• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Ponting been awesome in ODIs or something? Thought he'd been rubbish in Tests of late. His captaincy is horrible so wondering how he got in the overall cricketer category.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hmmm, some strange picks there. I mean, Harris would be a fair nomination for emerging player of the year, but Test player of the year? When Swann doesn't get a mention? Don't know whether Ricky really has merited his spot in the short list this year either. Still, even those shortlisted are strictly competeing, if there's any justice, for second place between Watto! :wub:

Spark

Global Moderator
Has Ponting been awesome in ODIs or something? Thought he'd been rubbish in Tests of late. His captaincy is horrible so wondering how he got in the overall cricketer category.
Very much so. Top scorer in the period, he's been superb.

---

Why Clarke is in the PotY and not Test PoTY is beyond me, it should be the other way around. But we could go on and on...

---

If Sehwag or Tendulkar don't win it then I'll be truly astonished.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
For the period being considered:
Test batting table

Test Bowling Table

ODI Batting Table

ODI Bowling Table

Predictions:
As the leading wicket taker, and second highest run scorer for the format in this period, Watson must surely be a lock of ODI player of the year.

Very glad I don't have to pick between Sehwag and Steyn for Test player of the year.

I would suggest that Sachin would be a deserving winner of the Overall player of the year, given his performances in both formats.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Cricketer of the year - Sachin, Sehwag or Watson
Test player - Sehwag
ODI cricketer - Sachin, AB or Watson
Emerging player - Ameer

Spark

Global Moderator
For the period being considered:
Test batting table

Test Bowling Table

ODI Batting Table

ODI Bowling Table

Predictions:
As the leading wicket taker, and second highest run scorer for the format in this period, Watson must surely be a lock of ODI player of the year.

Very glad I don't have to pick between Sehwag and Steyn for Test player of the year.

I would suggest that Sachin would be a deserving winner of the Overall player of the year, given his performances in both formats.
Basically this.

andyc

Think you'll find most people think Ponting's ODI captaincy is quite good tbh. His Test claims are a lot more debatable, but I quite rate him in the short stuff.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Test player of the year: Virender Sehwag
ODI player of the year: Shane Watson
Cricketer of the year: Sachin Tendulkar
Emerging player of the year: Eoin Morgan/Mohammad Amir/Umar Akmal (can't call this one)

Jarquis

I wouldn't begrude Watson the ODI award, but he has played a lot more games than some of the other nominees. So the fact he's scored more runs is to be expected really.
I think the fact ABDV has 4 tons and 4 half centuries in only 16 innings is incredible. 855 runs @ 71.25 with a SR of 103. Pretty damn special.

His bowling will win him it though, rightfully so tbf, just wanted to make a case for someone else :p

Sir Alex

Banned
Test player of the year: Virender Sehwag
ODI player of the year: Shane Watson
Cricketer of the year: Sachin Tendulkar
Emerging player of the year: Eoin Morgan/Mohammad Amir/Umar Akmal (can't call this one)
Very good list. Although I think Steyn has had a good year too, so he might be in the reckoning.
Sachin deserves cricketer of the year for sure. He's had a phenomenal year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin will walk best cricketer this year you'd think.

Steyn has a good shout for test cricketer.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I wouldn't begrude Watson the ODI award, but he has played a lot more games than some of the other nominees. So the fact he's scored more runs is to be expected really.
I think the fact ABDV has 4 tons and 4 half centuries in only 16 innings is incredible. 855 runs @ 71.25 with a SR of 103. Pretty damn special.

His bowling will win him it though, rightfully so tbf, just wanted to make a case for someone else :p
Would in some ways be tempted to agree with you, but I think his workload in terms of matches this year is actually another point in his favour, in terms of consistency. As a genuine allrounder, he sustained that performance across a stack of matches - and it's not like his averages and strike rates were bad either - batting at 40 with a SR of 90, and bowling with an average of 21 is more than solid.

Has been especially nice for long term fans who were repeatedly disappointed by his injuries to see him being so durable and consistent.

Also, just to note, the Aussies played a ****-tin of ODIs in the period compared to others! Was quite surprised to see that.

Last edited: