• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft ideas/scheduling thread

ataraxia

International Coach
Planning to draft a T20 auction once couple of current drafts are over.

And the t20 auction can also contain players who have never played t20. Upto one's imagination on how they would have fared in this format.
Approximately what percentage of players would be pre-T20?

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Planning on running a slightly wacky draft game in the next few days. Plan would be for it to be more of a casual draft.

The way I'm envisaging in my head there would be a draft order as usual and in most cases you'd pick a player as usual.

However, each player during draft could do the following on one ocassion.

1) At one point during the draft when it is their turn - they could 'steal' the player last picked before their turn. So if Player A picks Sobers, Player B picks Hadlee, Player C could then decide instead of picking a player they would 'steal' Hadlee. (Currently uncertain if Player D could then 'steal' the stolen player from Player C.) However, a player can only do this one time during the draft. If you are immediately after a double-pick you can steal either of those picks but need to mention which player you want to 'steal'.

2) At one point during the draft when it is their turn a player could skip the next person's pick. In the case that you are the 2nd last person in a round and the next person is set to have a double-pick they would only miss the first of their 2 picks.

3) At one point during the draft just before the player makes their pick they can dictate that the next pick from each player has to be from a specific nation or decade. So Player A may decide only New Zealand players to be picked and then pick Hadlee. Everyone else's next pick also has to be a New Zealand player. If you are skipped your catchup pick would still need to be a New Zealand player.

Teams who see a player 'stolen' would catch-up with their 'stolen' pick the next time they pick. So if they have a pick 'stolen' in Round 3, in Round 4 they would make their Round 4 pick as well as replacing their stolen player.

Teams who are skipped would catch-up with their picks 2 rounds after. So if you are skipped in round 3. You would make one normal pick in Round 4 and one normal pick plus the catchup pick in Round 5

Thinking I'll make Bradman available but directly picking him would mean you miss your next 4 picks. So if you pick him in Round 1, you miss Rounds 2,3,4 and 5 and pick again in Round 6 catching up with those 4 missed picks. You could however 'steal' him and avoid missing picks.

More of a casual draft to run alongside other drafts so would be thinking 12 hours per pick with timer started from when that person is first tagged in thread.

If someone is timed out they cannot 'steal' a player, skip a player or dictate the next picks have to be from a certain decade or country with their catchup pick - just to ensure there is no incentive for not picking asap.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting. Just to understand, it will be a normal draft with 3 lifelines for each person that can be used just once in the draft.

1. Steal from previous guy
2. Skip next guy
3. Dictate next round picks

Is that correct?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Planning on running a slightly wacky draft game in the next few days. Plan would be for it to be more of a casual draft.

The way I'm envisaging in my head there would be a draft order as usual and in most cases you'd pick a player as usual.

However, each player during draft could do the following on one ocassion.

1) At one point during the draft when it is their turn - they could 'steal' the player last picked before their turn. So if Player A picks Sobers, Player B picks Hadlee, Player C could then decide instead of picking a player they would 'steal' Hadlee. (Currently uncertain if Player D could then 'steal' the stolen player from Player C.) However, a player can only do this one time during the draft. If you are immediately after a double-pick you can steal either of those picks but need to mention which player you want to 'steal'.

2) At one point during the draft when it is their turn a player could skip the next person's pick. In the case that you are the 2nd last person in a round and the next person is set to have a double-pick they would only miss the first of their 2 picks.

3) At one point during the draft just before the player makes their pick they can dictate that the next pick from each player has to be from a specific nation or decade. So Player A may decide only New Zealand players to be picked and then pick Hadlee. Everyone else's next pick also has to be a New Zealand player. If you are skipped your catchup pick would still need to be a New Zealand player.

Teams who see a player 'stolen' would catch-up with their 'stolen' pick the next time they pick. So if they have a pick 'stolen' in Round 3, in Round 4 they would make their Round 4 pick as well as replacing their stolen player.

Teams who are skipped would catch-up with their picks 2 rounds after. So if you are skipped in round 3. You would make one normal pick in Round 4 and one normal pick plus the catchup pick in Round 5

Thinking I'll make Bradman available but directly picking him would mean you miss your next 4 picks. So if you pick him in Round 1, you miss Rounds 2,3,4 and 5 and pick again in Round 6 catching up with those 4 missed picks. You could however 'steal' him and avoid missing picks.

More of a casual draft to run alongside other drafts so would be thinking 12 hours per pick with timer started from when that person is first tagged in thread.

If someone is timed out they cannot 'steal' a player, skip a player or dictate the next picks have to be from a certain decade or country with their catchup pick - just to ensure there is no incentive for not picking asap.
I am in. But I prefer just two drafts at a time. Otherwise, it will become too time consuming for everyone. If you want to go ahead with this, I will pause the t20 draft till the test auction draft or this gets over.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting ideas that might need clarification. Also agree with CricAddict re drafts running concurrently. Perhaps wait until curent drafts (and planned T20 draft ) reach the stage when there is only one in progress before starting this one.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I am in. But I prefer just two drafts at a time. Otherwise, it will become too time consuming for everyone. If you want to go ahead with this, I will pause the t20 draft till the test auction draft or this gets over.
I'm happy to wait - no need to pause T20 draft @CricAddict. The only reason I was thinking of running it concurrently was because of casual, wackier nature of draft but yeah I'll wait. I'll probably put up a thread in a couple of days so any more questions can be asked/answered although I'm happy to clarify anything else here in the meantime.

Interesting. Just to understand, it will be a normal draft with 3 lifelines for each person that can be used just once in the draft.

1. Steal from previous guy
2. Skip next guy
3. Dictate next round picks

Is that correct?
That is correct although for the 3rd lifeline it is each person's next picks - if that lifeline is played at the start of the round it will just be the picks of that round. But if it is played halfway through round 3 by Player E dictating picks for players who debuted in 1900s than Player F to J would make picks from 1900s in Round 3. In Round 4 - Player J to F can then pick normally but players E to A would then need to make a pick that debuted in the 1900s.

To add to the 3rd lifeline - you can effectively overrule this by using the 3rd lifeline yourself. So as an example Player A may dictate only players from 1900s before picking Jack Hobbs, Player B and C pick Sydney Barnes and Aubrey Faulkner. Player D decides instead of picking a 1900s player they will use their 3rd lifeline to dictate everyone's next picks have to be players from Sri Lanka before picking Muttiah Muralitharan.

So if I steal a player from someone, does that person have to pick again?
That person picks again but when they are next up. So if you were the 2nd person to pick in 3rd round draft order and the person after you stole your pick, you wouldn't pick again straight away. When you were up 2nd last in 4th round you would pick your 4th round pick and at the same time replace your stolen pick.

Any outstanding picks once these rules are applied would be made at end of draft. So to clarify if your pick was stolen in Round 11, you were skipped in Round 10/11 or if you picked Bradman in Round 7 or later you would make those catchup picks after Round 11.

anil1405

International Captain
With the increased exposure and prominence of women's cricket, would anyone be interested in doing a women's draft in conjunction with the 'Draft Fantasy' game run by Teuton?
The effort that Teuton is putting in to run the Fantasy Draft is amazing.

It would be quite a task for anyone to run the same for women's cricket.

However with the women's World Cup about 5-6 months away it would be much easier to run a fantasy draft for that tournament alone.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Thinking of running Quiz based draft. Each round there will be one question asked and every participant will have 24 hours to answer to OP via PM. If two participants pick same player for the question asked, that player will be eliminated for that round. We will continue like this unless a participant finishes his XI. Whoever first finishes his XI will win the draft. Second to finish will be runner up and the draft will end.

Thoughts pls.