• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lately, yes.

Dravid test and overall in 2004.

Kallis test and overall in 2005.

Ponting test and overall in 2006.

Ponting overall but nothing else in 2007.

Shiv overall but nothing else in 2008.

Mitch overall but nothing else in 2009.

Sachin overall but nothing else in 2010.

So I guess it is a trend in the last 3-4 years, yes.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Whilst I think Sachin is worthy, Scaly does probably have a point.

Cricketer of the year awards since the award began in 2004:

2004: Dravid
2005: Kallis and Flintoff
2006: Ponting
2007: Ponting
2008: Shiv
2009: Mitch
2010: Tendulkar

Mitch the only out and out bowler who ever won it. Obviously Freddy and Kallis were allrounders though.

And Johnson getting it was a travesty, dead set

R_D

International Debutant
Lately, yes.

Dravid test and overall in 2004.

Kallis test and overall in 2005.

Ponting test and overall in 2006.

Ponting overall but nothing else in 2007.

Shiv overall but nothing else in 2008.

Mitch overall but nothing else in 2009.

Sachin overall but nothing else in 2010.

So I guess it is a trend in the last 3-4 years, yes.
Suggestion of bias towards Sachin i assume.... ?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Steyn is an absolute freak tbh, Would have been my Test Cricketer of the year,

In the judging period,

41 wickets in 8 games @ 20.7

147 runs @ 21

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Suggestion of bias towards Sachin i assume.... ?
What do you mean?

I haven't looked at the stats, but I think judging that Sehwag was a better test batsman than Sachin in the qualifying period (basically August 2009 to August 2010) is a perfectly valid judgment by the ICC Awards panel.

I think however Sachin was clearly the better overall cricketer than Sehwag. Sachin's ODI exploits in that period were better.

R_D

International Debutant
What do you mean?

I haven't looked at the stats, but I think judging that Sehwag was a better test batsman than Sachin in the qualifying period (basically August 2009 to August 2010) is a perfectly valid judgment by the ICC Awards panel.

I think however Sachin was clearly the better overall cricketer than Sehwag. Sachin's ODI exploits in that period were better.
I was probably reading too much into it... I thought Marcus might have been suggesting that.
I agree that Sachin was just a bit better than Sehwag overall this year.

I Apologises if thats not what you were suggesting Marcus.

Have had few drinks tonight.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ahh, I think I see where you're coming from.

But no, I was being genuine :) I would've been more surprised had Sachin won Test/ODI + Cricketer of the year.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Lankans used to do well with it too I think.

It's seriously a condescending award for mine. "well you aren't winning much, but you sure do try."
They might as well have given a patronising pat on the head to the unlucky NZer who received it (if in fact we bothered sending someone there to get the spazzo award).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Having looked at the stats and browsing some scorecards, I think the people responsible for the award got it pretty spot on. Sachin was indeed pipped by both Sehwag in tests (who scored more runs at a higher average), and de Villiers in ODIs (who scored more runs at a higher average). Sachin may have been able to take the ODI award out if he didn't rest in so many games I guess, but nonetheless, de Villiers has been pretty damn epic in ODIs.

Sachin:
During the period under consideration for the award - August 24, 2009 to August 10, 2010 - Tendulkar scored 1064 runs at an average of 81.84 in ten Tests. He made 914 runs in 17 ODIs at 65.28, and also scored the format's first double-century against South Africa in Gwalior.

Sehwag:
Sehwag scored 1282 runs in ten Tests at an average of 85.46 between August 2009 and 2010, which was the period under consideration for the award. He was also named in the Test Team of the Year, which was captained by MS Dhoni.

de Villiers:
During the voting period, de Villiers helped his side to ten victories in 16 ODIs, scoring 855 runs at an average of 71.25 and at a rate of 103.38 runs per 100 balls faced. In that time he hit four fifties and four centuries, and also picked up five dismissals in the four matches in which he played as wicketkeeper.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin deserved the award IMO.

But this people's choice award is a farce and should be discontinued. Even in Sachin's average year, army of Sachin fans will overwhelm all other contenders (provided he is nominated).