• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English national football, where do we go from here?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The difference between us and you is that we know we're **** and don't delude ourselves into thinking that this will be our year once every 4 years.
Umm, wasn't there a song by Ally Mcleod about winning the cup, obvs you can't believe it when you don't qualify, but when you did you were even more deluded then us.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The difference between us and you is that we know we're **** and don't delude ourselves into thinking that this will be our year once every 4 years.
Why is it then that many of the best players/coaches laud the English team then? That old chestnut where the English hype their players doesn't wash here. You have the likes of Torres, Xavi, Hiddink, Zidane, Capello, Ferguson, and many others either praising the English players or team.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A question: do English fans want Capello to stay?

Personally, I reckon he is a great coach - and is proven - but I just can't see them winning anything in two years time (if they qualify) playing this kind of football. Even today, had they gone through, I would have doubted them against the better sides.

Matteh

Personally, I reckon he is a great coach - and is proven - but I just can't see them winning anything in two years time (if they qualify) playing this kind of football. Even today, had they gone through, I would have doubted them against the better sides.
Yeah, keep him. Get rid of the players.

Can't fault the coach for how inept those guys have been the last month.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

You can't polish a turd. England have a sprinkling of very good players to work with, with a supporting cast of technically and tactically inept donkeys. I think Capello's certainly made some interesting decisions over the last few weeks, but it's hardly Capello's fault that he's got absolutely nothing to pick from when it comes to selecting goalkeepers or strikers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're kidding yourself on if you think that David James, Glenn Johnson, Matthew Upson, Gareth Barry, James Milner or Jermaine Defoe would get into the German side which bitch-slapped you today, never mind crap like Heskey, Crouch, Lennon, Carragher, or Wright-Phillips.
I think the English posters here realise this, but it's a point worth making anyway because no one else in England seems to.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In counter to the "expert Scot", I seem to remember that a few years ago under SGE he was slated consistently for only looking at players who were playing for the "big 4".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Need to sort the media out first, maybe they can stop printing stories that make out England to be one of the best teams in the world. As Uppercut has stated, Germany are a far better team and it showed. Furthermore, the following players are not international class; Glen Johnson, Matthew Upson, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard. Steven Gerrard, Emile Heskey, Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Philips, and generally most of the team. Then maybe get some players who actually have basic ball control and can pass the ball along the ground rather than just going route one all the time. Gah.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why is it then that many of the best players/coaches laud the English team then? That old chestnut where the English hype their players doesn't wash here. You have the likes of Torres, Xavi, Hiddink, Zidane, Capello, Ferguson, and many others either praising the English players or team.
Haha, much like when you get Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger saying how great West Brom were after Man Utd/Arsenal just rolled them over 5-0. They can say all they want, the fact that they are respected professionals doesn't change the fact that they like and nobody else have any proof to justify the claim that England are a good side.

And yes I would like Capello to stay, because lord knows England will not get a better coach.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Need to sort the media out first, maybe they can stop printing stories that make out England to be one of the best teams in the world. As Uppercut has stated, Germany are a far better team and it showed. Furthermore, the following players are not international class; Glen Johnson, Matthew Upson, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard. Steven Gerrard, Emile Heskey, Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon, Shaun Wright-Philips, and generally most of the team. Then maybe get some players who actually have basic ball control and can pass the ball along the ground rather than just going route one all the time. Gah.
LOL especially Gerrard

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wouldn't have mentioned his name if he played for England with anything like as much effort as he puts in for Liverpool tbh. Gareth Barry is just arse though.

Matteh

England C team.

If playing average professionals and semi-pros got NZ to where they are, don't see why it wouldn't work for England. At the very least they'd leap at the chance and give it their all.