• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell Vs Rahul Dravid - who was the better test match batsman?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have Ponting and of course TOTAB ahead of him, but he was a great player and belongs in the argument. Rare for a tall batsman to be so elegant.

Slifer

International Captain
Greg Chappell is imo Australia's second best test batsman. Guy averages 40+ home and away vs all comers. That's as complete a record as you can get. Also, add to that his runs in wsc. Greg is an atg up there with the laras and vivs of the game. Dravid is a rung below.

bagapath

International Captain
By a small margin, Greg Chappell

Dravid's poor record in SA and SL and a slightly weak record against Australia (which is almost compensated by two great knocks in Kolkata and Adelaide) pull him down a notch in my opinion. Greg Chappell was great against everyone, everywhere. Too bad he didn't play in India, but I guess that would not have mattered much to him considering his great record in Pakistan against better bowling units in similar pitch conditions.

OverratedSanity

Chappell by a small amount since he was better against the best attacks of his time. But these things are always hard to judge because dravid had a much longer career. If you take his stats for a comparable number of tests/years his numbers look way more complete than Chappell's.

After 11 years of cricket and 104 tests, Dravid averaged 59.4 with 40+ averages vs everyone everywhere except v SA at home. Absolutely obscene overseas numbers too... 15 of his tons away from home, averaged 56 in Australia, 88 in England, 64 in NZ, 42 in SA. Its interesting to think that his reputation would be even stronger than it is if he'd retired then for some reason. As it is, for his last 5 years he was still very good but had lots of middling series against the best attacks, which ironically were worse than some of the attacks he'd succeeded against at his peak.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid's overseas record is overrated. Other than England he didn't do well in any of the traditionally difficult places to travel for India.

Edit. Overrated only relative to the gold tier batsmen. Definitely one of the best among Indian batsmen over the decades.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Dravid's overseas record is overrated. Other than England he didn't do well in any of the traditionally difficult places to travel for India.

Edit. Overrated only relative to the gold tier batsmen. Definitely one of the best among Indian batsmen over the decades.
True, I'm just wondering how things would be if he'd had a comparable length of career to Chappell.

Zinzan

Both great on the eye, but Chappell slightly better in terms of aesthetics. In fact Chappell, Gower, Mark Waugh & Damien Martyn come a close 2nd to Martin Crowe as the most elegant bats I've seen.

bagapath

International Captain
Both great on the eye, but Chappell slightly better in terms of aesthetics. In fact Chappell, Gower, Mark Waugh & Damien Martyn come a close 2nd to Martin Crowe as the most elegant bats I've seen.
All those names sound right. One will have to add Azhar, Laxman and the most elegant batsman ever, Brian Lara, to that very special list.

Zinzan

All those names sound right. One will have to add Azhar, Laxman and the most elegant batsman ever, Brian Lara, to that very special list.
I'll grant you Laxman. Escaped my mind, & should have been included.

As for Azhar, loved his wristyness but not quite in my top few, while I saw the great BCL more as flamboyant & domineering than elegant, even if he didn't lack elegance.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chappell averaged over 50 at a time when very few did and against some of the greatest bowlers in history in far less batting friendly conditions

SillyCowCorner1

Man, it was great seeing Bishop bowling with some venom.

And a young Jerome Taylor (I believe this was his debut series).

Great vid of Dravid 'The Wall' getting ruffled up

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't possibly be Jerome Taylor. He debuted in Tests in 2003, five years after Bishop's final Test.

cnerd123

likes this
Chappell played 96/151 innings in Home conditions. Dravid played on well past his peak. Chappell played in arguably a tougher era for batting, but Dravid has had a much longer career. Dravid's peak batting rating as per the ICC methodology was 892, Chappell's was 883. They both basically average the same thing. They're both great to watch when on song.

It's a wash IMO. Don't think you could decisively say who is better. Both played in very different styles too - I'd rather Dravid to face out a tough spell of bowling, but probably pick Chappell if I wanted someone to hit an aggressive 100.