• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - Ireland, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim Southee?

His batting would be about as good as Diamanti's. Someone quick?

I'm just angry because Wayne Parnell was in Southee's Under 19 world cup playing for SA and look how much better he has become. Well Southee sit's at home doing nothing and getting worse.
Firstly, Southee's about the same pace as Franklin, Mills & Butler - all around the 126-135 km mark (Butler hit's 140 once & a while) and secondly, he was absolutely murdered in the shortened form of the game last season.

I suppose my point is, whether's its Dire-manti, Southee or even Elliott, it wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference in the big scheme of things

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm just angry because Wayne Parnell was in Southee's Under 19 world cup playing for SA and look how much better he has become. Well Southee sit's at home doing nothing and getting worse.
But Parnell wasn't chucked into the national fold like Southee was. Vincent Barnes (South Africa's bowling coach) has had to work on Parnell's action and it has only been in say the last year that Wayne has learned all the tricks (yorker, slower ball et cetera). He was an out-and-out swing bowler in the U19 WC, a very good one but he didn't have much else. His actually not swung the ball big in sometime but he more than makes up for that with the seam, pace and length he is now bowling.

Uppercut

But Parnell wasn't chucked into the national fold like Southee was. Vincent Barnes (South Africa's bowling coach) has had to work on Parnell's action and it has only been in say the last year that Wayne has learned all the tricks (yorker, slower ball et cetera). He was an out-and-out swing bowler in the U19 WC, a very good one but he didn't have much else. His actually not swung the ball big in sometime but he more than makes up for that with the seam, pace and length he is now bowling.
I was saying in the Australia thread, the white ball's hardly swinging at all for anyone this year. Parnell's got a little bit off the pitch and in the air, particularly in the England game, which is better than most have done.

Howsie

International Captain
And that's what NZ should of done, but no they go and ruin one of the best young pace prospects in the world. Tim Southee when bowling well can hit the 140's, but after watching him against India and how much his action has changed I can't see him ever being as good as he should of been.

Let's hope we don't **** Boult over too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I was saying in the Australia thread, the white ball's hardly swinging at all for anyone this year. Parnell's got a little bit off the pitch and in the air, particularly in the England game, which is better than most have done.
But he didn't swing the ball much in South Africa.

And listening (on BBC) to some of first class and one day games Kent have played this year, Wayne wasn't getting much swing there either. He was just bowling at a lively pace with good control.

ret

International Debutant
usually seen Pakistan use NZ to get in to semis / final like in 1992 and 1999 WC

though remember NZ beating Pak in semis in ICC Champions trophy in 2000 and then they beat Ind in the final

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
NZ getting bulldozed by a Pakistani pacer is always a comical and a very common sight.
Sami, Akhtar, Zahid whilst Waqar and Wasim cut their teeth early on against the New Zealanders. And now Gul of course. Anyone else?

Uppercut

But he didn't swing the ball much in South Africa.

And listening (on BBC) to some of first class and one day games Kent have played this year, Wayne wasn't getting much swing there either. He was just bowling at a lively pace with good control.
Last time i saw him was in the ODIs against Australia in that match where they reduced Australia to around 30/5. He had the ball hooping into the right-hander back then, would be surprised if he's completely lost it in that time but you never know.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Last time i saw him was in the ODIs against Australia in that match where they reduced Australia to around 30/5. He had the ball hooping into the right-hander back then, would be surprised if he's completely lost it in that time but you never know.
It was subtle, he still brings the ball back into the right-handers (did today) but at the U19 WC he was able to bowl big inswingers and outswingers. He had one game where he took 6 for 8 against Bangladesh and he was just toying with them, they didn't have a clue where it was going. Also, Kepler Wessels (his coach from last years emerging players tour in Aus) said during the NZ game that he has lost the ability to swing it big.

AaronK

State Regular
A very good win from pakistan.. not only their bowling was good but also fielding and batting.. this will give them some confident against Ireland..

but you never know maybe Ireland do it again and send pakistan packing just like 07 world cup..

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Great win by the 'Green Boys'. Clinical display all round. Wish they can do it more often but this was reminiscient of a 90's Pakistan game. Passionate display of cricketing display with moments of individual brilliance. Umer Gul's was a beauty. Afridi's catch breath-taking. Vettori didn't look like a happy camper and maybe took a shot at Gul during the press meet. Sour grapes, really.