• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Ashes Squad

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Underdogs or not, I'm a proud cricket fam and got my ticket for the 1st match and I want Aus to hammer Eng.
I can hear all the cry babies now:
"But we'd of won if Stokes was playing" I still reckon the ECB will wangle it so he's "suspended" now and be allowed to play in Ashes and get on the plane just in time.
Pathetic and Predictable
Easily Corrupted Bunch, The ECB!
Urrrgh, this is such a horrific post.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Urrrgh, this is such a horrific post.

Yup, possibly the worst first three posts that we've seen from a newbie. Maybe even worse than the contributions from Codpiece, or whatever the name was of the saffer who incessantly bleated about quotas a few months back.

FBU

International Debutant
Yet to make a debut - Foakes, Crane, Overton, Curran
Stoneman, Ball (3 Tests)
Malan (5)
Vince (7)

It is frightening that is half the squad.

Bayliss saying that they wouldn't pick anyone who hadn't played Tests in the last 18 months and we have four players so far in the squad. Don't know who may be called up from the Lions.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well the old duds choked in 2013-14. I suppose there is a massive gamble at play, a bit like how the Aussies were chucking the green baggy at just about everyone after 2006-7. It is a pity Jamie Porter was injured and (and I'm usually pilloried on here for this) would've taken Sam Northeast as a number three, but that ship has sailed and for reasons nobody knows, the idiots at the ECB have selected James Vince! Heck, at least Ballance and Finn had a logic to it, being that he scored a multitude of championship runs/took wickets! Vince did not even have a good championship!

Stapel

International Regular
Has there been a clear statement from the ECB on Stokes?

It's probably somewhere in this thread. But yeah...., too lazy......

Compton

International Debutant
Why hasn’t Foakes played Test Cricket before now? His average for the last 2 seasons has consistently stayed above 40 in Division 1, and the season prior it was over 50 in Division 2.

Am I missing something? Because some of the batsmen picked in that time have been absolute dross.

Is it just a case of not picking him because they look at him purely as a WK? Because he’s probably England’s best pure keeper as well...

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Now Ball is injured wonder who else they will go to before Plunkett who should be in the XI. Curran already our 10th choice bowler.

Root influence over Rashid, relevant to Plunkett too?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose they could call Plunkett over and warm him up in the last tour game..but the dudes only played the 2 matches for Yorkshire this season. Doesn't feel right.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I suppose they could call Plunkett over and warm him up in the last tour game..but the dudes only played the 2 matches for Yorkshire this season. Doesn't feel right.
Because he’s been playing for England, rested or injured.

Woakes has hardly played any first class cricket this season too.

morgieb

Why hasn’t Foakes played Test Cricket before now? His average for the last 2 seasons has consistently stayed above 40 in Division 1, and the season prior it was over 50 in Division 2.

Am I missing something? Because some of the batsmen picked in that time have been absolute dross.

Is it just a case of not picking him because they look at him purely as a WK? Because he’s probably England’s best pure keeper as well...
Well tbf it's not like their current WK is doing too badly.

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
1) Cook
2) Stoneman
3) Root
4) Livingstone
5) Hales
6) Stokes
7) Bairstow
8) Moeen
9) Woakes
10) Broad
11) Anderson

12) Foakes
13) Finn
14) Jack Leach
15) Hameed
16) Wood
I'll wait to watch Cook scoring some big centuries in this Ashes series. It is always fun to watch him play in the matches and scoring 200 runs in an inning.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Plunkett can't even go a couple of 20 overs games without getting injured. Didn't play the other day in the BPL because he was injured. Only 2 championship games for Yorkshire this year, 8 last year but a bowling average of 60. He's a limited overs bowler at this stage in his career.

That being said, Garton is a terrible selection if they actually think he is anywhere near to test cricket right now. It's meh if he's just there to cover for injuries for this last warmup game and then join up with the lions squad in a week. It would be a similar type of pick as Saj Mahmood, just worse.

FBU

International Debutant
Plunkett can't even go a couple of 20 overs games without getting injured. Didn't play the other day in the BPL because he was injured. Only 2 championship games for Yorkshire this year, 8 last year but a bowling average of 60. He's a limited overs bowler at this stage in his career.

That being said, Garton is a terrible selection if they actually think he is anywhere near to test cricket right now. It's meh if he's just there to cover for injuries for this last warmup game and then join up with the lions squad in a week. It would be a similar type of pick as Saj Mahmood, just worse.
Only bowled 77.0 first class overs this year. Tongue on the other hand 333.4, 47 at 25.78. Suppose they want Garton left-armer to bowl to at England replicating Starc. I wonder how many wickets Starc will get with his yorkers.

Daemon

Is he the only man to get a FC hattrick with 3 of them? I know Malinga's got 4 in 4 yorkers in an ODI.