• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help me pick an EPL side

Which EPL team should I support?

• Total voters

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So every one who doesn't have an initial Barcelona connection bandwagon jumped according to you? That's a sweeping statement and I don't quite agree with your view.
No, what I'm saying is that I can't see how anyone can watch Barcelona and not immediately realise they're one of the best sides in the world. Consequently when it comes to picking a side to support, it's rather soulless to choose them which is the conclusion SS has come to because he wants the downs that make the ups so much sweeter.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They weren't when I started following from what I saw. Real Madrid was the team with more superstars and more famous names in India. I agree supporting a mediocre team is far more exciting in the ups and downs but you have to understand I started with Barca in the time pre Rijkaard which wasn't the best time for the club.

Which Barcelona fans do you NOT consider bandwagon jumpers then (ignoring those who have a connection to Barcelona or FC Barcelona).

Last edited:

Matteh

They weren't when I started following from what I saw. Real Madrid was the team with more superstars and more famous names in India. I agree supporting a mediocre team is far more exciting in the ups and downs but you have to understand I started with Barca in the time pre Rijkaard which wasn't the best time for the club.

Which Barcelona fans do you NOT consider bandwagon jumpers then (ignoring those who have a connection to Barcelona or FC Barcelona).
Am just trying to remember why when I saw Peterborough play I came to the conclusion they weren't an internationally well respected side. Ahhh yes, they didn't play in an 80,000 seater stadium! Watching a single game would've made it obvious. Of course pre-Rijkaard Barca had never done anything of note!

None of them, same with those annoying whingey Man Utd types when they lose less than 10 times a season.

biased indian

International Coach
No, what I'm saying is that I can't see how anyone can watch Barcelona and not immediately realise they're one of the best sides in the world. Consequently when it comes to picking a side to support, it's rather soulless to choose them which is the conclusion SS has come to because he wants the downs that make the ups so much sweeter.
@ Matteh
the first European club football game i watched live was the Ac millan - Barca final of 94 .barca lost it and felt a soft corner to that team and started supporting them. remeber its time in india when thats the only game you get to watch live and that to at mid night i was just starting to follow the European club football and had no idea about the history of all the clubs involved ya thy did reach the final so they should have been a good team
. so would you treat me as a bandwagon jumper ?

biased indian

International Coach
OK, no need to start this. I'll just follow Real Madrid in Spain, Manchester United in the UK, Inter Milan in Italy and Bayern Munich in Germany. That way, everyone is happy. :ph34r:

In reality though, I still can't decide between the Spurs or Newcastle. Newcastle = awesome fans, Spurs = I can hate on Aresnal fans on CW. :D

Liverpool has that awesome song, but I feel bad about picking a team that's really good and has crappy beer.
Will suggest you an alternative way may not be the Best but for first couple of season it will be OK i think. follow EPL wanting Man u to not win the tile or for that fact any of their matches in the mean time you will watch other teams game and will start liking one of the teams..that's the way i started :)

Agent TBY

International Captain
To be fair to Pratters, you had no choice but to support a big team in those years.

Only two sports channels, four games every weekend (two English, two Spanish) and obviously, each of the four games involved one of Arsenal, United, Madrid or Barcelona. It's all well and good saying "they win all the time, what's the point?" like I did, but it's kinda useless when all you see of a team in action is three minutes in a highlights package when a Bangladesh v Zimbabwe test got live coverage for all five days. I only vaguely followed Chelsea at the time, and that was all thanks to Zola.

Still don't buy the "I wasn't a bandwagon jumper" stuff, though.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
OK, no need to start this. I'll just follow Real Madrid in Spain, Manchester United in the UK, Inter Milan in Italy and Bayern Munich in Germany. That way, everyone is happy. :ph34r:

In reality though, I still can't decide between the Spurs or Newcastle. Newcastle = awesome fans, Spurs = I can hate on Aresnal fans on CW. :D

Liverpool has that awesome song, but I feel bad about picking a team that's really good and has crappy beer.
We'll be running round Wembley with our knobs hanging out, tbh.

duffer

Quite flattered that I'm so important that it would sway who you chose to support. Also humoured at the possibility of what type of smack talk a "fan" of a team who last won the league in black and white and who haven't finished above us for 15 years could come up with. Suits you to the ground, deluded and destined to failure = perfect Spudz fan.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
i was just starting to follow the European club football and had no idea about the history of all the clubs involved
follow EPL wanting Man u to not win the tile or for that fact any of their matches in the mean time you will watch other teams game and will start liking one of the teams..that's the way i started :)
BI can I ask why even before you knew much about football, you already had the ingrained ABU gene? I'd call that jumping on a bandwagon.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Use any of your complex mathematical formula to see which club has the best chance to be taken over by a rich arab in the next 10 years.When they win European cup in 20 years you will be a contended man and will look back happily at the choices you have made in your life.

or you can just choose any random team and pray to god every day that some rich guy buys that team, you get to cheer for a gun team without feeling the glory hunting guiltiness.

grecian

Would of suggested West Ham, a year or so ago, but can't be arsed with their new owners. Fits all your criteria, and aren't deluded geordies or bitter saddoes (well a bit, but not in the same league as Spurs or Villa).

The Academy 'n' all that crap. Oh and it's a good suck up to the boss here......

Craig

World Traveller
How did I end up supporting Inter, well I never liked AC Milan and Juventus, and then at the time (this would be a good 7/8 years ago), my Italian was non existent, so it would make it tricky reading a club's website that wasn't in English. Always had a soft spot for Hellas Verona because of that certain book.

It sounds stupid, and it probably does make me a bandwagon jumper.

Xuhaib

International Coach
every year i support a different club (ofcourse big name club) well I like football but I don't have emotional attachment with any team so I feel this is the best option allows me to follow different leagues every year.

For the past 5 years I have supported the team that won the champions league so this year I will support Inter might sound stupid but hey its fun for me.