• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Leaving aside all the analysis, it's all leading up to Scotland scoring early against Croatia and then conceding an equaliser with five minutes left and going out.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought it was a good competitive game, Scotland shaded the chances but a draw was definitely fair.

A draw is a great result for England, so I’m a bit perplexed by the inquest. What’s the difference between this and the Croatia game? Both times they looked underwhelming but solid, and got the result they wanted. Why are the responses so different…?
Hard to be grumpy after the first game. Even the performance wasn't special, we won our opening match for the first time ever and looked the better side against a team which, rightly or wrongly, were viewed as decent (and knocked us out the last WC).

I agree that a draw yesterday was a fine result but the performance was insipid. It wasn't so much that they were bereft of ideas so much as all the ideas were actively bad.

...Plus, we've had journalists telling us all week how perfect Southgate and England were in the first game and how silly it was for anyone to doubt them. So I guess there's also some catharsis that at least those guys can shut up now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to be grumpy after the first game. Even the performance wasn't special, we won our opening match for the first time ever and looked the better side against a team which, rightly or wrongly, were viewed as decent (and knocked us out the last WC).

I agree that a draw yesterday was a fine result but the performance was insipid. It wasn't so much that they were bereft of ideas so much as all the ideas were actively bad.

...Plus, we've had journalists telling us all week how perfect Southgate and England were in the first game and how silly it was for anyone to doubt them. So I guess there's also some catharsis that at least those guys can shut up now.
True, but unfortunately those who are less than sympathetic to Southgate now have an excuse for giving him a good kicking instead.

And you're right about the performance last night of course. The question is how should the side be tweaked rather than making wholesale changes. Thinking about it this morning, I'm coming around to agreeing with those who say that one defensive midfielder is enough. And I would like to see Sancho instead of Sterling next time around, to see if he can reproduce his Dortmund performances at international level. I suppose I'd like to see us look like creating a few chances even if we're more exposed at the back.

Spark

Global Moderator
True, but unfortunately those who are less than sympathetic to Southgate now have an excuse for giving him a good kicking instead.

And you're right about the performance last night of course. The question is how should the side be tweaked rather than making wholesale changes. Thinking about it this morning, I'm coming around to agreeing with those who say that one defensive midfielder is enough. And I would like to see Sancho instead of Sterling next time around, to see if he can reproduce his Dortmund performances at international level. I suppose I'd like to see us look like creating a few chances even if we're more exposed at the back.
Isn't there an element of shuffling the deckchairs by focussing so much on the front three when they're getting no service? I'd personally put Foden back in central midfield first and foremost. I don't understand why you need the Rice-Phillips double pivot against the creative might of the Scottish midfield.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot of the analysis I’m seeing isn’t accounting for the group situation. In general I’m all for one DM and pushing the full backs on, but a draw last night was arguably even better for their tournament chances than a win, given that it makes it easier to finish 2nd. The idea that he needed to make attacking changes after 70 minutes is madness.

DriveClub

International Regular
Will be moot when they lose 0-1 to Spain.
Theres no way England should concede to Spain with a woeful Morata leading their line but England definitely shouldn't play 2 DMs against a possession heavy Spain otherwise it'll be one of the most boring games to watch. Hope that nightmare doesn't happen.

Edit - Btw not saying England vs Spain is a certainty lol

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Billy Gilmour has test positive for Covid. I suppose a player testing positive was always likely to happen, but it must be slightly concerning with the number of people he's been in close contact with.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That'll be all of England's midfield out then as they've been in his back pocket.
I was going to suggest that they'll be fine as they never got close to him. But your point works too.

How the heck does he catch covid if they're all in their team bubbles though?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't be very shocked to learn that the vast majority of positive tests in football are false positives, I can't think of many high profile players who have tested positive and been seriously affected.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't be very shocked to learn that the vast majority of positive tests in football are false positives, I can't think of many high profile players who have tested positive and been seriously affected.
Would he have been vaccinated yet? That would obviously stifle any effects.

But aside from that I'm not sure your point works. Professional footballers are in their 20s and 30s and usually healthy. Unlikely that they'd be impacted in any severe way.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Would he have been vaccinated yet? That would obviously stifle any effects.

But aside from that I'm not sure your point works. Professional footballers are in their 20s and 30s and usually healthy. Unlikely that they'd be impacted in any severe way.
also St Maximin spent two months out and Garay retired

Uppercut

Spain potentially not winning their group means there’s not much difference between 1st and 2nd for England. The runner up probably gets an easier last 16 game but a harder quarter final.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn’t place a great deal of expectation on beating any of the three possible last 16 opponents if we win the group.
None are perhaps as strong as in the past, but we’re still very average.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I wouldn’t place a great deal of expectation on beating any of the three possible last 16 opponents if we win the group.
None are perhaps as strong as in the past, but we’re still very average.
True enough, but with the way Group E is shaping up we could very well find ourselves facing Spain if we finish second anyway.

It's not a no-brainer like it was in 2018.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Mount and Chilwell have to isolate until Monday after spending 25 minutes with Gilmour after the Scotland game. Yet there’s no risk with any of his team mates. Maybe they don’t like him. :clapping:Rather brainless from all three of them.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mount and Chilwell have to isolate until Monday after spending 25 minutes with Gilmour after the Scotland game. Yet there’s no risk with any of his team mates. Maybe they don’t like him. :clapping:Rather brainless from all three of them.
In theory this means that those crying out for Grealish to start should finally get their wish. Alternatively it's an opportunity for Southgate to introduce Henderson to provide a bit more protection for the back 4.

Uppercut

In theory this means that those crying out for Grealish to start should finally get their wish. Alternatively it's an opportunity for Southgate to introduce Henderson to provide a bit more protection for the back 4.
Trippier in for Mount IMO. Team was visibly short of right-backs against Scotland.