• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help me pick an EPL side

Which EPL team should I support?

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have followed them from the time they were not a good side 4-5 years back and saw them improve and become the best football side in the world. The possession play they play is beautiful to watch. I don't follow Barcelona because others do, I do because I love the way they play their football. It is the club which put Unicef on their jersey when any sponsor could have got them tons of money. I am reading a book about the club's history and have been a hard core Barcelona fan over the years. I don't know many Barcelona fans as the only other one I can think of is biased_Indian on this site. So I didn't start following them just because they had many fans or were winning (they weren't winning that much when I started supporting them).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Bit harsh sledger you ****, makes some reasonable points. Barca are infinitely less hateable than most other clubs.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have followed them from the time they were not a good side 4-5 years back and saw them improve and become the best football side in the world. The possession play they play is beautiful to watch. I don't follow Barcelona because others do, I do because I love the way they play their football. It is the club which put Unicef on their jersey when any sponsor could have got them tons of money. I am reading a book about the club's history and have been a hard core Barcelona fan over the years. I don't know many Barcelona fans as the only other one I can think of is biased_Indian on this site. So I didn't start following them just because they had many fans or were winning (they weren't winning that much when I started supporting them).
Haha 'not a good side'.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha 'not a good side'.
They were going through a rough period and weren't any where near what people come to associate with Barcelona now. I saw them then and then saw them develop in the Rijkaard era.

The departures of Núñez and van Gaal were as nothing compared to that of Luís Figo. As well as club vice-captain, Figo had become a cult hero and was considered by Catalans to be one of their own. However, Barça fans were distraught by Figo's decision to join arch-rivals Real Madrid and during subsequent visits to the Camp Nou Figo was given an extremely hostile reception, including one occasion, when a piglet's head was thrown at him from the crowd. The next three years saw the club in decline and managers came and went, including a short second spell by Louis van Gaal. President Gaspart did not inspire confidence off the field either and in 2003, he and van Gaal resigned.

After the disappointment of the Gaspart era, the combination of a new young president Joan Laporta and a young new manager, former Dutch and Milan star Frank Rijkaard, saw the club bounce back. On the field, an influx of international players, including Ronaldinho, Deco, Henrik Larsson, Ludovic Giuly, Samuel Eto'o, and Rafael Márquez, combined with home grown Spanish players, such as Carles Puyol, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi Hernández and Víctor Valdés, led to the club's return to success. Barça won La Liga and the Supercopa de España in 2004–05, and stars Ronaldinho and Eto'o were voted first and third in the FIFA World Player of the Year awards.

(Wiki)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@ Matteh - They were not a good side when I started following them. There was a lot of turmoil. It wasn't bandwagon jumping. :sleep:

Indipper

State Regular
@ Matteh - They were not a good side when I started following them. There was a lot of turmoil. It wasn't bandwagon jumping. :sleep:
Been a Barca fan ever since they first won the European Cup back in 1992 (bandwagon jump, but I was new to football and Johan's lads were awesome). In all that time they were never anything but a good side and they were always counted among the favourites to pick up the league before the season.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fair enough Indipper and Goughy. When I started following Barca, I was not very knowledgeable about club football. I was not aware of the rich history or financial resources of Barca. It is very inaccurate to say I bandwagon jumped.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ahhh, the Roseboy defence.

I still don't see it, Barcelona/Man Utd are some of the clubs with a genuinely worldwide presence. You don't achieve that by being crap. Even watching a game and seeing 80,000 at the Nou Camp might've made it obvious.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So every one who doesn't have an initial Barcelona connection bandwagon jumped according to you? That's a sweeping statement and I don't quite agree with your view.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OK, no need to start this. I'll just follow Real Madrid in Spain, Manchester United in the UK, Inter Milan in Italy and Bayern Munich in Germany. That way, everyone is happy. :ph34r:

In reality though, I still can't decide between the Spurs or Newcastle. Newcastle = awesome fans, Spurs = I can hate on Aresnal fans on CW. :D

Liverpool has that awesome song, but I feel bad about picking a team that's really good and has crappy beer.