• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hinds and Smith in confrontation

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
roseboy64 said:
Well this is very unlike Hinds so Smith must have doine something really bad. Smith already has a bad reputation but Wavell's has been pretty much spotless.
Why must he have done something really bad? Why couldn't Hinds have been misled into believing he'd done something really bad?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Richard said:
Why must he have done something really bad? Why couldn't Hinds have been misled into believing he'd done something really bad?
It could be........ Either way, there must have been some involvement from Smith.... Hinds has been around for a lot longer than Smith and has never been involved in such issues, but we all already know Smith's track record... And his statement now seems extremely absurd to me..... He wants a public apology from Dwayne Bravo.... I agree with Mike Holding here.. Why a public apology? AFAIC, Bravo didn't even go public with any allegations about Smith. He probably said something to Hinds about what Smith told him and Hinds may have taken offence to that but really, I don't see why Bravo should issue a public apology for this. If anything, this only makes me suspect Smith more. If he had wanted a private "I am sorry about the misunderstanding" from Bravo, that would have been more like it.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Exactly - he's a love-to-hate character virtually throughout The World by now.
Well I certainly don't hate him, as a player and his attitude. I like his attitude though, at least he won't back down to anybody.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Smith replies to the allegations with a 100 in the first ODI.

Well done Graeme. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
It could be........ Either way, there must have been some involvement from Smith.... Hinds has been around for a lot longer than Smith and has never been involved in such issues, but we all already know Smith's track record... And his statement now seems extremely absurd to me..... He wants a public apology from Dwayne Bravo.... I agree with Mike Holding here.. Why a public apology? AFAIC, Bravo didn't even go public with any allegations about Smith. He probably said something to Hinds about what Smith told him and Hinds may have taken offence to that but really, I don't see why Bravo should issue a public apology for this. If anything, this only makes me suspect Smith more. If he had wanted a private "I am sorry about the misunderstanding" from Bravo, that would have been more like it.
Would you like to be publically known as a racist when you're not? (There's no proof that Smith made any racist remarks, and thus he's innocent until there's some facts to prove he did). Granted Bravo didn't go public with these allegations, but it was leaked to the media anyway. Smith may have past impish behaviour on field, but there's nothing to suggest he made any such comments, and I think if nothing of the sort was said Bravo should come out and state it publically.

The reason it shouldn't be done behind closed doors is because the issue is now public, and racism in cricket is a public issue. If Bravo comes out and publically states Smith said nothing of the sort, which I assume to be the case, then the situation (the racist remarks, not necessarily the behaviour on field by the players) is sorted.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
According to sources in the West Indies Smith said to Bravo something like "What are you slack f***ckers trying to do? The series is over now you all want to score tons. " Hinds apparently heard "black f**ckers". He presumed Smith was making a derogatory racist remark to Bravo and blew his top. I don't know how true this is but apparently it comes directly from someone quite high in the Windies cricket hierarchy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
jot1 said:
According to sources in the West Indies Smith said to Bravo something like "What are you slack f***ckers trying to do? The series is over now you all want to score tons. " Hinds apparently heard "black f**ckers". He presumed Smith was making a derogatory racist remark to Bravo and blew his top. I don't know how true this is but apparently it comes directly from someone quite high in the Windies cricket hierarchy.
Sounds pretty unfortunate for both parties.

Smith's comment was pretty unsavoury, but I'm sure worse is said on cricket pitches every day. I guess the trouble is that Smith has a pretty low reputation generally so is unlikely to garner too much sympathy. I have to say I've taken against him, but there is a world of difference between being a bit of a blow-hard & being a racist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jot1 said:
Aha!
That makes sense.
In which case I don't really see that Bravo has anything to apologise for, it's Hinds who should be apologising for not listening properly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Smith replies to the allegations with a 100 in the first ODI.

Well done Graeme. :)
Sadly a century doesn't prove he's not a racist, and no-one's said he can't score ODI-centuries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
He wants a public apology from Dwayne Bravo.... I agree with Mike Holding here.. Why a public apology?
Because of what jot said - it's been suggested, whether through fault of Bravo or not, that he's a racist in public. While I think he's got the wrong man if things happened the way this high-in-West Indian-cricket-hierachy chap thinks, I still think he's totally justified in wanting a public apology - just from Hinds rather than Bravo.
Because no-one should be labelled a racist when they're not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Well I certainly don't hate him, as a player and his attitude. I like his attitude though, at least he won't back down to anybody.
I like it, too - but exactly the same as Ganguly most people don't, and as a result they love to try and go ballistic at him for anything they can.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
jot1 said:
Well that adds a different perspective for me.. Smith goes down a notch in my book, as does anyone who indulges in verbal crap on the field.. Yes, including Allan Donald..

You reap what you sow, he should have kept his mouth shut..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Forgot the precise meaning of ballast, I was meaning the "heavy object" bit as in throwing at.
But true - not correct use. I certainly didn't mean lambast, though (amazingly enough I'd have said lambast if I did :dry: )

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it has been implied that Smith made racist remarks and there is no evidence to support such a claim, then a public apology should be made.

A charge of racism is extremely serious and can have far-reaching effects.

Personally, I dont think that you have to be Nostradamus to work out that Bravo, etc would have copped slighly more than "slack ****ers" during the course of an innings of 700-plus. That being said, unless it was of a racist variety, it should remain where it started - on the field.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
jots recollection of events reminds me of a story in the caribbean. allan border was facing joel garner, and "big bird" dug one in short and rapped border on the gloves. as border shook his hand, he said "you big *******" under hsi breath, which desmond haynes, fieliding in his customary positioin of short let, heard as "you black *******". haynes went up to garner at the top of his mark and told him what border had supposedly said, and garner bowled a very very hostile spell, as you can imagine.

after the game, garner and haynes confronted ab about it, things were sorted out when ab said what he truly said, and luckily no1 was hurt (i.e. border :p )

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
Sadly a century doesn't prove he's not a racist, and no-one's said he can't score ODI-centuries.
And since there is no evidence to prove he is a racist, then until it is proved we have to assume he is not a racist.

Would Hinds have made the same fuss if Smith was black.