• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Huge talents who have missed the boat

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dean Jones, was dumped WAY too early.
Jamie Cox. Should've played more international cricket than he did.
Michael Hussey. Should've been playing international cricket earlier.

morgieb

Wade Seccombe is another.
In fact, I could go on all day about which talents in Australia missed the boat.

Top_Cat

Dean Jones, was dumped WAY too early.
Agreed.

Jamie Cox. Should've played more international cricket than he did.
He didn't play any at all, though.

Michael Hussey. Should've been playing international cricket earlier.
No way. Perhaps a little earlier but he most certainly wasn't up to it in the 90's and early 00's. Was in danger of being dropped by WA a few times.

morgieb

Mcgill had additude problems I'm glad he didn't make it:laugh:

Brad Hodge will most likely get in this boat his one.(I don't like him much but still 50 average in first class ain't bad)

David Hussey too.
MacGill failed to make it because he was behind the greatest spinner of all-time. In any other country (expect SL away from home and possibly India) he would've made it.

Agree with Brad Hodge. Hussey will get his chance once Ponting/Hussey snr./Katich retires. Martin Love is another one that springs to mind.

morgieb

As with the likes of S Sriram, to write such a fantastic long-form player off based on the short form is extremely poor.
Indeed.
Ajay Sharma, Vinod Kambli, S Sriram, Saba Karim & Panjak Dharanmi should've played more international games then they did.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah I was watching that Brisbane game at the time. The raw speed from Zahid was phenomenal. He definitely had Hooper on the hop. Hard to say, of course, but he didn't look any quicker than Akhtar, though.

Forgot one name, Jamie Siddons. Getting sick in Pakistan then spooked by pace bowling after having his jaw broken by Merv Hughes put paid to Test aspirations but when going well, was just special to watch.
I have talked to quite a few former domestic cricketers who faced Shoiab and Zahid and they all reckon Zahid was considerably faster.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pankaj Dharmani gets mentioned more than a few times. At that time, they stuck to a genuine wicketkeeper in Nayan Mongia to keep to Kumble, and that was a good idea. However, when the wicketkeeping all-rounder craze started, we found some very unsuitable bits-and-pieces players playing ahead of him, because they were younger. Maybe they missed a trick?

When I dug up stats in another site, I found that he's played less matches as a wicketkeeper than otherwise. Like an Indian domestic Alec Stewart, he was a batsman first and wicketkeeper later. Not a reliable option then, but in the few matches in which I've seen him play, he's surely the best among FC wicketkeeping all-rounders, and surely a lot better than all the Parthiv Patels, Deep Drops and KKDs of today, and would surely be a whole lot of weight off Rahul Dravid. Even then, would he be good enough to keep to Kumble? No way. Not many are.