• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft idea - bid for position

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I had tossed up between Miller and Hammond. My decision was swayed by the number of strike bowlers already selected.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cannot believe ataraxia went for both McGrath and Ambrose. I would have surely taken Wasim over one of them.. Marshall, McGrath and Wasim is a bowling attack that is too sweet to be true. Just don't somehow like the idea of both Ambrose and McGrath in the same side. Plus, gonna be a rather long tail.
Tail will be absolutely fine if he picks a spinner who can bat. Don't see how Ambrose and McGrath is anything other than amazing, imagine actually having to deal with both.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
3. Kallis
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
10. Garner
11. Donald

Now I get to sit and watch for a while.

anil1405

International Captain
Tail will be absolutely fine if he picks a spinner who can bat. Don't see how Ambrose and McGrath is anything other than amazing, imagine actually having to deal with both.
Absolutely. Marshall is there to swing the ball both ways (at a searing pace too) and combine that with McGrath's accuracy and ability to nip the ball just enough plus Ambrose's aggression. A treat that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
LIke I said, I just don't see how an attack of Amrbose, McGrath, Marshall will necessarily pose more threat than an attack of Wasim, Ambrose/McGrath, Marshall. Its basically an added dimension with Wasim there and a bit more ability down the order too.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Picks so far:
kingkallis: Don Bradman, Gary Sobers, Fred Trueman
StephenZA: Jacques Kallis, Sachin Tendulkar, Joel Garner, Brian Lara, Allan Donald
Pothas: Imran Khan, Shane Warne, Jack Hobbs, Dennis Lillee, Wally Hammond
JOJOXI: Sydney Barnes, Dale Steyn, Steve Smith, Adam Gilchrist
trundler: Richard Hadlee, Sunil Gavaskar, Viv Richards, Waqar Younis
ataraxia: Malcolm Marshall, Glenn McGrath, Curtly Ambrose, Len Hutton
ankitj: Muttiah Muralitharan
honestbharani: Wasim Akram
Line and Length: Keith Miller

honestbharani (7 picks)
ankitj (8 picks)
Line and Length
JOJOXI
Line and Length (9 picks)
trundler (6 picks)
JOJOXI (2 picks)
ataraxia (3 picks)
kingkallis
ataraxia
Pothas
JOJOXI
kingkallis
ataraxia
StephenZA
ankitj (2 picks)
StephenZA (2 picks)
honestbharani (3 picks)
Pothas
kingkallis (2 picks)
StephenZA
Pothas
StephenZA
kingkallis
Pothas
kingkallis (3 picks)
Pothas (2 picks)
JOJOXI (3 picks)
StephenZA
trundler
ataraxia (2 picks)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LIke I said, I just don't see how an attack of Amrbose, McGrath, Marshall will necessarily pose more threat than an attack of Wasim, Ambrose/McGrath, Marshall. Its basically an added dimension with Wasim there and a bit more ability down the order too.
Whichever of the 3 you replace with Wasim it is a step down in ability though and Marshall at 9 is hardly a bad selection.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whichever of the 3 you replace with Wasim it is a step down in ability though and Marshall at 9 is hardly a bad selection.
You gotta look at the trade offs. Yeah, 20 something to 23 something is a bit of a step down in terms of averages alone but cricket is a team sport and the variation will matter if we are considering an actual match up. And the Wasim batting thing is just a bonus. Imagine Wasim as first change AFTER you have had nothing from Marshall and one of McGrath/Ambrose. I just feel it would be more of a challenge given the match ups will be between ATG sides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You gotta look at the trade offs. Yeah, 20 something to 23 something is a bit of a step down in terms of averages alone but cricket is a team sport and the variation will matter if we are considering an actual match up. And the Wasim batting thing is just a bonus. Imagine Wasim as first change AFTER you have had nothing from Marshall and one of McGrath/Ambrose. I just feel it would be more of a challenge given the match ups will be between ATG sides.
I am looking at the trade off and to me the decrease in ability is not worth the intangible of variation.