• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hinds and Smith in confrontation

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How many people who've posted on this subject actually watched this incident?
It was far from routine "mental-disintigration" sledging (not least because there was precisely nothing at stake at the end of a wholly pointless Test-match), and, as I say, prompted a blatant attempt by a bowler to bowl a delivery whose sole intent was to try and inflict physical harm.
Yes, normal verbals liven-up the game and make it more interesting - this most certainly did not.
So far as I've seen so far nothing else has come out about it - but inevitably the first thing that sprung to my mind - inevitably given that it involves a South African - was the possibility of racist comments. Wavell Hinds has always seemed to me to be an extremely laid-back guy, and I've never seen him come close to losing it like he did here, totally.
So please don't tell me, or anyone, that this incident was good for the game.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe not good for the game but certainly good for THIS game in terms of gladiator-style entertainment, particularly since the cricket had hardly been steller. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is anything that is especially bad for the game at large ever good for an individual game?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Is anything that is especially bad for the game at large ever good for an individual game?
Hansie's leather jacket declaration gave that Centurion test a heck of a shot in the arm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
Hansie's leather jacket declaration gave that Centurion test a heck of a shot in the arm.
Actually, devil's advocate or not, in the context of that particular game in isolation that's very true. I remember Cronje being praised for it at the time and, obviously, he couldn't have done it without Hussain (innocent) collusion.

I guess the intention behind the declaration was the key there tho. I think the details of how little he sold SA cricket down the river for (a leather jacket?!?) made it seem pathetic more than anything else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Yet just because it was considered good at the time does not mean at all that it was good with the benefit of hindsight.
The actions might have been good for that Test; the actioner's motivation for them was certainly not good for either that match or The Game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Smith could probably create a confrontation in an empty room.
Exactly - he's a love-to-hate character virtually throughout The World by now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
roseboy64 said:
Interesting report... so I wasn't the only one who considered the possibility of racist comments...
I hasten to add that I don't think for a second Smith would indulge in such things, but I'm not surprised that their apparent presence was the cause of the trouble.

Langeveldt

Soutie
And I guess Smith's non existant reputation will be tattered even more by this saga he seemed to have no real part in?

Link

State Vice-Captain
maybe not, he is all ready known as a loud mouth on the field. So it is not really suprising for us to see him involved in something like this. However not so for poor Hinds. He is the one whose reputation will be effected the most

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Link said:
maybe not, he is all ready known as a loud mouth on the field. So it is not really suprising for us to see him involved in something like this. However not so for poor Hinds. He is the one whose reputation will be effected the most
Why "poor Hinds"? Why not "poor Smith"? According to the report Smith was innocent. Hinds was out of line. Yet Smith is being denigrated for something he didn't do. (As in nearly everyone here has said something to the effect that he probably did say something even though the report says he didn't!) And "poor" HInds' reputation is going to be besmirched. Well, so it should be, his behaviour was disgraceful. Not sporting at all. :@

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well this is very unlike Hinds so Smith must have doine something really bad. Smith already has a bad reputation but Wavell's has been pretty much spotless.

Deja moo

International Captain
Just to clarify, Smith wasnt declared innocent. There just wasnt evidence to back up Hinds' claims.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
Just to clarify, Smith wasnt declared innocent. There just wasnt evidence to back up Hinds' claims.
"But Graeme Smith, South Africa's captain, has been cleared of any misconduct on his part, after a confrontation between the pair on the final day of the match." This is a direct quote from the article reporting about the hearing. To me that reads innocent. :huh:

Link

State Vice-Captain
jot1 said:
Why "poor Hinds"? Why not "poor Smith"? According to the report Smith was innocent. Hinds was out of line. Yet Smith is being denigrated for something he didn't do. (As in nearly everyone here has said something to the effect that he probably did say something even though the report says he didn't!) And "poor" HInds' reputation is going to be besmirched. Well, so it should be, his behaviour was disgraceful. Not sporting at all. :@
what was the point in that you didnt even disagree with me. I was talking about Smiths reputation in that it will not change from being a cricketing loudmouth. I said that Hinds rep will because he is not renowned for that

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Link said:
what was the point in that you didnt even disagree with me. I was talking about Smiths reputation in that it will not change from being a cricketing loudmouth. I said that Hinds rep will because he is not renowned for that
How could I disagree with you? I know Smith is known as a loudmouth. :) My point is, Hinds shouldn't get any sympathy (as in "poor Hinds"). He not only used verbal abuse but showed great disrespect by spitting on the ground in front of Smith and then deliberately tried to hit him with the ball. That's a long way from just sledging as Smith does. Hinds damaged his own reputation.

Link

State Vice-Captain
agreed, but Hinds was wound up by Smith not to say what he done was out of order, it was just out of character. I put it down to being provoked