• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016 pub

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Decided I should watch this..two reasons..

My dad would have watched it end to end to the major annoyance of my mum who hated anything to do with sport. He was your typical England supporter, forever optimistic,but realistic about England s chances,just loved the game really. So I shall watch in his memory.
And second.. One of the guys I work for is off to see some games and I will get a running commentary at work when he gets back/ or has watched them on tv..
As I have Welsh blood in me I shall be supporting Wales and England .. Might regret this decision cos I know very little next to you guys,but hey..could learn something new..

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always look forward to international tournaments.. club football has gone a bit dull for me these days.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm having my first can of Stella of the Tournament, it feels good, and this is the time it properly started.

Daemon

Went here yesterday to watch the Eng-Rus game, such a good atmosphere. They're showing all the games for free on that big screen and it's not even that crowded. Love Vienna.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep. Apparently they placed a last minute ban on alcohol because of what's going on in Marseille, so flibjibb is literally correct with his statement.
Surrender monkeys are the French though.

The Rathaus is such an awesone area of town.

Howe_zat

Audio File
BBC has quotes from various Russian news outlets excusing their fans for the violence.

Popular Russian news website Gazeta.ru called the result "Russia's miraculous rescue". However, the main headline was: "These people are not fans. They came to fight" which, according to the site, was "provoked by English fans".

"Such behaviour is typical of English fans," a correspondent for state-owned channel Rossiya 24 said. Gazprom-owned NTV built on that idea further, saying that it was "no accident that both 'football' and 'hooligan' are English words".

Venerable Russian sports news site Sovetsky Sport said: "What to do on a Saturday morning? Drink beer, get a tan, then go and fight with police, throw chairs and glass bottles. What could be better for English fans?"

Pro-Kremlin news portal Life.ru was almost jubilant in its coverage of the fighting at Marseille port during the day, noting that it "began with many provocations by the English fans" and "ended with the latter making a cowardly retreat from the field of battle".

Curiously, Russian sports news portal Sport Express reported that the Marseille port brawl had involved only "England fans and local Arabs" with no Russian presence.
Moscow daily free newspaper Vechernyaya Moskva, in an article headlined "No-holds-barred fighting at the Velodrome", noted that fans exchanged insults throughout the match, while at full-time "around 30 Russian fans broke into the English sector and started a fight… Yes, of course, the English are to blame. Why did they shout insults at Russia, Putin and, for some reason, Sharapova? And ours, you could say, answered them."
I'm thinking this is probably the dregs of the Russian media but if anything but, there is a serious problem with the footballing culture in the country. Even the worst nationalist rags here will condemn violence.

Uppercut

BBC has quotes from various Russian news outlets excusing their fans for the violence.

I'm thinking this is probably the dregs of the Russian media but if anything but, there is a serious problem with the footballing culture in the country. Even the worst nationalist rags here will condemn violence.
Nah this is 100% standard for Russian media on any subject.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Tbf Russia is the dregs of humanity.

vcs

Quite disgusting. Obviously loads of idiots on both sides but I'm inclined to throw much more blame on the Russian side, considering their disgusting recent history of racism, and the quotes I've seen from their press, and some of their ultras.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Watched most of the games so far. The wife asked me last night when she will get to see some attractive football? I know it's all perspective but I don't have an answer for her. In retrospect France were better than most. Packed defenses make for some pretty boring football and this is the Euros.

She has decided that Ronaldo will be the answer. One can but hope.