• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
NOC only apply to ICL players, they don't have anything to do with the IPL.
The players do not need permission from the respective boards regarding international games? From whatever news was coming in earlier, it said that the IPL players would miss IPL games when internationals of their respective countries are going on as international games would be given preference. It will get very tricky if the Windies players miss tests because of IPL. An international window for IPL, as I mentioned very early in this thread, is very important.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The players do not need permission from the respective boards regarding international games? From whatever news was coming in earlier, it said that the IPL players would miss IPL games when internationals of their respective countries are going on as international games would be given preference. It will get very tricky if the Windies players miss tests because of IPL. An international window for IPL, as I mentioned very early in this thread, is very important.
It depends really on the individual contracts the players have with their boards. I'm not sure what the situation is with the West Indies, but some countries still have tour by tour contracts rather then seasonal contracts. I know in Sri Lanka, if a player is outside the top 15 contracted players, they can pull out of an international series for something like this and the board has no real control to stop them. A case in point was Atapattu and Bangladesh series when he pulled out to play for Lashings.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Might've been worth bunging it in saggers's IPL & its General Direness thread for me.

It was inevitable anyway, the Windies' board & the IPL seems a marriage consumated on the very banks of the Styx. If the former can lose half their team over a sponsorship row it doesn't take s soothsayer to see what would happen when the IPL started wheeling barrows full of money to its player's doors.
Or county cricket for that matter.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nothing new has happend quite a few times before.
It is pretty thin grounds where Brumby stands on when he keeps moaning about IPL. If English county cricket had more money, they would be trying to get bigger name West Indies players. I don't see how Brumby can be such a passionate English Premier League supporter while he dismisses IPL at the same time. It is very much double standards. To any one who might feel that I am defending the situation we find ourselves in right now where players might miss international games, I am not. It would be dire if they do but that does not mean that the IPL is evil or dire. IPL is very good for the game where I am concerned. IPL is very new and obviously situations which are far from ideal might arise. That doesn't mean that possible solutions (like say an international window for IPL) wont come up in the future.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh brother...why is Praveen stuck in Bangalore's fifty-for-no-loss-after-twenty-overs team? He may end up sitting out and watching Steyn, Zaheer and Vinay Kumar in every match. Delhi has blown it here.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I doubt that would be the case as injuried players will get unfairly treated in those circumstanes, as well as fringe players.
Nope, you have to be available, not necessarily fit to play. As long as you aren't off on international or other commitments and are with the team, you get paid.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nope. ICL players do not need a no objection certificate, they get banned anyway. All IPL players need a no objection certificate.
Stuart Law has got a NOC for example, which allows him to play county cricket after he is finished with ICL. Same applies to Kolpax ICL players, they have all been pretty much given NOC by their counties. As well as most Windies players like Hinds, Dillon and Best with regard to their domestic sides in the Windies. The Irish duo both got NOC after playing ICL. ICL players need them so they can still play in other competitions. Not all ICL players have been banned from domestic and international cricket

IPL players need NOC as well, but it is bit different as it is a ICC tournment. But they work pretty much the same way a county cricket. A board really has no true power to ban a player from playing as overseas player in county cricket to IPL, as they are ICC tournments. They don't actually need these NOC, it just the formal way to go about things.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nope, you have to be available, not necessarily fit to play. As long as you aren't off on international or other commitments and are with the team, you get paid.
So basically the same as most county contracts in regard to international unavailability. But instead of getting paid per month, your salary drops by matches.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Source?

Again, as for the last few weeks, Im finding it difficult to get reliable info on these contracts.

The stuff I do find is often conjecture with no reliable or official source cited.

Ive a strong suspicion that half this money will never get paid.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Apparently, Herald has gotten a full text of an IPL contract, but I can't find it on their website anywhere:

An excerpt:

On the first page of the contract, under the section marked “conditions”, IPL franchises are directed to “enable the Player to play for the Team without being in breach of any obligation to such national cricket board”.

The same condition, 1.1 (b), also states that a player must obtain a No Objection Certificate, which is described as certification “from [the player’s] national cricket board … which states that such national cricket board or other relevant person has no objection to the participation of the Player in the League or the Champions Tournament.”

In other words, an Australian player will not play in the IPL without the express permission of Cricket Australia. Modi, it seems, has been true to his word.
-Here

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
All I can really find is quite old info with Heath Mills, the New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association boss, calling Indian Premier League contracts “the worst contracts I’ve seen in professional sport”.

Basically they are 1 1/2 pages long and detail nothing. Compared to a detailed NZ contract that is 100 pages and fully explains all commitments and obligations from both sides.

Ive seen nothing to guarantee all players money if they are available. Apart from the BCCI guarantee which is different as that is just in case the League folds.

Ive seen nothing to guarantee injured players payment. The fact there is not guaranteed money for such a short tournament is laughable.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All I can really find is quite old info with Heath Mills, the New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association boss, calling Indian Premier League contracts “the worst contracts I’ve seen in professional sport”.

Basically they are 1 1/2 pages long and detail nothing. Compared to a detailed NZ contract that is 100 pages and fully explains all commitments and obligations from both sides.

Ive seen nothing to guarantee all players money if they are available. Apart from the BCCI guarantee which is different as that is just in case the League folds.

Ive seen nothing to guarantee injured players payment. The fact there is not guaranteed money for such a short tournament is laughable.
From that article, he seemed to be talking about the preliminary memorandum of understanding, not the full contracts. The full contracts came later than the date of that article (source).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From that article, he seemed to be talking about the preliminary memorandum of understanding, not the full contracts. The full contracts came later than the date of that article (source).
I cant find anything detailed since then. Could it be that this MoU is all there is? Im sure there may be later contracts but where are they?