ODI players in the world.

Simply because they're in a poor team does not make them poor or average individual players. There's a reason why these three players were enticed to the IPL.
Let's take the overseas players of the respective teams .... only 4 can play in the X1 and they will be selected upon the composition of the respective sides

1. B'lore squad
Batsmen - Ross, Misbah, C'paul
Bowlers - Steyn, Bracken, Razzaq
All-rounders - White, Kallis
WK / wkeeping all-rounder - Boucher

2. Kol squad
Batsmen - Butt, Ponting, Hussey
Bowlers - Gul, Akthar,
All-rounders - Hafeez, Gayle
WK / Wkeeping all-rounder - McCullum, Taibu

3. Mohali squad
Batsmen - Sarwan, Pomersbach, Katich, Jayawardene
Bowlers - Mills, Lee
All-rounders - Hopes
WK / Wkeeping all-rounder - Sangakara

so I don't see C'paul being the Ist choice of his franchise .... same with Gayle and Sarwan, who is not the most accomplished ODI player for his franchisee, imo, as you claim

Mr Mxyzptlk

Still waiting for your justification.

I'm claiming Sarwan is the most accomplished ODI player at his franchise because he blatantly is. It's not my opinion. It's a statistical fact!

And it would take something incredible to justify leaving Gayle out of the first Kolkata game. As I've said, he's one of the highest regarded Twenty20 players in the world. He was bought for twice as much as Ricky Ponting. In fact, his price was more than Ponting and Hussey combined. Thoughts?

Chanderpaul's limited overs record speaks for itself. A batsman who will never get the appreciation he deserves.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think gayle will be first choice for kolkata. the 4 international players they will use should be: ponting, gayle, mccullum, and akhtar/gul .