• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC approves test championship and other changes...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This.

Overall not a bad restructuring. Looking forward to the Test play offs. Something other then Ashes to finally look forward to.

As far as ODI WC is concerned....don't see a point really to reduce it down to 10 teams...if the CT still exists then its just a waste tbh. Should have at least 12 teams so that 2 associates teams can fight for a spot.
The CT has 8 teams though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sceptical. I need more convincing, aussie.
I'm not sure if your are being genuine in your scepticism or are just trying to be difficult. Thus i will have nothing more to say on this matter, unless i am convinced it is not the latter.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The CT has 8 teams though.
Yea but still...if you are going to include Bang and Zim in the WC then might as well have Netherland and another qualified team...put them in one group and whoever comes stronger goes to next stage....2 weak teams in any group stage would exit the first round barring a couple of upsets...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea but still...if you are going to include Bang and Zim in the WC then might as well have Netherland and another qualified team...put them in one group and whoever comes stronger goes to next stage....2 weak teams in any group stage would exit the first round barring a couple of upsets...
Well yea, i guess i agree with that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Because his whole argument about the ICC is based on the "if you say it enough times it must be true" principal rather than anything else.
Yea & your principle is "if you ignore the facts enough times, then i wont have to accept the reality of the situation & continue to be minsinformed".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What facts are these?

All you've ever seemed to do is rant about them then when challenged continue to put the same misinformation in the form of another rant.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What facts are these?

All you've ever seemed to do is rant about them then when challenged continue to put the same misinformation in the form of another rant.
Misnformation? Ha..

Facts such as these which highlight the poor structure of the ICC:

Ian Chappell: Use the UDRS or lose it | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

QUOTE said:
The problem is, the heads of the boards meet as the ICC and agree on a direction for the game, and then promptly head off and act in the best interest of the individual board they represent. It's as if they gather in the huddle as a tight-knit group before the match and then instead of dispersing to perform as a cricket team, they play a game of tug-of-war.
Survey shows players lack faith in the ICC | Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

quote said:
The ICC has lost the confidence of the majority of international players and is under pressure to review its "outdated" structure.

A survey conducted by the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) during the World Cup makes miserable reading for ICC officials, with 56% of players questioning its ability to run the game and 89% rating the tournament in the Caribbean as average or worse and 87% saying it was too long.

Tim May, FICA's chief executive, called on the ICC to seriously consider reviewing the way it operates. "There has been a growing amount of dissatisfaction amongst a wide variety of cricket stakeholders over the past 24 months, regarding the governance of our game.

"An independent review will determine what is the best and most applicable structure for cricket's international governing body. We strongly believe that the present structure is outdated and not in the best interests of the game."

May, who has not always seen eye-to-eye with Malcolm Speed, the ICC's chief executive, pointed the finger of blame at the committees which run the organisation rather than the individuals at the top. "It's these committees that are ultimately responsible for the performance of the organisation. These committees are mainly comprised of individual representatives of its full members.

"These committees' composition are more than likely to deliver outcomes that are decided on party lines and the self interest of its members rather than the overall good of the game. Affiliation and loyalty to other committee members constituencies must take second place to their duty to the international board and the best interests to the game as a whole.

"The review may well decide that the present structure is the most applicable - if so, all well and good, at least crickets' stakeholders will then know that it is the best structure for our game. But at the moment we don't know whether it is and increasingly stakeholders want to know if there is a better structure."

The World Cup was the subject of the most vehement thumbs-down from the players. "Despite the better than expected playing and venue conditions, the better than expected travel arrangements and other logistical arrangements, the players have returned a less than average rating of the event," May said. "The death of Bob Woolmer, the early exit of India and Pakistan, the long and laborious Super Eights, the lack of exciting matches, the rain-affected final, the unfortunate umpire/referee error at the final, and the long periods that players had at their disposal between matches all affected the players' opinion.

"The less than average rating for the event is consistent with general viewer experience ... small crowds, lack of enthusiasm, one-sided matches are not the recipe for a great report card."

ICC news: John Howard lost ground in last week - David Morgan | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

QUOTE said:
But I think it is important for cricket to do some serious soul-searching and for the administration to draw a line somewhere about how one board can effectively have so much strength to be able to run the entire game. There needs to be a counter-balance.

'No one country should dominate' - John Howard | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

Flem274*

123/5
The ODI stuff sounds fair enough to me - although the WC is being made more exclusive, the T20 Championship is being expanded, and that's probably the right venue for associates. Not sure how it will work having a league championship AND the World Cup. Will be like having the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship running around at once in the wrestling.

Agree that the Test play off would be better on a two year basis rather than four.
Nah, teams like Ireland are far better at ODIs than 20/20.

Making the WC smaller is a dick move.

siddi

Cricket Spectator
I think the test championship is a welcome change. That will make for more competitive test cricket than what is being played right now.
But 4 years is way too long a time....

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'd hate to see it become like ODIs where teams have designated periods in which they really don't care about results and just try out different combinations in preparation for later more important time.
I haven't understood the whole concept of World Test Championship still. But from what I could decipher, teams have to be among top 4 teams ranking-wise to participate.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
With the 2015 World Cup having only 10 teams, can Ireland ( for example ) still qualify?, or would Test teams just get the places automatically?, :-O...
They are still working on deciding that. I guess getting the top 8 teams ranking-wise, and 2 teams from all the other teams through some tournament or something like that should be fine. Not sure about the feasibility, though. Let's hope for the best.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How about a pre-qualifying for the fortnight before the World Cup for teams 9-14, top 2 make the main draw?
They are still working on deciding that. I guess getting the top 8 teams ranking-wise, and 2 teams from all the other teams through some tournament or something like that should be fine. Not sure about the feasibility, though. Let's hope for the best.
My thoughts, exactly.

Woodster

International Captain
I'm still sceptical about how the new Test Championship will work and the period of time in which decides the number one Test side in the world.

But in terms of the number of teams in the T20 tournament and World Cup, I think they've got it about right. The elongated World Cup is what they want to avoid and one-sided contests stretched out for a maximum of 100 overs, I think taking out some of the associate sides is a good move to make it a more exclusive tournament. Ultimately resulting in a higher percentage of more competitive and captivating contests, in theory anyway.

But allowing them to compete in an environment where the difference in quality between sides is negotiated to a degree over a shorter contest. Give the associate sides exposure on the international stage but for the time being let them battle in the T20 format when it comes to World tournaments.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Was never a fan of the idea of a test championship ITFP. Dont see the need for it TBH.
I think it'll be a good measure especially in case of some countries. Take Sri Lanka for example. They are ranked 3 atm, and 2 among their batsmen have outstanding records over the past few years). But they play too less outside the subcontinent. They play a series with India or Bangladesh on flat subcontinent pitches once in every milli-second. This will at least be a good opportunity to force their cricket board to face oppositions of similar strength on pitches where they don't play too often. I guess players like Sangakkara and Jayawardene (and most SL fans) will be looking forward to this.