• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Ashes Squad

Groundking

International Debutant
What do you do as selectors.

You've been through the following with no or very limited success. Very risky to go to someone new. So basically it was all about gut feel. In this case Root for Ballance & Bayliss for Vince. Could have been anyone for anyone.

Lyth
Robson
Compton
Hameed
Jennings
Duckett
Westley
Ballance
Hales
Vince
Malan
(Stoneman)
I don't feel sorry for the selectors at all as they've been **** for years making brain dead decisions, and I honestly don't really mind them going back to Ballance again as at least he has previous of being able to score runs against international standard cricketers, and he has scored **** tonnes in the county, but why the **** are they picking Vince and Crane, it's far far too early for Crane and he's been crap, and Vince has had his chance, failed miserably, proceeded to have a naff county season and still somehow gets in, he better be 3rd in the line out of himself, Ballance and Foakes as the final batting spot (Malan will get a couple of games IMO). Here are all the lads we could have picked that had better seasons than him that haven't gone:

Rory Burns 1041 @ 49.57
Liam Livingstone 785 @ 46.17
Dan Lawrence 761 @ 44.76
Nick Browne 952 @ 43.27
Tom Westley 561 @ 43.15
Alex Davies 916 @ 39.82
Sam Robson 785 @ 38.25
Jonathan Trott 967 @ 37.19
Steven Davies 775 @ 35.22

These all have better records this season, and some have better test records too, so why the **** have they picked Vince when there are SO SO SO ****ing many more batsmen that have done better this year? It's continuous **** like this is why the selectors need sacking (alongside Bayliss) after we get royally ****ed this winter.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't feel sorry for the selectors at all as they've been **** for years making brain dead decisions, and I honestly don't really mind them going back to Ballance again as at least he has previous of being able to score runs against international standard cricketers, and he has scored **** tonnes in the county, but why the **** are they picking Vince and Crane, it's far far too early for Crane and he's been crap, and Vince has had his chance, failed miserably, proceeded to have a naff county season and still somehow gets in, he better be 3rd in the line out of himself, Ballance and Foakes as the final batting spot (Malan will get a couple of games IMO). Here are all the lads we could have picked that had better seasons than him that haven't gone:

Rory Burns 1041 @ 49.57
Liam Livingstone 785 @ 46.17
Dan Lawrence 761 @ 44.76
Nick Browne 952 @ 43.27
Tom Westley 561 @ 43.15
Alex Davies 916 @ 39.82
Sam Robson 785 @ 38.25
Jonathan Trott 967 @ 37.19
Steven Davies 775 @ 35.22

These all have better records this season, and some have better test records too, so why the **** have they picked Vince when there are SO SO SO ****ing many more batsmen that have done better this year? It's continuous **** like this is why the selectors need sacking (alongside Bayliss) after we get royally ****ed this winter.
The problem with that rationale is that many of the batsmen that have failed had better records when picked. Jennings, Robson, Compton,Duckett, Lyth all had massive seasons behind them.The selectors just can't keep hailing a new cab.

Again, I think Vince is bizarre, but TBH picking any of those names with no Test Experience would be equally strange and unfair on those batsmen. They clearly don't rate Westley's performance and Trott isn't available.

The selectors can't conjure up good batsmen when there aren't any.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Then they should have just persevered with Westley. Why persevere through the English summer with Westley if you only suddenly drop him for a former test casualty who has a lower county average than Westley? And why Malan and not Westley? It makes no sense. At least Ballance has the rational of a great county season. They should have played Crane once in England before Oz, otherwise Crane's time would be better served with the Lions. Do not know what Rashid has done? Must have shagged Root's wife? And there is no pace whatsoever! Stokes and Overton are the fastest. Everybody else is a medium-fast green top bowler! If Wood is truly a knackered job then at least take Liam Plunkett.

I'm not really sure about Foakes's selection. I have a lot of time for Ben Foakes but he should have been selected before investing so much in Bairstow, who is actually a fine keeper now.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Don't get the "Bairstow is a good keeper now" thing. It's a sunk cost argument. So what? Look at the future, not the past. Is he a better keeper than Foakes? Even if he is better, would giving Foakes the gloves and him the number 5 slot be better for the team in terms of runs scored and catches/stumpings? These are the questions to ask.

fredfertang

I just hope England get embarrassed. A 5-0 hammering in 3 days per test will do Just nicely. England arrogant to the extreme. Daren't even say no to Stokes as they think he's half decent. 1 man bigger than the team syndrome. Totally and utterly spineless that ECB.
Hello Pigeon - this prediction will be as accurate as the one you made in '05

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got to say that squad is horrendous. Called Ballance weeks ago and think he will play ahead of Vince as they will see his ability under the helmet as a bonus and him getting his 20 off 50 balls will be better than Vince's 12 off 20. Delighted we have picked Foakes and Overton and think both will play at some stage so looking forward to that. Amazed that Finn wasn't picked but happy he wasn't. Think we are desperate for Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Stokes to stay fit though as the back up looks weak/raw.

Last edited:

grecian

With Ball/Cove they clearly went for bounce rather than pace. Would be nice to have both, but not sure anyone fits the bill. That's why Finn was persevered with and Jove fast-tracked. I think Ball is a better bowler than Wood in general, so not too bothered with his selection, his Test stats were a bit unfortunate I felt. Likely there as cover for Broad though, so hope he doesn't play.

Woodster

International Captain
With Ball/Cove they clearly went for bounce rather than pace. Would be nice to have both, but not sure anyone fits the bill. That's why Finn was persevered with and Jove fast-tracked. I think Ball is a better bowler than Wood in general, so not too bothered with his selection, his Test stats were a bit unfortunate I felt. Likely there as cover for Broad though, so hope he doesn't play.
I think Ball is a different type of bowler to Wood though. Ball, from what I've seen, is pretty similar to Coverton, a fit Mark Wood offers that pace, skiddy style of bowling and a bit of reverse swing in favourable conditions. He's just a different option to what we've got in the squad.

Firebreaker

Banned
Actually which Overton is better? Craig or Jamie? I know Jamie is injured these days but I remember both of them made England ODI squad in 2015 I guess

grecian

Actually which Overton is better? Craig or Jamie? I know Jamie is injured these days but I remember both of them made England ODI squad in 2015 I guess
They're different, despite looking the same. Jamie is just a lot quicker, but immensely more erratic. Craig is slower but steadier. Both hit the seam hard and get good bounce due to their height.

SeamUp

International Coach
Both Ballance and Vince stated their surprise at being called up to the press yesterday. Says it all really.

Supposedly Westley celbrated the CC yesterday like he had never been told of being dropped.

Mrpiggy

Banned
I actually do not think they're arrogant. I think they know they are going down under as underdogs.
Underdogs or not, I'm a proud cricket fam and got my ticket for the 1st match and I want Aus to hammer Eng.
I can hear all the cry babies now:
"But we'd of won if Stokes was playing" I still reckon the ECB will wangle it so he's "suspended" now and be allowed to play in Ashes and get on the plane just in time.
Pathetic and Predictable
Easily Corrupted Bunch, The ECB!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Look, don't get ahead of yourself. If Stokes is ruled out, England can finally select their premier all-rounder.

It's Rikki time.

Mrpiggy

Banned
Look, don't get ahead of yourself. If Stokes is ruled out, England can finally select their premier all-rounder.

It's Rikki time.
I'd be amazed if he was, more amazed in the fact the ECB would develop a spine. I'd love Hazelwood to smash a Yorker into Anderson's foot too! Another arrogant to***r

harsh.ag

I'd be amazed if he was, more amazed in the fact the ECB would develop a spine. I'd love Hazelwood to smash a Yorker into Anderson's foot too! Another arrogant to***r
Spell Hazlewood's name right before you go on to love him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting stuff for decisions moving forward. Also saw the Daily Express released a video where Stokes was ridiculing Katie Price's 'special kid' - typical English press to knock a man when he is down but what about the nonce who sold the footage whoever the **** it was.

With coach Trevor Bayliss intending to fly home to Australia in the next 48 hours, he and Joe Root have already been exchanging Ashes ideas.

They could add two players to the squad to compensate for the loss of all-rounder Stokes with the likes of Tom Westley, Liam Livingstone, Jason Roy, Liam Dawson, Liam Plunkett and Steven Finn in the frame.

With the ECB likely to wait for any police action before deciding whether to take disciplinary action, Stokes and Alex Hales could remain in limbo for weeks or even months.
There was further fall-out from the scandal when the announcements of the England one-day squad for Australia, the England Lions party and the names of next year’s centrally-contracted players – all scheduled for next Wednesday – were delayed.
Greene King will continue sponsoring the England team but the ad, which also features Alastair Cook and ex-skipper Michael Vaughan, will no longer be shown. The ECB are worried other sponsors might consider their association with the team.