• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Huge talents who have missed the boat

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To some extent Michael Kasprowicz could be one. He did get a chance, but probably should've played more.

Also, the fact that the Aussie selectors think Siddle is a better seamer than Clark is dire.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He wasn't dropped, he only played that Test at all because Stephen Waugh was injured. Had Waugh played that game, Law would've been the same as Cox - a no-Test wonder.

In any case, with Greg Blewetts, Justin Langers, Darren Lehmanns, Ricky Pontings, etc. around, there were always going to be some people who didn't get the chance.
I knew that, I just said he should've played more than 1 test.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ezra Moseley - without the back injury and the ban might have done great things
Nearly killed Gooch in 1990 and thereby pretty much turned the series for the Windies. Looked a good bowler, I hadn't seen any of him before that. His uncle Oswald was also handy but never looked right in a white shirt

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nearly killed Gooch in 1990 and thereby pretty much turned the series for the Windies.
Wasn't aware a broken hand was life-threatening TBH. And even Ezra wasn't quite powerful enough to make it rain and thus turn an easy run-chase for England into a very difficult one which ended-up just out of reach. :@ I really hate that Test, even though it was long before I started watching cricket. But for that rain England'd have been 2-0 up with 2 to play.

Agreed that Gooch's injury could've been quite pivotal though. You only have to look at his inspirational qualities (Hussain's words in his book about him being hit and appearing to be in great pain and this dispiriting those who looked-up to him so much are telling) without even thinking about the runs he'd almost inevitably have scored.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is indeed. Mind, many were considered to be the equal of The Don or something along those lines and no-one has ever remotely approached his deeds.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ollie Milburn - without the car crash he could have finished rewriting the book on opening the batting in tests a quarter of a century before the Slaters, Haydens, Sehwags and Gayles of this world finally got round to doing so

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There had been the odd strokeplaying opener before though, right?

I don't think Slater (or Saeed Anwar) really rewrote the book on opening, they were just exceptions to the rule.

The likes of Gibbs, Hayden, Sehwag and Gayle haven't done anything of the sort either IMO, as everyone knows. None of these batsmen would've had success at the top of the order in most eras of Test cricket, where balls swung, pitches seamed and opening bowlers were of high calibre.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has anyone mentioned Sid Barnes yet? The Australian Sidney Barnes, I mean. Only 13 tests but scored over 1000 runs @ a tick over 63. Supposedly something of an "individual", which probably accounts for his meagre test tally.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't aware a broken hand was life-threatening TBH.
My mistake - I was mixing up 2 Gooch hand injuries within the space of a year. I knew that Ezra broke his hand but thought it led to blood poisoning.

It turns out I was thinking of the injury that he sustained in practice on the subsequent 1990/91 Ashes tour. While attempting a caught-and-bowled off Robin Smith he cut his finger. The cut turned septic and the poison began to spread. He needed a career-saving operation which effectively saved the use of that hand and he was out for quite a while.