• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duncan Fletcher Appointed as India Coach

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
True.

That was one of the big changes Kirsten Brought to the team. Ability to deliver in crucial and pressure situations.

Under him and mental conditioning coach Paddy Upton India's ability to fight and just do enough under pressure and when down on the ropes improved immensely from the earlier history of crumbling under pressure.

Whether it be bowlers or batsman India in the past few years have just managed to up their game enough in crucial junctures,even when all seems lost to just do enough to shock and succeed.

Even in the next innings that India bowled after that one, they upped their game and got SA out for 130 after looking like never even taking a wicket in the first test.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Some of the commentary there is amazingly bleak.

AB is gone. Smith has declared. All the boxes have been ticked. India face a mountain. Make that two. How he got out is purely academic. For the record - it was a back of length ball on off. Not the kind of ball you can hit for six. Given his form, AB believed he could. He ended up playing a nothing-swipe. The outside edge landed in Dhoni's gloves. No one celebrated. Smith called them in. Sehwag and Gambhir have a nervy ten minutes ahead of them, as a prelude to the nervy two-and-a-half days ahead of the world's No. 1 team.

tooextracool

International Coach
That's good to know. The Indian setup needs someone who's tactically smart which is why I was hoping Fleming would get the job.
Dont think anybody can deny that Fletcher is tactically smart, he would never have lasted as long as he did if he was an idiot. However, one has to ask whether Fletcher is from a generation behind? Given the kind of players he will be working with, I think a more progressive coach would have been able to understand the mentality and work with the younger Indian players especially after the likes of Tendulkar and Dravid retire.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Another factor is the Kirsten one.

Big Dunc was Kirsten's coach at Western Province before he got the Glamorgan gig so I'm sure he comes recommended by the exiting Indian coach.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hope not, hes a terrible judge of talent. Hes a great batting coach IMO and hence why Kirsten would recommend him.
Nah, don't buy that.

He brought in Vaughan and Trescothick on hunches when they were barely averaging 30 in FC crciket and both more than justified the love.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His record with bowlers is probably a bit worse. The batsmen he selected generally did well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, don't buy that.

He brought in Vaughan and Trescothick on hunches when they were barely averaging 30 in FC crciket and both more than justified the love.
He also capped Sajid Mahmood and thought Ian Blackwell was a test cricketer.

Never considered Swann either purely because he didn't like the man. If he thought Swann was a tit, wonder how he will view the likes of Sree, UV and Bhaji...But Fletch won't select the side, Kirsten never did.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He also capped Sajid Mahmood and thought Ian Blackwell was a test cricketer.

Never considered Swann either purely because he didn't like the man. If he thought Swann was a tit, wonder how he will view the likes of Sree, UV and Bhaji...But Fletch won't select the side, Kirsten never did.
Even if he does take part in team selection, I don't think we will have that problem with our bowling talent.

Who are our biggest competitors i Test Cricket ? England, SA and Australia and is there one coach that knows better about that knows more about these countries than Fletcher ?

tooextracool

International Coach
Nah, don't buy that.

The fletcher philosophy (especially with the batsmen) was to select players on their attitude and personality, not on their talent or level of performance. I think he felt that he could coach almost anyone on how to bat or bowl but could not fix their character and toughness.

On the bowling front, I think it is safe to say that he was pretty much clueless. His ideology was essentially the same, however with fast bowlers he was only interested in anyone who could bowl 90mph and felt that he could coach them to become good even if they could only land one ball per over in line with the stumps. Unfortunately, as a bowler I would want to go nowhere near Duncan because he knows absolutely nothing about bowling.

Coming back to Trescothick and Vaughan, those are 2 selections amongst over 2 dozen players that were picked during his tenure who were the most disastrous picks in the history of English cricket. Using them as evidence is clutching at straws.

Borges

International Regular
The fletcher philosophy (especially with the batsmen) was to select players on their attitude and personality, not on their talent or level of performance. I think he felt that he could coach almost anyone on how to bat or bowl but could not fix their character and toughness.

On the bowling front, I think it is safe to say that he was pretty much clueless. His ideology was essentially the same, however with fast bowlers he was only interested in anyone who could bowl 90mph and felt that he could coach them to become good even if they could only land one ball per over in line with the stumps. Unfortunately, as a bowler I would want to go nowhere near Duncan because he knows absolutely nothing about bowling.

Coming back to Trescothick and Vaughan, those are 2 selections amongst over 2 dozen players that were picked during his tenure who were the most disastrous picks in the history of English cricket. Using them as evidence is clutching at straws.
By and large, tend to agree with this. I think Fletcher is a superb tactician, but no visionary.

Guess he will do quite well as long as he is not in charge for selecting the side. Test side that is; for limited overs cricket, the celebrated 'Ashley Giles Selection Policy' might just turn out to be ok. Perhaps the time has come to rechristen it as the 'Suresh Raina Selection Policy' - what Duncan Fletcher can do badly, Kris Srikkanth can do even more badly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Even how he supposedly feels that he was underappreciated for the work he did as England's coach speaks enough about his ego. I'm just not sure that he's prepared to let the players do their work, I feel that he's the sort of guy who can "overcoach".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've read both his books and while I enjoyed them both, it was like on every page he had subliminally written YOU WILL RESPECT ME

Sold Freddie down the river as well. Hey dickhead, no-one would know who you were but for him, so **** off.