• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn McGrath vs Richard Hadlee

Who was the greater bowler?

• Glenn McGrath

Votes: 43 59.7%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 29 40.3%

• Total voters

Slifer

International Captain
Same imo, it's toss up between McGrath, Hadlee and Marshall. Usually though, I go Mcgrath/Marshall, then Hadlee so McGrath for me. What a fcking bowler !!!

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Mcgrath by some Margin.

Even though Hadlee was great, almost all who have seen him say that Marshall was better by quite some margin.

Mcgrath played in a batting friendly era against better batsman and outperformed his contemporaries like Wasim and Ambrose.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely McGrath. I think he's better than Marshall too. Unparalleled record of dismissing top-order batsmen and the best batsmen in the opposition. As others have mentioned did all this in supposedly one of the most difficult places as a bowler during a batting-friendly era.

If anyone's going to come close though, it's Hadlee

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I went down the dirty path of finding a "hole in the record". Hadlee has ordinary numbers only in Pakistan (avg 44.xx) form a solitary tour early in his career and I wouldn't hold that against him as such. But what is interesting is that his SR (60) is not all that bad in the tour but his economy is ****ed (4.45 rpo). Why was he getting so much spanking on that tour? See: https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...02;template=results;type=bowling;view=innings

subshakerz

International Coach
I went down the dirty path of finding a "hole in the record". Hadlee has ordinary numbers only in Pakistan (avg 44.xx) form a solitary tour early in his career and I wouldn't hold that against him as such. But what is interesting is that his SR (60) is not all that bad in the tour but his economy is ****ed (4.45 rpo). Why was he getting so much spanking on that tour? See: https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...02;template=results;type=bowling;view=innings
McGrath also had fairly high averages in Sri Lanka and Pakistan but nobody mentions that.

Hadlee however, had a middling series in WI at his peak, which would have been the ultimate challenge that he didn't quite cross.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd always thought the very strong prevailing opinion on CW was that McGrath was second only to Marshall and so I'm actually surprised Hadlee has as many votes here as he does. I would have assumed that the large majority would have voted McGrath, albeit by only a small margin.

smash84

The Tiger King
Hadlee, like Imran, had a slow start to his career. That Pakistan tour was when he hadn't really developed as the champion bowler that he would come to be known as. Plus the pitches in Pakistan were, to borrow the term from Lillee, "graveyards" for fast bowlers, on which he had to face the likes of Majid Khan, Zaheer Abbas, (a young and coming) Miandad, Mushtaq Mohammad, and an early Imran who was known for aggressive batting. Hence, these factors combined to give him the spanking that you see.

Slifer

International Captain
I'd always thought the very strong prevailing opinion on CW was that McGrath was second only to Marshall and so I'm actually surprised Hadlee has as many votes here as he does. I would have assumed that the large majority would have voted McGrath, albeit by only a small margin.
Which is what's currently happening. 16-10 in favor of McGrath