• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft ideas/scheduling thread

ataraxia

International Coach
As a revision to the no timeouts rule - what would be the downside of saying that if you timeout then you still have to pick based on your place in the order, and not the most recent pick before you make your selection? Draft continues as normal but you effectively get (at best) second choice from where you ought to have picked?

If there’s a concern that someone might then pick someone they wouldn’t have otherwise, as they can now pick someone who overlaps with someone else they didn’t want to make available, then have their pick overlap with the pick before them in the order and also the pick made after (when they should have been picking).

just some suggestions. Although these things tend to move pretty quickly these days anyway!
I guess the problem is you can still end up with a situation where Weekes–timeout–Barrington occurs and then the guy who times out can then pick Miller, when they normally couldn't due to the Bradman threat. But in reality no one will intentionally time out, so it doesn't matter anyway really. You in?

The other draft still has a while to go anyway, so I'll look to start Monday night NZT.

Teuton

International Captain
I will be travelling for work and offline for most of the next couple of weeks so will have to give it a miss.

Also, how did my team not win the vote in that previous version?!

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess the problem is you can still end up with a situation where Weekes–timeout–Barrington occurs and then the guy who times out can then pick Miller, when they normally couldn't due to the Bradman threat. But in reality no one will intentionally time out, so it doesn't matter anyway really. You in?

The other draft still has a while to go anyway, so I'll look to start Monday night NZT.
Sure thing.

Himannv

International Coach
Also, how did my team not win the vote in that previous version?!
I went back and checked that and on hindsight I think ataraxia was a bit hard done by to not win. I think Kallis and Ashwin are a bit meh, but apart from that he had a top side. I probably should have voted for him.

You had a relatively weak top 4, although the rest of the team was great. Fine margins plus voter player preferences at the time probably swayed it towards kk.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
I know its a little from left field and might take a little away from current draft being set up however has there been an auction style draft game before ? Where every player puts like 30 or so names in and everyone has the same budget to create a 11 then players go up on auction and bid on them ? if it has can anyone direct me to that thread would like to see how it went .

Himannv

International Coach
I know its a little from left field and might take a little away from current draft being set up however has there been an auction style draft game before ? Where every player puts like 30 or so names in and everyone has the same budget to create a 11 then players go up on auction and bid on them ? if it has can anyone direct me to that thread would like to see how it went .
We've had many auction drafts and the format is rarely the same. Here are some of the more recent ones:

I guess you can do a search on the thread title if you want more, or navigate back towards older threads in this subforum.

Bitmap

First Class Debutant
I just revisited this draft – and (not to toot my own horn) it looks like it was pretty fun, with a large random element, and fairly repeatable. lmao at the shenanigans around kk allowing hb to have Bradman and hb still getting zero votes.

So would you lot enjoy a repeat of this – perhaps with a different starting point – and are there any rule modifications you fancy? @JOJOXI @Fuller Pilch @ankitj @trundler @Pothas @honestbharani @Himannv @kingkallis @Teuton
I'm in

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Once we get close to finishing the latest one, I have a plan to run the next one. It’s Building Blocks Draft. Each block will have rounds to pick players to complete a test team.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Over the coming days thinking of starting a thread for a draft inspired by the Test Career Chain Draft. Unlike that draft it would be based on batting/bowling averages. There would be a starting player - in this example lets say Eddie Barlow (34.05 bowling average). The next player then makes a pick off that average. Eligible picks would be players with a batting/bowling average within 0.5 of Barlow's 34.05 bowling average. So a player who averages 33.55 to 34.55 with bat and/or ball.

Considering a rule where each player has a wildcard pick - before their pick they can elect to use the players other average to base their pick off. For instance lets say the first drafter took Sobers (34.03 bowling average) the next player might decide to use their wildcard and pick from Sobers 57.78 batting average and pick Sangakkara (57.40 batting average). Each drafter can only do this once

If there is a case where there are no eligible picks (e.g. an extremely high batting/bowling average), the drafter can pick from the unpicked players with the very next highest or lowest batting and bowling averages - so a choice of 4 players unless the 2 nearest player share the same average to 2dp then you are lucky to have an extra option

All stats will be based on Cricinfo and to 2 decimal places.

ataraxia

International Coach
Over the coming days thinking of starting a thread for a draft inspired by the Test Career Chain Draft. Unlike that draft it would be based on batting/bowling averages. There would be a starting player - in this example lets say Eddie Barlow (34.05 bowling average). The next player then makes a pick off that average. Eligible picks would be players with a batting/bowling average within 0.5 of Barlow's 34.05 bowling average. So a player who averages 33.55 to 34.55 with bat and/or ball.

Considering a rule where each player has a wildcard pick - before their pick they can elect to use the players other average to base their pick off. For instance lets say the first drafter took Sobers (34.03 bowling average) the next player might decide to use their wildcard and pick from Sobers 57.78 batting average and pick Sangakkara (57.40 batting average). Each drafter can only do this once

If there is a case where there are no eligible picks (e.g. an extremely high batting/bowling average), the drafter can pick from the unpicked players with the very next highest or lowest batting and bowling averages - so a choice of 4 players unless the 2 nearest player share the same average to 2dp then you are lucky to have an extra option

All stats will be based on Cricinfo and to 2 decimal places.
I think we've done something like this before, but with less stringent rules.

Still keen obvs.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I think we've done something like this before, but with less stringent rules.

Still keen obvs.
Bad I forgot of the draft when I participated in it! Given how I fell into the trap to let Trundler get Bradman - no wonder I wiped it from my memory!

weeman27bob

International Regular
Asking this more out of curiosity than anything else, but how long do people spend thinking about their draft picks/planning/etc?

A couple of people weren't keen to get involved in JOJOXI's latest draft because they were already in one, but when you're making it up as you go along a talented drafter like me, I rarely find myself spending much more than 10-15 minutes making a pick.

I hope someone has some detailed models they've built/refine after each pick.

Himannv

International Coach
Asking this more out of curiosity than anything else, but how long do people spend thinking about their draft picks/planning/etc?

A couple of people weren't keen to get involved in JOJOXI's latest draft because they were already in one, but when you're making it up as you go along a talented drafter like me, I rarely find myself spending much more than 10-15 minutes making a pick.

I hope someone has some detailed models they've built/refine after each pick.
It kind of depends on how much research is involved. With this draft I'd have to do a Statsguru search on related batting averages and bowling averages of the pick before me as there'd be unobvious good players who qualify. While it doesn't take much time to do, it's not exactly the same as just coming on and making a pick. Career span is much easier because you have a rough idea of the career span of the player you want anyway so you generally have an idea of who to pick without referring to anything.

The other factor is, I'm also doing other stuff. I might be participating in a mafia game, enrolling in a football draft, playing a ridiculously expensive strategy game, and I also recently started a new job. That's a lot on my plate even if you don't count the wife and kid and other RL stuff like house construction, etc.

Teuton

International Captain
I normally start a big (reusable) spreadsheet with ~1000 players and usual stats on it, as well as how i rate them all. Then use filters to match the criteria to work out a list close enough to work with. So a bit of work before the draft, but then just marking off players and picking guys near the top of list during, so not much time during....

..in theory, sometimes I spend too much time weighing up a couple of options if family/work allows time. That means its a good interesting draft.

weeman27bob

International Regular
It kind of depends on how much research is involved. With this draft I'd have to do a Statsguru search on related batting averages and bowling averages of the pick before me as there'd be unobvious good players who qualify. While it doesn't take much time to do, it's not exactly the same as just coming on and making a pick. Career span is much easier because you have a rough idea of the career span of the player you want anyway so you generally have an idea of who to pick without referring to anything.

The other factor is, I'm also doing other stuff. I might be participating in a mafia game, enrolling in a football draft, playing a ridiculously expensive strategy game, and I also recently started a new job. That's a lot on my plate even if you don't count the wife and kid and other RL stuff like house construction, etc.
For the avoidance of doubt this isn't me trying to call anyone out for not getting involved, I can completely understand people might have other things that they want to spend time doing, it was more just curiosity as to whether I was an outlier in research/pick time.