• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England : Worst bowling attack in the current world cup?

Himannv

International Coach
Nope, India's is defo. worse. In the beginning of the WC, I'd have rated the English attack near the top tbh. In Broad and Swann they have two of the best LO bowlers in the world.

Anderson in current form is actually a negative though, really realy have to drop him IMO.
I think India are probably better than them. Zaheer has been bowling quite well now and then and Munaf isn't the worst bowler around either. The spinners could come to the party as well now and then so I'd rate them ahead of England at this stage.

England have been pretty poor recently. Anderson seems to have temporarily forgotten how to bowl, Broad got attacked a fair bit more than anyone today and Bresnan is probably their best pacer at the moment which isn't saying much. Yardy has been very ordinary and I dont think they really need him in the team right now. Only Swann has bowled well so far. Not doing well at the moment and their bowlers need a couple of easy games right now to get some confidence back.

On the whole I'd say they're probably on par or a bit better than Bangladesh but most other test playing nations have better attacks.

Himannv

International Coach
Stuart Broad is the most over-rated bowler in world cricket
Had a pretty awful game here. I'd say he was overrated sometime back, but not anymore. He's been pretty good for a couple of years or so now. Was fantastic in the last T20 WC as well. I think this game was probably down to injury and lack of matches and confidence.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Stuart Broad is the most over-rated bowler in world cricket.
no, that would be Vettori. He took over that mantle when Shane Bond finally retired after he realised he wasnt fooling anyone by faking injury anymore

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The real worry is that England have an excellent bowling attack, who are playing really really really badly. If they were poor bowlers, it would be understandable, but Swann, Anderson and Broad are all near the top of the ICC rankings, and Bresnan is good too. They should be doing much much better

I think its possible they all just put so much into The Ashes (where England hammered the Aussies lets not forget, wow, how long ago does that seem now?) that they are simply worn out.

Shahzad and Tredwell and Wright to be called up to face South Africa!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, I'm wondering why Shahzad hasn't been tried already. He might go for some runs but he's hitting the splice hard and is a wicket-taker. England have built their bowling around a T20-like strategy and, considering the nature of the strips so far, that's fair enough but might be time for a re-think.

Spark

Global Moderator
They're also dropping quite a lot of catches, which is particularly unusual of late.

gvenkat

State Captain
India are better. If India decide to play Ashwin instead of Chawla, They will have three potential wicket-takers in Zak, Ash and Bhajji.

England on the other hand have just Swann and Bresnan.. Anderson is useless in sub-continent and Broad is probably injured.

flibbertyjibber

Drop Anderson and we will improve, he looks shot to pieces after the ashes, kids being born and what not. Play Shahzad and see if he can do better, can't do any worse. Anderson going at 7.5 an over in the 3 games so far. Utter crap.

salman85

International Debutant
Their really isn't anything to choose between India and England as far as bowling goes.Both of them have world class spinners in Swann and Harbhajan,so there's not much to choose there.In terms of fast bowling,both sides lack one genuine match winner.Anderson is probably the one that comes closest,but he can be very hot and cold,and he's obviously going through a poor patch.I don't see that changing since the conditions don't suit him.So both sides are evenly matched as far as fast bowling goes.

What might give India is the edge however,is their part time bowlers.They have more options than England,and more importantly,they are all spinners,who will always be a handful on SubContinent pitches.

vcs

Well, the makeup of England's attack (Broad, Swann, Anderson) hasn't changed much from the last time they toured India in 2008 and they did get a lot of punishment in that series. So it isn't entirely surprising either.

Conditions in India are extremely tough on bowlers, and going by recent history, it seems only Australia know how to do a decent job here.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Everyone thought all those three bowlers improved though to be fair. And they have improved. I think Broad is a little unfit and Swann is better than he was in 2008. He just got hit around by Sachin.

pup11

International Coach
I think English have a world class bowling line-up and its just that they have failed to come to terms with the sub-continental conditions, I think likes of Broad, Anderson, Bresnan have all been guilty of trying way too many things rather then just sticking to the basics.

I think Strauss' captaincy has also been pretty poor so far, as badly as English fast bowlers might have bowled I think Strauss as a captain hasn't used his resources smartly enough and he has just failed to adapt to different situations of the game.

Among the top 5 teams India by far has the weakest bowling line-up but I think Dhoni is a street smart leader and he has the know how to use his limited resources pretty well and I have a feeling for games featuring India we would now probably see slightly unprepared wickets that would bring their spinners into play hence adding more bite to their bowling attack.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to England they have played on some of the flatter wickets so far,but at the same time they do not have a "excellent" ODI attack by any means.
I think people are basing that on their test performances in Australia or t20 performances in WI ,both of which were completely different in any case.
On ODI performances alone there attack has not been that strong for a while now and specially in such conditons they have been found out for a while.

It is actually now a close contest between them and India on who has the weakest ODI attack ,but i think in such conditions India would have a slight edge due to the spinners.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In all fairness to Broad he's coming back from a touch of Gandhi's Revenge, which was why he missed the India tie. The commentators yesterday mentioned he's lost weight and wasn't exactly starting from a huge BMI before the Jimmy Brits hit.

Playing a man suffering from the after-effects of dehydration and a obviously out of form Anderson ahead of Shahzad was madness.

The trouble is our other bowling options aside from Ajmal are Tredwell, rated a worse spinner than Yardy and who is to fielding what Hitler was to rabbinical studies, and Wright, who's probably never once bowled his full compliment of overs.

So yeah, on balance, it is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What might give India is the edge however,is their part time bowlers.They have more options than England,and more importantly,they are all spinners,who will always be a handful on SubContinent pitches.
To be honest, that England line up from yesterday did include 5 frontline bowlers (if you count Yardy as that) plus 3 reasonable (or better in Colly's case) part timers and one who was a good part timer but has given up bowling.

shivfan

Banned
I thought Broad was terrible against Ireland, even making allowances for his knee or wherever he had hurt himself.

Like someone earlier said, he is overrated.
What is curious is that even though he was injured, Strauss preferred to bowl Broad instead of Yardy, so that begs the question: what's the point of Yardy?

shivfan

Banned
tbh, I'm wondering why Shahzad hasn't been tried already. He might go for some runs but he's hitting the splice hard and is a wicket-taker. England have built their bowling around a T20-like strategy and, considering the nature of the strips so far, that's fair enough but might be time for a re-think.
Agreed....

I think both Shahzad and Bopara should be in the England team for the next match.