• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft ideas/scheduling thread

shortpitched713

International Captain
How do people feel about doing an auction style draft? I would probably need another person's help to run it, but I think this could be really cool, if there is interest.
Here's a ruleset that I think could work for an auction style draft:

Each player starts with 40K in funds.
Player nominations will be done in randomized snake order.
Starting bid is 1K, and anyone can bid up from that in a minimum increment of 500 (ie .5K)
Maximum bid is whatever you need to fill up the rest of your bids at minimum, subtracted from your total. So to begin with, everyone's max bid starts at 30K, as 10 remaining players at minimum is 10K, subtracted from 40K initial funds.

For each player nominated, "on the clock", there would be a 3 hour confirmation time limit for any bids submitted for the first 2 hours, and then bids submitted after 2 hours would allow for an hour after that bid before it is "confirmed".

Too complicated?
Or not complicated enough? XD
Anyway, let me know if any of you guys would have an interest in that, because it would require a bit of help, as we need to track running funds totals, in addition to tracking the confirmed players on each team.

I think 11 forumers would be an ideal amount for this kind of auction draft, so trying to gauge interest.

shortpitched713

International Captain
No specific rules. Just give a specific budget like 1 million or something to each drafter and ask them to bid as you roll out players.
Well my ruleset is something like that, it just lets each drafter (in the snake order) choose who they want each round's bidding to be on. Which I think gives the drafters a bit more control, and maybe adds some drama.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Have an idea inspired by ongoing stipulation based auction draft. Same basic rules with one change: for each round you bid twice.

After initial bids for a round, all bids are made public along with who is winning who. Then drafters submit revised and final bids (or choose to go unchanged). They will not be allowed to reduce bids for any players. They can either raise bids for one/more players they bid for initially. Or replace one/more player bid with a fresh bid for one/more other player (this can be lower than the bid for replaced player). In this process they will not be allowed to change relative preference of players initially bid and retained in revised bids.

Feedback on this?

Edit: to be clear, for each round winnings in the initial bids don't lock any players to any drafter. Winning players only matters after the revised bids.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have an idea inspired by ongoing stipulation based auction draft. Same basic rules with one change: for each round you bid twice.

After initial bids for a round, all bids are made public along with who is winning who. Then drafters submit revised and final bids (or choose to go unchanged). They will not be allowed to reduce bids for any players. They can either raise bids for one/more players they bid for initially. Or replace one/more player bid with a fresh bid for one/more other player (this can be lower than the bid for replaced player). In this process they will not be allowed to change relative preference of players initially bid and retained in revised bids.

Feedback on this?
What will happen if a drafter loses the player he won?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What will happen if a drafter loses the player he won?
They very well can. The final allocation of players happens after the revised bids; winning in initial bidding does not matter. Initial bids are just to set up the ground for final bids.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They very well can. The final allocation of players happens after the revised bids; winning in initial bidding does not matter. Initial bids are just to set up the ground for final bids.
You just wanna give a second chance coz you keep goofing up in your first in the other draft. :p

Anyways, sounds interesting, count me in.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You just wanna give a second chance coz you keep goofing up in your first in the other draft. :p
Haha. I have only had one penalty in two and a half drafts in this format. But yes, the idea was triggered when I got my first penalty .

weeman27bob

International Regular
Have we ever had a draft where:

• Everyone nominates one player via PM each round
  • Those nominated players form the list of valid picks for that round
  • Then after all the nominations are in, the draft order is randomised for that round

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Have we ever had a draft where:

• Everyone nominates one player via PM each round
  • Those nominated players form the list of valid picks for that round
  • Then after all the nominations are in, the draft order is randomised for that round
No it has not been done before.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Feedback on this?

Edit: to be clear, for each round winnings in the initial bids don't lock any players to any drafter. Winning players only matters after the revised bids.
I figured no one has an incentive to reveal their true cards in initial bidding when it's not going to count for anything other than setting a floor for price of players one bids for.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I figured no one has an incentive to reveal their true cards in initial bidding when it's not going to count for anything other than setting a floor for price of players one bids for.
This might work if you had 2 separate budgets - say 1mil for your first bids and then a 500k fund to top up 2nd bids. Bigger initial budget might mean people are more willing to show their true intentions straight away?

Himannv

International Coach
Too bad we missed having the Women's T20 World Cup fantasy cricket draft. Was rather looking forward to playing that one.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Do people start drafts whenever they want still or have you guys set up a queueing system/etiquette in this sub?

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Do people start drafts whenever they want still or have you guys set up a queueing system/etiquette in this sub?
Not sure on what other people's take is but I'd say if you wanted to start a draft and there won't loads already going on, have a look in here and as long as someone isn't immently about to start theirs then go ahead. And if they are about to start theirs but there are no other drafts or just 1 about to soon end then go ahead