• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It makes you wonder how good WI could be right now if they hadn't lost so many players to T20 over the last decade. They could be the best side in the World considering the talent they have.
Not many of them would be good enough to play in their test team. Don't think it's hurt them much.

They'd probably still be trotting out a half dead Gayle and Marlon Samuels keeping Shai Hope out of the team.

TheJediBrah

Not many of them would be good enough to play in their test team. Don't think it's hurt them much.

They'd probably still be trotting out a half dead Gayle and Marlon Samuels keeping Shai Hope out of the team.
They could have some world class spinners with guys like Narine & Badree who have focused on T20s. All rounders with immense talent like Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo & Kieran Pollard could have developed differently into Test-class players had T20 not been such a big lure to them. You never know.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Badree would be better than Bishoo at test level. His first class average is 37, while Bishoo's is 26.

As for Narine, I prefer watching bowlers who actually bowl.

Russell at tests? What are you, Jarrod Kimber? Just no.

TheJediBrah

I don't think Badree would be better than Bishoo at test level. His first class average is 37, while Bishoo's is 26.

As for Narine, I prefer watching bowlers who actually bowl.

Russell at tests? What are you, Jarrod Kimber? Just no.
That's the point though. They would have developed very differently if they had more of a longer form focus.

Though I probably could have used better examples than a chucker and a drug cheat

Starfighter

Bravo did play 40 tests, so it's not like he's an unknown quantity at that level. I'm not sure Russell would have had the temperament anyway. I seem to remember that Pollard's fc figures were awful for some time, although his current average of 37 is pretty decent in the WI setup. He'd have to have made his spot purely as a batsmen though.

Badree's 36, and made his fc debut in 2002. Since then he's only played twelve matches. If he didn't develop into an established long form player then, I'm not sure he would have made much progress over the past six or so years.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Given the standard of game teams display overseas, if WI manage a test in Aus/SA (and already having got one in Pak and England), they are not far off from being the best touring side, especially given that they have no away tours with wickets similar to their own.

cnerd123

likes this
There are several good players who aren't playing due to poor development/handling too and I think it's fair to blame that on the WICB

smash84

The Tiger King
this thread is about the bangers.

If you guys want to talk about WI you are welcome to go to the umpteen number of threads asking the question if WI will ever rise again.

To the OP, they seem to have finally turned a corner. Not minnows anymore (especially at home).

SillyCowCorner1

On a spinning wicket batting first, they are a force to be reckoned with. I would be curious to see how they would have to make a 260 batting in the 4th inning against the Aussie bowlers.

cnerd123

likes this
See I think the talent is there in the BD side - they aren't carrying batsmen who look absolutely clueless in the conditions like Wade or Khawaja - but they also seem to lack the mental strength required for such a task. Tamim and Mushy are fantastic but Shakib DGAF, Kayes has the heart but is probably the most technically limited, and the rest of the guys are just too young and raw

Mominul and Moses back in the side would strengthen their chances of making that chase

fredfertang

I don't think you can describe a side as minnows when they leave out a batsman averaging more than 46 for what seem to be cricketing reasons

91Jmay

International Coach
I think the fact the 'top' teams have so many issues now coupled with improved performances by WI/BD (or perhaps aiding their improved performances) means there are no minnows anymore.