• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Easy to forget the fact Watto's ODI record is seriously good tbh. Averages over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball; as far as I can see, Klusener and RTD are the only other two players in the same boat, and RTD obvs. fairly inflated from playing minnows all the time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Would in some ways be tempted to agree with you, but I think his workload in terms of matches this year is actually another point in his favour, in terms of consistency. As a genuine allrounder, he sustained that performance across a stack of matches - and it's not like his averages and strike rates were bad either - batting at 40 with a SR of 90, and bowling with an average of 21 is more than solid.

Has been especially nice for long term fans who were repeatedly disappointed by his injuries to see him being so durable and consistent.

Also, just to note, the Aussies played a ****-tin of ODIs in the period compared to others! Was quite surprised to see that.
We have played an absolute bucketload of them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I tend not to pay much notice unless it's the WC, or I happen to catch it on telly. I meant surprised that it was so many more than other countries, I knew we seemed to be inventing extra ODI series at a scary rate.

Sir Alex

Banned
I tend not to pay much notice unless it's the WC, or I happen to catch it on telly. I meant surprised that it was so many more than other countries, I knew we seemed to be inventing extra ODI series at a scary rate.
And stop playing one-dayers in that format altogether in domestic cricket. Really very very wierd indeed.

Jellybeans

Cricket Spectator
I wouldn't begrude Watson the ODI award, but he has played a lot more games than some of the other nominees. So the fact he's scored more runs is to be expected really.
I think the fact ABDV has 4 tons and 4 half centuries in only 16 innings is incredible. 855 runs @ 71.25 with a SR of 103. Pretty damn special.

His bowling will win him it though, rightfully so tbf, just wanted to make a case for someone else :p
I'd be glad if AB got the ODI award this time around. You don't see such sensational batting in such a short while and then he also levelled the record for most ODI tons in a row.
I thought there was a bit of injustice done to this bloke last year when he wasn't chosen among final candidates for any nomination.

And the ICC short list sucks as usual. :dry:

Dont see why Swann should be there, stats dont tell half the story, Swann is just a Banger Basher. And with Asif drug issues he should not be anywhere near an ICC award.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just pointing out that he didn't just perform against Bangas

The other team he faced in the time period was Australia, averaging 27 with the ball. I suppose you would like that discounted too.

A player can only beat what is put in front of them, Swann averaged 26.5 with the bat and 29 with the ball in the qualification period. He should clearly be nominated, nobody could objectively possibly think otherwise.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dont see why Swann should be there, stats dont tell half the story, Swann is just a Banger Basher. And with Asif drug issues he should not be anywhere near an ICC award.
Its not the best player in the SA v Eng series awards.
Streetwise, you've already received bans for such posting. If your sole aim is to stoke flame wars, then you leave the moderation team with very few options.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems strange that Swann is not on the list,arguably one of the most important players from any side in world cricket over the last couple of years and for the year just gone he was just as good as the one before.

Then again it is ICC and nothing they do surprises me,pee ups and breweries spring to mind.

Spark

Global Moderator
We're just hearing that Graeme Swann has been added to the long-list of nominations for ICC Cricketer of the Year. It was a shock when he wasn't there yesterday, so this is an interesting development. We'll bring you more as we get it.
lolfail