• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Ashes Squad

Meridio

International Regular
Look you lot, Michael Vaughan has the answer to your spin woes. You're forgetting the truly outstanding candidate:

Michael Vaughan said:
I just can't fathom Mason Crane's inclusion in the Ashes squad. I just look at the spin department and you have to go with the best spinner or with the best all-round package. And that would have been Liam Dawson, so at least if Moeen is injured you will get someone who is rounded.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Look you lot, Michael Vaughan has the answer to your spin woes. You're forgetting the truly outstanding candidate:
He's a bigger gob****e than Piers Morgan.

I take it Dawson is part of the same agency, as messrs Vaughan and Vince.

Turns out the gob****e doesn't like being called out on being racist. I'm blocked from following him on twitter.

Think it was when he basically said Moeen must rally all muslims to seek out terrorists in mosques in Britain. Was rightly called out on it by the bloke who plays citizen khan.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Vince pick is so weird. It honestly felt like he'd performed some sort of voodoo on the cricketing world, having suddenly gone from entirely forgotten to everyone talking about him for no apparent reason, and then selected on the back of that.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So strange. Comfortably the worst from the wheel of English mediocrity. Played all his games at home, some of them against the might of the Sri Lankan attack, didn't even reach 50.

And then on one hand they're clearly rewarding Ballance for piling on the runs in the CC, but on the other they're giving Vince a free pass for averaging 30.

Last edited:

vcs

At least the lads in the dressing room won't have to stretch their imaginations to come up with a creative nickname for him though. Vincey should work just fine.

Spikey

The Vince pick is so weird. It honestly felt like he'd performed some sort of voodoo on the cricketing world, having suddenly gone from entirely forgotten to everyone talking about him for no apparent reason, and then selected on the back of that.
so you're saying england has finally found a new Finn

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The squad overall is frighteningly inadequate. But Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes and Ali MIGHT score enough runs to keep us competitive if Anderson and Broad bowl well with new ball bearing in mind that Australia are not that good either. :devil2:

Mrpiggy

Banned
I just hope England get embarrassed. A 5-0 hammering in 3 days per test will do Just nicely. England arrogant to the extreme. Daren't even say no to Stokes as they think he's half decent. 1 man bigger than the team syndrome. Totally and utterly spineless that ECB.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey pig
Nothing's turning out the way I planned
Hey pig
There's a lot of things I hoped you could help me understand
What am I supposed to do
I lost my **** because of you

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It amuses me that the convict fans are trying to make something out of this.

They have Warner. Who went after Joe Root, with the only damage being a chapped nail.

Whether you take the macho or moral route, the Aussies are onto a loser here.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's the next hyped leggie, we've had one since the ball of last century. Don't want to be harsh on him yet because he's young and talented, but in the end I don't think this premature selection will help him. Imagine him bowling to Smoth and Warner on Oz pitches *shudder*. As I've said before I feel a bit sorry for the last hyped leggie now, Adil surely a better pick.

Happy for Cove obviously. Just don't get Vince pick at all, hope he proves us all wrong, he's very pretty when on, which has never happened for England.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's the next hyped leggie, we've had one since the ball of last century. Don't want to be harsh on him yet because he's young and talented, but in the end I don't think this premature selection will help him. Imagine him bowling to Smoth and Warner on Oz pitches *shudder*. As I've said before I feel a bit sorry for the last hyped leggie now, Adil surely a better pick.
I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong post, or thought I'd said "Crane" instead of "Vince" in mine, but either way...

SeamUp

International Coach
The squad overall is frighteningly inadequate. But Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes and Ali MIGHT score enough runs to keep us competitive if Anderson and Broad bowl well with new ball bearing in mind that Australia are not that good either. :devil2:
Basically this happened against us and due to our inexperience & inadequacies (which hasn't been there in the past) you got over the line with your bowling attacks quality in England. The big question is, can they do it in Australia. I do have concerns about the variation. It seems they were going to go TRJ and Ball but now Coverton. They seem tall back of a length ballers in the Tremlett/Bresnan mould when you were successful there so it seems like that is the reasoning.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
What do you do as selectors.

You've been through the following with no or very limited success. Very risky to go to someone new. So basically it was all about gut feel. In this case Root for Ballance & Bayliss for Vince. Could have been anyone for anyone.

Lyth
Robson
Compton
Hameed
Jennings
Duckett
Westley
Ballance
Hales
Vince
Malan
(Stoneman)

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I just hope England get embarrassed. A 5-0 hammering in 3 days per test will do Just nicely. England arrogant to the extreme. Daren't even say no to Stokes as they think he's half decent. 1 man bigger than the team syndrome. Totally and utterly spineless that ECB.
I actually do not think they're arrogant. I think they know they are going down under as underdogs.