• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It wasn't just the fouls and lack of yellow cards for the F*****, there were numerous offside decisions against us where the English player was level with the last man.

If the F***** are just allowed to cynically take out anyone on a break and the linesman erroneously ends a number of our attacks then that is going to have a big contribution on the flow of play.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Encouraging, more effort and passion in 90 minutes than in the entire world cup campaign in SA. Not a great side but we will be hard to beat and are well organised.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah the Gerrard one was a foul, pure and simple.

The ref was poor but none of the decisions were huge ones, just thought he was lacking in competence tbh.
Could have booked a couple of Frogs too for the cynical blocks, may have opened it up a bit. Ref was very poor though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It wasn't just the fouls and lack of yellow cards for the F*****, there were numerous offside decisions against us where the English player was level with the last man.

If the F***** are just allowed to cynically take out anyone on a break and the linesman erroneously ends a number of our attacks then that is going to have a big contribution on the flow of play.
There was one where Parker was breaking out of defence and he had his ankle clipped. The Frenchman was clearly taking one for the team, but no card ensued.

No consistency at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apparently Carroll's gong to play today, with Young playing wide instead of the Ox.
Sort of makes sense, I suppose. The Swedes looked pretty clueless when the balls for Shevchenko's brace were whipped in. The big fella does add height, although the gulf in class between him and the Ukranian, even in his footballing dotage, is so vast as to render comment on it superfluous.

Tough on the Ox tho; suspect he'll get game time at some point anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haven't checked any sites but could it not be Carroll for Parker? With Milner coming in field and Ox switching flanks?

Assuming Parker is having a rest of course.

Anyway I'd agree with Brumby's every word, said it yesterday to a few people. Carroll could do damage to Sweden from set pieces etc if they defnd like they did last game.

Edit - just read the article on the beeb which clearly states Carroll for Ox.

Bringing Ox on late in the game as the Swedes tire would be no bad thing anyway. We should win to four. Whether we will is another matter, of course.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sweden's defence must be absolute **** if Daniel Majstorovic was first choice before he got injured.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I don't want to tempt fate or draw too many conclusions from one game, but it looked like the poorest Sweden side I've ever come across.

Uppercut

Sort of makes sense, I suppose. The Swedes looked pretty clueless when the balls for Shevchenko's brace were whipped in. The big fella does add height, although the gulf in class between him and the Ukranian, even in his footballing dotage, is so vast as to render comment on it superfluous.
There's a gulf in class for sure but I reckon there are a fair few defenders at this tournament that would rather be up against Sheva rather than Carroll. Although Carroll's a bit like Harmison in that respect- you'll hate facing him but he probably won't get the job done.

Welbeck might actually be the more similar challenge- likes to nip in ahead of defenders in the way Shev did for his two on Monday. The difference is Welbeck almost always misses at the end of it.

Pothas

Think this is the one England have to win, would not fancy them needing to beat Ukraine in the last game.

Scaly piscine

Yep. Had the same sort of thunder storms here too, albeit they lasted about 10 minutes.

Would be a little bit of a disadvantage to Ukraine and France if they have to play tomorrow.

Edit: Will re-start on the hour apparently.

Scaly piscine

Ukraine playing a very high line considering they've had little possession, are playing on the counter and haven't put that much pressure on the ball carrier.

France aren't playing intelligently against it yet. Not made many runs in behind it yet and have been a bit ponderous faced with the congested area 30-50 yards out.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haven't checked any sites but could it not be Carroll for Parker? With Milner coming in field and Ox switching flanks?

Assuming Parker is having a rest of course.

Anyway I'd agree with Brumby's every word, said it yesterday to a few people. Carroll could do damage to Sweden from set pieces etc if they defnd like they did last game.

Edit - just read the article on the beeb which clearly states Carroll for Ox.

Bringing Ox on late in the game as the Swedes tire would be no bad thing anyway. We should win to four. Whether we will is another matter, of course.
Really hope we don't rest Parker. Our best midfielder last game and we can't afford to be complacent. Would like to see us try and beat Sweeden by as much as possible.

Uppercut

Really hope we don't rest Parker. Our best midfielder last game and we can't afford to be complacent. Would like to see us try and beat Sweeden by as much as possible.
I think the qualification rules mean there's not much point piling up goals against the bottom team.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Regardless, I still think it would be great for England if we managed to stick a few goals past Sweden. I don't actually think we will, but considering how average we looked attacking-wise against France, I think it would do us a lot of good.

And it's not like it's a guaranteed win against Sweden anyway, definitely play Parker for mine.