• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duncan Fletcher Appointed as India Coach

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Can't wait until this series. What's up with the English media cricket hype? They're such an awesome side to support - or so I thought - but I now realize that's only when they suck. When they are not total crap, which happens once in a while, the arrogant dick machine goes into hyperdrive. Will be awesome to see the angst if Anderson gets destroyed and England lose 2-0. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The fletcher philosophy (especially with the batsmen) was to select players on their attitude and personality, not on their talent or level of performance. I think he felt that he could coach almost anyone on how to bat or bowl but could not fix their character and toughness.

On the bowling front, I think it is safe to say that he was pretty much clueless. His ideology was essentially the same, however with fast bowlers he was only interested in anyone who could bowl 90mph and felt that he could coach them to become good even if they could only land one ball per over in line with the stumps. Unfortunately, as a bowler I would want to go nowhere near Duncan because he knows absolutely nothing about bowling.

Coming back to Trescothick and Vaughan, those are 2 selections amongst over 2 dozen players that were picked during his tenure who were the most disastrous picks in the history of English cricket. Using them as evidence is clutching at straws.
I think you're giving him way too hard a rap there.

I think he absolutely selected players on what he perceived were their talents. In the case of Tres it's obvious from any prolonged viewing that, limited footwork aside, he has a marvellous eye, plays straight and has a full range of shots at his disposal. The legend is that Flecther saw Banger play this innings for Somerset against Glamorgan and marked him down as a player with test potential, despite his (then) mediocre record. I possibly betray my own bias here, but I'm of the opinion one learns far more from actually watching a player than slavishly pouring over statsguru. Fletcher seems of his ilk too.

As for bowlers, well he gave Harmison & Jones their starts in tests when both had similarly questionable records based on them ticking enough attribute boxes from his own idea of those desireable in test bowlers. Yes, he dropped some bollocks, Mahmood's and Plunkett's continued selections and Swann's non-selection the most egregious, but which coach/selector hasn't, frankly?

I'm not a fanboy of his tho & he is too rigid a thinker for my taste. He wears his prejudices on his sleeve (his fondness for bowlers of pace and love of the slog-sweep are matters of record) and has been occasionally far too quick to judge players who don't seem to fit his ideal identikit. Jon Lewis and, more damningly, Ryan Sidebottom were both summarily dismissed from the test side never to return (under Fletcher) after a single cap apiece presumably because neither was that quick & their iffy debuts reinforced his partialities in that respect.

He also bears grudges and is utterly convinced his own judgement is impeccable; some of the columns he wrote for The Guardian were hilarious and barely disguised score-settling of perceived slights. He even once, counter-intuitively, gave himself for recognising Swann's potential back when he selected him for his first tour squad in 99/00 but rather skirted over the ticklish whole "never again selecting him" issue.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Swann and gough's comments are perfect for india ahead of the test series ...i hope anderson or some of the new pacers come up with statements that they are going to roll up the indian batting line with ease.....
This will ensure india being charged up..and with zaheer rested for wi tour i'm confident we will do well.
Whatever the result i'm putting 50 bucks on swann having a torrid time,spinners who talk before a series with india get thrashed its been same with qadir,warne,saqlain [with his teesra]....especially if sehwag sticks around.:)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't wait until this series. What's up with the English media cricket hype? They're such an awesome side to support - or so I thought - but I now realize that's only when they suck. When they are not total crap, which happens once in a while, the arrogant dick machine goes into hyperdrive. Will be awesome to see the angst if Anderson gets destroyed and England lose 2-0. :D
****ing hell SS, this is an appalling post

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF, a lot of similar (and worse) stuff has been posted about India on here recently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So moderators aren't allowed to have a go at the English media? Or make clearly tongue in cheek comments about England being crap?

Relax I reckon. SS is hardly a fan boy having a go at England. He ****ing loves Lords, hates the IPL, hates the BCCI etc. etc.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
****ing hell SS, this is an appalling post
TBF, a lot of similar (and worse) stuff has been posted about India on here recently.
By which moderator?
Lol.

So moderators aren't allowed to have a go at the English media? Or make clearly tongue in cheek comments about England being crap?

Relax I reckon. SS is hardly a fan boy having a go at England. He ****ing loves Lords, hates the IPL, hates the BCCI etc. etc.

Corrin poses with Augustus.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't reckon he was fishing tbh.

Sensitive man on India vs. Eng relations is GIMH.

pup11

International Coach
Haven't read through the thread so don't know what the general sentiment is regarding Fletcher's appointment, but for me India have a made a big mistake here.

Fletcher from all that I've heard likes control over the team and that certainly doesn't work in India, his age and ability to handle the press are also factors that don't go in his favour.