• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC-Asia Split - Would you really care?

A split between the ICC and Asia, would you care?

• Yes - A split would damage the long term future of cricket

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • No - We don't need them, and they don't need us

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Like I said, even if there is a split, there will always be bilateral matches between India and England & Australia.
What makes you so certain of that?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sanz said:
I guess you live in South Africa, do you remember the public outcry in South Africa after Indian police first came up with allegations against 'Cronje' ? Asians were beaten up, Asian properties were damaged, All radio stations wer clogged with anti-Asian racial slurs and support calls for Cronje.

May be you dont or even if you do, you will find some way to justify it but I think what happened in SA against Asians in the aftermath of Cronje accusation was worse than you will ever see in any sub-continental country.
Funnily enough I remember Cronje's coach, one RA Woolmer, ending up with copious egg on his face when he was very quick to defend the deeply religious Saffie captain. "Hansie's no cheater" was the cry...

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
Presumably because the Indians bring the money.

No, not just the Indians. Due to the conversion rates, playing England would probably bring in as much if not more. But those three are the primary 'money-getters' for the respective boards, they wouldn't give that up. India makes a lot of money off England and Australia too (and it works the other way as well). Its a mutually beneficial relationship.

FRAZ

International Captain
Nothing is going to happen and that is for sure . Inzamam sacked for a while , Hair carrying on ..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
So in that case there won't be a split then.

No, there won't. Thats what I said earlier. Too much money involved on all sides. The BCCI especially, cares a lot about money (understatement of the century), and they aren't going to let lucrative nations like Australia or England go. They might even ask to join the England-Australia conference over the Asian one. But even if there was a split, they would still play bilateral matches. Perhaps Sri Lanka wouldn't get as many, but India most likely would.

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Barney Rubble said:
For me, the Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else - so a split wouldn't bother me overly. I'm sure many players would appreciate not having to tour the subcontinent, as it's no secret that they don't enjoy it.

dn't be so shambolically incompetent, but until that happens, maybe a split might help.
How boring would that be in this day and age

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
You really thing the Doosra would have been allowed if a guy from NZ invented it?
Well for starters, his captain wouldn't have bowled him enough for it to be noticed. :D

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Rajeev said:
Meaningless ODI's is what public wants these days besides the $$
In certain parts of the world but certainly not in others. ODIs have never been that important in the UK and look at how the Ashes tickets are selling in Aus. Also, despite winning the Champions Trophy the WI are still classed as being in decline. Why? They are not doing well in Test cricket.

ODIs are massive in Asia but are not as big elsewhere, certainly not in terms of importance especially with the rise of 20/20.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I very much doubt the accommodation is that good. And having the runs for two months probably makes up for it anyway. Listen to the interviews - players never talk about what a delight it is to go there, do they?
I can't believe you would say that.
GOughy said:
Afrikaaners are also stupidly proud people that let there emotions and cultural identity get in the way of reality.
Absolutely disgraceful post. How can you generalise like that?
silentstriker said:
No, not just the Indians. Due to the conversion rates, playing England would probably bring in as much if not more. But those three are the primary 'money-getters' for the respective boards, they wouldn't give that up. India makes a lot of money off England and Australia too (and it works the other way as well). Its a mutually beneficial relationship.
No, it is the Indians that bring the majority of the money. You have to remember, the money doesn't come from gate receipts, it comes mainly from television rights and things like that.

Last edited:

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Goughy said:
In certain parts of the world but certainly not in others. ODIs have never been that important in the UK and look at how the Ashes tickets are selling in Aus. Also, despite winning the Champions Trophy the WI are still classed as being in decline. Why? They are not doing well in Test cricket.

ODIs are massive in Asia but are not as big elsewhere, certainly not in terms of importance especially with the rise of 20/20.

So 20/20 (shorter version of ODI) - which also started in England is not BIG? Why was it created then, coz besides Ashes (as u say it ) - stadiums would be empty.

U certainly can't say that Ashes is the only thing, I mean..ur talent etc is meaured only against Aussie/English Bowlers/Batsmen

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Absolutely disgraceful post. How can you generalise like that?
It does sound kind of harsh when you see it like that. Its not meant as anything nasty, but they are a very proud people. Its not really a generalization, as the notion of 'volk' still runs very strong even if it is not something they are all that comfortable with.

'Volk' is the belief that they are Gods Chosen People. Also many liberal Afrtkaaners have talked to me about Seiner Van Rensburg. Read him and let me know what you think.

You can call it a generalization, but it is one that many Afrikaaners admit to. They talk about how thay are still very superstitious and have a deep cultural identity even if it does not come up in general every day life.

Out of interest, how much do you know about Afrikaaners and their history?

EDIT- Also that post was in relation to the Afrikaaner defence of Cronje, when it was not uncommon for people to say that "Hansie could not have done what has been suggested as he is a God-fearing Afrikaaner". It illogical and they took the accusations to heart. Hence my post, you did take it a little out of context.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rajeev said:
Why was it created then, coz besides Ashes (as u say it ) - stadiums would be empty.
Are you aware of Test crowds in England?

Every game I've been to in the last 5 or 6 years (ie from well before the Ashes) has been a sell out.

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Are you aware of Test crowds in England?

Every game I've been to in the last 5 or 6 years (ie from well before the Ashes) has been a sell out.
I am quite aware of that (people come in to watch cricket religiously and its a very good sight) but as barney said " Only Ashes ", so..how many ashes are you gonna play in 1 year.

Last edited: