• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well we do have two new whipping boys in Ireland and Afghanistan now.

Man it's not going to be pretty is it. Quite worried for Ireland in particular.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I can see Afghanistan doing decently against WI or Bang (or SL atm) in slowish conditions but Ireland seems to have gone significantly backwards.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is BD only have about 4-5 Test standard players - Shakib, Tamim, Mushfiq, Mehedi and possibly Mominul.

When they get the right conditions (usually at home), they can draw test series on the back of these players.

But yeah once conditions are out of their hand, they are pedestrian.

vcs

TBF, *****, we warned you that Bangladesh are likely to get a bit of a hammering in places like SA. :p

Long years of getting our hopes up watching India go to these countries..

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
I think they are a decent side and hold their own at home, obviously they'll struggle in OZ SA NZ ENG. Probably need 2 world class batsman and 2 w/c fast bowlers in their side to be competitive overseas.
I'd love to see Aust go there every 2-3 years and play a 3 test series.

Slifer

International Captain
I think they are a decent side and hold their own at home, obviously they'll struggle in OZ SA NZ ENG. Probably need 2 world class batsman and 2 w/c fast bowlers in their side to be competitive overseas.
I'd love to see Aust go there every 2-3 years and play a 3 test series.
I actually think most touring sides these days struggle tremendously away from home. See RSA in England recently and they were the gold standard of touring.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's so much the magnitude of the thrashing or the score though. All test teams get severely thrashed from time to time. I think it's more the quality of the pace attack that those of us who saw the game are reacting to.

cnerd123

likes this
Having the worst pace bowling attack going around doesn't make you a minnow tho.

India weren't a minnow back when Gavaskar was taking the new ball, were they?

flibbertyjibber

Away from home they will struggle as they don't have a pace attack to threaten enough. At home they are a tough side to play with their spin options. Come a long way in the last few years.

Daemon

More than Bangladesh catching up to the rest (and they have improved for sure), maybe the rest have dropped closer to their level.

Some of the test cricketers these days are diabolical in spin friendly conditions. Utterly hopeless.

SeamUp

International Coach
More than Bangladesh catching up to the rest (and they have improved for sure), maybe the rest have dropped closer to their level.

Some of the test cricketers these days are diabolical in spin friendly conditions. Utterly hopeless.
I think you are on to something here.

The fight has gone to grind things out and sometimes as a foreign batsman in Asia that is exactly what you got to do. I guess DRS has made it slightly more difficult to get a stride in but still.