• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Huge talents who have missed the boat

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harold Gimblett - it was only ever going to go in one direction after the most remarkable debut in the game's history but had he ever got his head straight who knows what he may have achieved

Rant0r

International 12th Man
saqlain's qualified for england now isn't he ?

imagine him and panesar in the same team.

of course you may need to push flintoff to 6 for balance

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Stuart Law
the man with no test average, tough era, qualified for england now, fair bit of that happening lately.

Mcgill had additude problems I'm glad he didn't make it:laugh:

Brad Hodge will most likely get in this boat his one.(I don't like him much but still 50 average in first class ain't bad)
and shane warne didn't have an attitude?

speaking of attitude problems, hodge is a tool, i agree, can bat though, he'll miss out

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Shane Watson is in danger of going down this road. :(

Somehow, I have a terrible feeling Henriques will be the same.

Edit: those aren't quite answers to the question.

How about Matthew Nicholson?
yes to nicholson, apparently he was quite quick on his day

Michael Slater
will go down with dean jones in terms of being dropped whilst still very capable and never got back in

Mark Higgs.
no, another fat also ran state player

There are plenty but ATM the following came in my mind :

Ajay Sharma, Pankaj Dharmani, Amol Mazumdar...
Marlon Samuels...
Shoaib Akhtar [?], Baseet Ali, Imran Nazir...
Shane Bond...
Greame Hick, Mark Ramprakash, Marcus Trescothick...
Paul Strang, Henry Olonga...
Brett Schultz, Meyrick Pringle, Jacques Rudolph...
poor fella got the bruce reid disease, rampers and hick go without saying

Mohammed Asif seems to have blown up the proverbial boat. He's unbelievably talented but has completely ballsed it up already.
he's an idiot, seems to be catching in pakistan

Precambrian

Banned

Saqlain is way past his prime and will not add much value to the English team. Also his stint with ICL rules out any possibility of his future International career.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Saqlain is way past his prime and will not add much value to the English team. Also his stint with ICL rules out any possibility of his future International career.
oh, didn't realise that

probably not good to have 2 massive beards in the one team anyway.

still would have been an interesting situation.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
There's a whole generation of SA players who missed out on longer test careers or, indeed, test careers at all because of the Apartheid-era exclusion.

Barry Richards
Mike Procter
Clive Rice
Vince van der Bijl
jimmy cook, john traicos

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Yeah I was watching that Brisbane game at the time. The raw speed from Zahid was phenomenal. He definitely had Hooper on the hop. Hard to say, of course, but he didn't look any quicker than Akhtar, though.

Forgot one name, Jamie Siddons. Getting sick in Pakistan then spooked by pace bowling after having his jaw broken by Merv Hughes put paid to Test aspirations but when going well, was just special to watch.
probably should have moved to SA sooner

Matthew Elliott, to a certain extent.
definitely, he also didn't get the extra chances hayden did.

Dean Jones, was dumped WAY too early.
Jamie Cox. Should've played more international cricket than he did.
Michael Hussey. Should've been playing international cricket earlier.
deano annoyed someone, and jamie cox is tasmanian

MacGill failed to make it because he was behind the greatest spinner of all-time. In any other country (expect SL away from home and possibly India) he would've made it.

Agree with Brad Hodge. Hussey will get his chance once Ponting/Hussey snr./Katich retires. Martin Love is another one that springs to mind.
maybe he was too nice, i don't know, came in, went straight to first slip, took catches, made runs, stayed quiet, then got dropped

Vinod Kambli.
another idiot wasting his talent

Oh, and Narenda Hirwani is another one.
never could figure out what happened to him

krkode

State Captain
I think I've read that the pitch Hirwani had immense success on was rather suspect. It's possible that any decent leg spinner could've really troubled batsmen on it, although I can't say for sure. I hardly know the whole story.

That said, he just really couldn't break past Kumble, I guess, who was infinitely better.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
hard to argue with results, from all reports though, hirwani gave it a massive rip, and had laser eye surgery in an attempt to correct the waywardness, i remember something about 'coke bottle' glasses in his early days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hirwani's problem (from his 5th Test onwards) would appear to have been lack of penetration rather than lack of accuracy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Apart from the fact Saqlain is an ICL player, and the fact he's really not that good any more... and also the fact that one fingerspinner, never mind two, can never really expect much success in England... Saqlain's England qualification doesn't actually stop him playing for Pakistan again.

If Pakistan offered enough incentive, if he broke his ICL ties, and if that was acceptable to the anti-ICL forces, then he could still play for Pakistan.

analyst

U19 12th Man
Sanjay Manjerekar to a certain extent, but there were plenty Indian batsmen who used to have a problem with coping with International cricket like Chetan Chauhan etc.