• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn McGrath vs Allan Donald

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I dont even think it is close. Not even in the same bracket.

Donald was an athlete, I would pay to watch him and I wanted to be like him. But McGrath was a different class.

McGrath in the small handful included in the discussion for best ever. Donald a group or two behind.
What makes you say that though? Until Donald's retirement I think most people would say they were even, if not even nudging towards Donald. Why is it not close?

bagapath

International Captain
From Urban Dictionary

What does rassclath mean?
"Rassclat" is a derivative of "Bumpaclat" and "*****clat", both of which are Jamaican slang for menstral sanitary towels (Tampons and Pads). "Rassclat" can sometimes be shortened to "Rass".

"Rassclat" can be used as an adjective to disparage an object, but it is most often used as a highly offensive insult against a person.

bagapath

International Captain
For me

Wasim>Ambrose>Waqar>Donald>McGrath>Polly.
agree with you. was including only those in discussion till then

if i have to watch one fast bowler in full flight (or down beer after beer in a chennai pub) i vote for dennis lillee.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
"Rassclat" is a derivative of "Bumpaclat" and "*****clat", both of which are Jamaican slang for menstral sanitary towels (Tampons and Pads). "Rassclat" can sometimes be shortened to "Rass".

"Rassclat" can be used as an adjective to disparage an object, but it is most often used as a highly offensive insult against a person.
Yuck, aussie, that's vile

Beleg

International Regular
what's so vile about the word itself? and are tampoons and pads now considered 'vile' by default? 8-)8-)8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What makes you say that though? Until Donald's retirement I think most people would say they were even, if not even nudging towards Donald. Why is it not close?
Word. People may able to say McGrath is better because of his statistical success in most conditions. But damn at their respective peaks i've always felt you really can't separate McGrath/Wasim/Amrbose/Donald/Waqar.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Damn yo, i dont know who wrote that "urban dictionary" ha, but that is crap. But anyway keep it on the cricket...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont even think it is close. Not even in the same bracket.

Donald was an athlete, I would pay to watch him and I wanted to be like him. But McGrath was a different class.

McGrath in the small handful included in the discussion for best ever. Donald a group or two behind.
FWIW, I agree with this.

bagapath

International Captain
Word. People may able to say McGrath is better because of his statistical success in most conditions. But damn at their respective peaks i've always felt you really can't separate McGrath/Wasim/Amrbose/Donald/Waqar.
bang on, mate

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
I personally would say that all bowlers being at their peak, I would give Waqar the edge tbh.

Waqar>Ambrose>Wasim>Donald>Mcgrath (at their respective peaks).

tooextracool

International Coach
I personally would say that all bowlers being at their peak, I would give Waqar the edge tbh.

Waqar>Ambrose>Wasim>Donald>Mcgrath (at their respective peaks).
Yeah I would agree with that. Since 1992, I have not seen a more devastating bowler than Waqar Younis was during the early 90s.

However, I agree with Goughy with McGrath. Personally, just I think he is hands down the best bowler I have seen play since watching cricket. Its not just the fact that he took wickets on some in the flattest conditions, the way in which he was able to plan and execute his bowling plans in working out batsmen just puts him a notch above everyone else.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The difference being Donald was one of the best of his time and McGrath was one of the best of all time.

McGrath is one of the top four I have ever seen bowl (Ambrose, Hadlee, Marshall class). Donald is in the notch below with Wasim, Pollock etc)

The only person I struggle to classify is Waqar.

Donald was a crowds dream but McGrath was a captains dream. A complete two-fer. Bowled wickettaking balls and controlled the pace of the game. It is not disresepect to Donald. Just that I regard McGrath so highly.

Last edited:

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Cant say i disagree with ne thing u just wrote although i would like to add Trueman, Lillee and Imran to the top rung of great fast bowlers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think what also impresses me with McGrath, aside from his many other qualities, is his longevity. Sorry to say that for Donald the end came brutally quickly because (ironically) he was no longer brutally quick himself. McGrath, on the other hand, signed off from international cricket as the leading wicket taker in the world cup and, one suspects, would probably still not disgace himself if he turned out for Oz tomorrow in Cardiff.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think what also impresses me with McGrath, aside from his many other qualities, is his longevity. Sorry to say that for Donald the end came brutally quickly because (ironically) he was no longer brutally quick himself. McGrath, on the other hand, signed off from international cricket as the leading wicket taker in the world cup and, one suspects, would probably still not disgace himself if he turned out for Oz tomorrow in Cardiff.
You'd back to him to fire up at the first dropped catch too. Classy, classy bowler. Completely agree with Goughy on McGrath.