• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh still deserve their minnows tag?

Do Bangers still deserve their Minnows tag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is considered a 'minnow' in today's context?

I think we're about to see spheres of influence changing, the top-3 teams in the world are not guaranteed their spots. Today's cricketers are more professional than say an average player from a different era. Because of market value, they are their own motivators. Rise of social media even spurred that to a higher degree of oomph!

So, I think we should change that term and rightfully call it, 'Underdogs'.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
I wouldn't say so. Minnows are Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan. They are not a world class side by any means, but a rapidly improving one for sure. They have actually done okay in New Zealand despite losing all the matches. You have to remember they haven't played an away series for a really long time. This is the first time in a long time in which they have had a run of successive away tours. They need to play more away tours on a regular bases. If so then they will become even stronger at home. Winning at different venues is what counts now.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
If Bangladesh can come away from this tour full of confidence then it will bode well when it comes to the tour of Europe. I still think Bangladesh will struggle due to the conditions. You could tell in the New Zealand tour just how much Bangladesh have struggled to get in terms with the colder, cooler and windy climate. I can even see them having a battle against Ireland. I'm surprised Sri Lanka actually decided to bowl first when batting seemed suited at first. I know they took the dew factor in consideration, but really it shouldn't have made that much of a difference.

TheJediBrah

tbf all they've done so far is beat minnows

The real test is to see how they go against the West Indies
Australia in Asia is about as minnow as it gets

It's getting to the point where doctoring pitches when they tour is overkill

91Jmay

International Coach
Only beating Aus by 20 runs shows a real regression from beating another minnow by 100. Warning signs for BD.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I mean the way people talk about the difference between test teams, and that word 'minnow' now shows a pretty short memory doesn't it?

After WI got smashed in the first test there was a lot of writing about multiple divisions and test cricket as a product and blah blah, forgetting that the Windies won the last test against England in 2015. Surprise suprise when they get to Headingley and can actually play.

In the mid 2000s teams used to rest players touring Bangladesh and then win by an innings and 300 runs. They were hopelessly substandard. As they've slowly got better the definition of 'minnow' changed with them until here we are and 'minnow' now means anyone that's having a bad run.

We'll get some proper minnows back when Ireland play some Test matches

Aritro

International Regular
We are still a sub-standard test team with some poor players who would not get anywhere near other teams, but we are getting there.

OverratedSanity

I mean the way people talk about the difference between test teams, and that word 'minnow' now shows a pretty short memory doesn't it?

After WI got smashed in the first test there was a lot of writing about multiple divisions and test cricket as a product and blah blah, forgetting that the Windies won the last test against England in 2015. Surprise suprise when they get to Headingley and can actually play.

In the mid 2000s teams used to rest players touring Bangladesh and then win by an innings and 300 runs. They were hopelessly substandard. As they've slowly got better the definition of 'minnow' changed with them until here we are and 'minnow' now means anyone that's having a bad run.

We'll get some proper minnows back when Ireland play some Test matches
The reaction of the Sky commentators to West Indies after the first test, as well as their shock in this test when they saw they actually can play decent cricket was pretty embarrassing to listen to. It's pretty clear none of them follow cricket outside of Eng/Aus/Ind.

While they've exceeded expectations in this test, that they played well shouldn't have been a massive shock to anyone who's watched their recent performances against Pakistan (both in Wi and in UAE). They pushed them extremely hard in both those series and Pak are a long way from rubbish.

TheJediBrah

The reaction of the Sky commentators to West Indies after the first test, as well as their shock in this test when they saw they actually can play decent cricket was pretty embarrassing to listen to. It's pretty clear none of them follow cricket outside of Eng/Aus/Ind.

While they've exceeded expectations in this test, that they played well shouldn't have been a massive shock to anyone who's watched their recent performances against Pakistan (both in Wi and in UAE). They pushed them extremely hard in both those series and Pak are a long way from rubbish.
It makes you wonder how good WI could be right now if they hadn't lost so many players to T20 over the last decade. They could be the best side in the World considering the talent they have.