• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft ideas/scheduling thread

weeman27bob

International Regular
Given GIMH's draft seems to be coming to an end, the other draft I was thinking about was a slight rehash of the sheep drafts we've done in the past.

My memory is that these have tended to be that each round you have a few opportunities to select a unique player (i.e. not someone who anyone else selected) who meets the criteria, and if not got assigned a dud.

Have we ever done one where there's no criteria? In my head the way this would work is:

1. Every 24 hours you PM me sending me the player you're choosing.
2. If they're not chosen by anyone else, they go into your team.
3. If they are chosen by someone else, neither of you get them and they go onto a list of permanently banned picks.
4. This might mean that some teams are completed in 11 rounds or it could take 20+ rounds for some teams.

Thoughts?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Really jonesing for another vanilla-ish ( in terms of players eligible, not necessarily selection gimmick ), Test draft. Was great fun as an outlet to research Test cricket history. :)

Heck, I'd even be down for one which was almost a replica of the last one if we had similar interest, as I think @ataraxia ran a really clean one ( not to mention highly visually appealing color coding ) . Anyone else have any interest in running / playing something similar?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Have we played a diminishing draft before? The next player to be taken in your team cannot have more runs or wickets than the previous player. We can even include Bradman here since whoever picks Bradman will have to choose remaining players with lesser runs.

7 batsmen including the keeper and 4 bowlers.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Don't like including Bradman, personally. If he's got even reasonable batsmen (let alone ATG) alongside him, he still skews team run output.

ataraxia

International Coach
Really jonesing for another vanilla-ish ( in terms of players eligible, not necessarily selection gimmick ), Test draft. Was great fun as an outlet to research Test cricket history. :)

Heck, I'd even be down for one which was almost a replica of the last one if we had similar interest, as I think @ataraxia ran a really clean one ( not to mention highly visually appealing color coding ) . Anyone else have any interest in running / playing something similar?
On holiday for a while atm but I was planning upon doing the same draft again - but with all the players picked in the first rendition not allowed to be picked. If anyone wants to do that in the meantime, they're more than welcome!

shortpitched713

International Captain
Is Bradman plus a random guy say Devon Smith greater than Sachin+Lara?
On face value, and in my opinion, yes.

This has nothing to do with your actual point, so don't think I'm nitpicking you, but I hear a lot of time that Bradman was twice as good, or worth twice as much as an ATG batsman.

That's objectively NOT true:

ATG Batting Lineup
Hayden ~ 50
Average Opener ~ 35
Dravid ~ 52.5
Sanga ~ 57.5
Kallis ~ 55
Sum ~ 250

Average Test Team + Bradman
Opener ~ 35
Opener ~ 35
Bradman ~ 100
Mid Bat ~ 40
Mid Bat ~ 40
Sum ~ 250

So, to conclude, when you consider players' value over replacement, Bradman by himself ends up being worth about as much as 4 ATG batsmen in a lineup combined.

PS: I always thought that when playing alongside Bradman, if you had a mix up between the wickets, you'd want to run yourself out instead of him. And it bears out, as he was only run out once out of his 80 innings. Poor Bert Oldfield must have felt a right **** when that happened, although it was still early in Bradman's career, so probably not as egregious. If you run out a Bradman in his prime heyday, you probably ought to just get dropped for sheer stupidity. :laugh:

shortpitched713

International Captain
On holiday for a while atm but I was planning upon doing the same draft again - but with all the players picked in the first rendition not allowed to be picked. If anyone wants to do that in the meantime, they're more than welcome!
Ah, my cricketing knowledge isn't nearly that deep, lol. I was already stretching for picks with the first rendition. :laugh:

shortpitched713

International Captain
How do people feel about doing an auction style draft? I would probably need another person's help to run it, but I think this could be really cool, if there is interest.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Have we played a diminishing draft before? The next player to be taken in your team cannot have more runs or wickets than the previous player. We can even include Bradman here since whoever picks Bradman will have to choose remaining players with lesser runs.

7 batsmen including the keeper and 4 bowlers.
I like this idea. We should do it ASAP.