• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketers since 1980

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tier 1

GS Chappell
BC Lara
SM Gavaskar (on reputation alone, best before the 80s but allowing him to stay in the top tier)
IVA Richards
SR Tendulkar

Tier 2

AR Border
R Dravid
Javd Miandad
RT Ponting
SR Waugh

Tier 3

MD Crowe
A Flower
AC Gilchrist
ML Hayden
Inzamam-ul-Haq
RB Richardson
KC Sangakkara
V Sehwag

Tier 4

GA Gooch
CG Greenidge
M Azharuddin
S Chanderpaul
DPMD Jayawardene
G Kirsten
VVS Laxman
GC Smith
Mohammad Yousuf

Tier 5

Younis Khan
JL Langer
KP Pietersen
GP Thorpe
ME Trescothick
Fleming may also be close to this tier for players with a whole heap of runs.
Is it a mistake or you don't rate Kallis at all?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is many of the other tier 1 players aren't 'unarguably' better than them also. Especially when you have Gavaskar in tier 1 and especially when you cannot split Ponting's contemporary opponents, in Tendulkar and Lara, with him.
True. That's why keeping all 9 of them at level 1 seems to be a better option to me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All of Hadlee, Marshall, Muralitharan, Imran, McGrath, Ambrose, Akram and Warne must be in level 1 for bowling. At least these 8...

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Border>Gavaskar/Lara/Richards/Chappell/Dravid/Ponting/Waugh/Miandad/Kallis by a small margin IMHO.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Border criminally underrated here IMHO.

Even Wisden has him as the fifth greatest Batsman of all-time.

Wisden's List

1. Donald Bradman
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards
4. Garry Sobers
5. Allan Border

My Top five would be :-

1. Donald Bradman
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Jack Hobbs
4. Garry Sobers
5. Allan Border

Top five after 1980 would be:-

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Allan Border
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Brian Lara

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Border criminally underrated here IMHO.

Even Wisden has him as the fifth greatest Batsman of all-time.

Wisden's List

1. Donald Bradman
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards
4. Garry Sobers
5. Allan Border

My Top five would be :-

1. Donald Bradman
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Jack Hobbs
4. Garry Sobers
5. Allan Border

Top five after 1980 would be:-

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Allan Border
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Brian Lara
No Viv?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Viv = 6th for me. Can see why people wouldn't agree, but yeah always felt Viv was a little overrated and Greenidge and Lloyd more than a little underrated.

EDIT:-As a Test Batsman of course, As an ODI Batsman, Viv is, far and away, the greatest ever IMHO.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Arguably Ponting is just as good/equal to that of Tendulkar or Lara. I can see where you are coming from but I would say Ponting is a step ahead of Miandad, Border and Waugh.
Hah. Absolutely no way that Ponting deserves to be in front of Border.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Border>Gavaskar/Lara/Richards/Chappell/Dravid/Ponting/Waugh/Miandad/Kallis by a small margin IMHO.
I think Sachin and Lara > Border and the rest..

And yes, I think Lara is still better than Sachin in tests.

And there is no way Hobbs is < Sachin as a test batsman either. And it will show up if Wisden were to do the lists NOW...

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think Sachin and Lara > Border and the rest..

And yes, I think Lara is still better than Sachin in tests.

And there is no way Hobbs is < Sachin as a test batsman either. And it will show up if Wisden were to do the lists NOW...
It isn't really that objective ya' know, opinions and all that.

Teja.

Global Moderator
No Graeme Pollock or Ken Barrington anywhere to be seen.
It's either because everyone here is biased or because of the simple fact that Pollock and Barrington played their cricket in the 50s and the 60s and the title of the Thread is 'Greatest Cricketers since 1980'.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Maybe 5 years ago, but I think most people consider Ponting ahead of Border. Different batsmen, with different styles and different careers though.
Ponting 5 years ago (2006) had a better reputation than he does now. Wrongly IMO, but it's how fickle fans, and even experts, are.

There were articles about him being comfortably 2nd to Bradman in Australia. Not sure that is as clear cut to many people with his average falling from 60 to 55.

It's stupid, because what he accomplished from the beginning of his career to 2006 haven't changed. Just saying that the general consensus has changed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It isn't really that objective ya' know, opinions and all that.
get it totally.. But I meant the ranking of guys in between.. For me, Lara and Sachin are so close that I can't even imagine how there can be a batsman between them in the ratings.. I understand you think Ponting is better than Lara, and I won't necessarily say it is a daft opinion, although for me, he is CLEARLY better.. But I was talkign about blokes like Hobbs being rated higher by you.. Based on accounts, I can't see how he can be considered as better than one of Lara/Sachin and not better than the other. For me, he is better than both or worse than both. Again, just my opinion, juz surprised about your rating, that is all.. :)

And also, the Wisden bit was to point out it happened during Sachin's amazing first peak.. After which his legacy did come down somewhat, even though he has been Godly in the last 3 years.. And thank God for that, as it has coincided with our team overall getting a little better and this has helped us so much to become #1 in the world. :)

Last edited: