• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dean Jones is doubtless a racist. And anybody who thinks otherwise is probably one too. I am glad that he was fired. I hope he never comments again. Commentary is all about what you say and if you make a blatantly racist and prejudiced comment for whatever reason then you should not be allowed to comment. His comments have hurt and angered many people as mentioned in the cric info article. http://wwwc4.cricinfo.com/slvrsa/content/current/story/255892.html

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
It is the PC brigade that make what should be a minor issue like this a hanging offense in modern life. These muppets immediately take huge offense on behalf of the minority group that's supposed to be mortally offended and it is these muppets that will send in wave after wave of complaints. Look at the power that stupid cow Mary Whitehouse wielded.
Hahaha. You're just a parody, aren't you?

You realise that it was the South African team who complained right? Who would have thought a national cricket team would be the "PC brigade". Or was that the viewers who called up and complained? Do you honestly believe that people weren't offended by the suggestion that a muslim guy with a beard by necessity a terrorist?

And once again, your definition of "PC" has absolutely no connection to reality. Political Correctness is about political speech, not about unprofessional jokes that weren't meant to be overheard.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hahaha. You're just a parody, aren't you?

You realise that it was the South African team who complained right? Who would have thought a national cricket team would be the "PC brigade". Or was that the viewers who called up and complained? Do you honestly believe that people weren't offended by the suggestion that a muslim guy with a beard by necessity a terrorist?

And once again, your definition of "PC" has absolutely no connection to reality. Political Correctness is about political speech, not about unprofessional jokes that weren't meant to be overheard.
It wasn't Amla that was wanting Dean Jones to be sacked etc.

Political correctness infests most things these days to the point where you've got nurseries that ban 'baa baa black sheep', if you think it's just limited to political speeches you're seriously deluded.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:

Political correctness infests most things these days to the point where you've got nurseries that ban 'baa baa black sheep', if you think it's just limited to political speeches you're seriously deluded.
There's political correctness and then there's offensive speech. What Dean said was offensive, and it's not being PC to claim that it was. He may have said it as a joke, but that doesn't make the joke funny or acceptable. He's a professional broadcaster. If he's stupid and insensitive enough to make the comment, he should be prepared for the consequences. His case is no different from an average person working in some company. If that average guy/girl is heard remarking something similar, they too will be punished. Before you shout about PC going too far, try to place yourself in the same situation as people who suffer from racial abuse. It's not funny and it's not acceptable in any circumstance. Words can hurt more than sticks and stones sometimes.

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's nothing wrong with either, but most women would be offended if you suggested they were a hooker, right?

And I'm sorry, but it does come with racial connotations. Are you telling me that you don't associate the concept of mail order brides with Asian women, or that you don't think the reason Greig made the comment is because the woman was Asian? If it had been a white couple, would he have said it?

It's the same as that NSW politician who made a joke referring to Bob Carr's wife as a "mail order bride" because she was from Malaysia (I think), when in fact she was raised and educated in Australia. It's a racially loaded remark, as well as an offensive one aside from that.
I see because its an Asian thing. I am offended when people take the Lords name in vain, but people are not suspended for that.

And he would not have said it (white couple), because it would have been unlikely, he only said it because a lot of Asian women who marry older Aust. men are in fact mail order brides, and again I ask the question what is wrong with being a mail order bride. My Uncle married one and they are still together after ten years.

Mister Wright

Francis said:
Dean Jones is being called a lot of things, all of he deserves because these things have reprocussions. But, and maybe I say this because I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, I don't think the guy should have been sacked. Sometimes people make mistakes, realise how bad they were, and change. And you can often tell the difference between somebody who is sincerely sorry and wont do things again, like when Ricky Ponting cried on TV after being in a bar-room brawl. You can also tell when people wont ever change... erm Warney.

It's a heck of a lot easier to judge than forgive, and it's what a lot of people do these days, they're so against prejudice that they're quick to judge, not realising that anybody can say something ridiculously stupid. Prejudice shouldn't be tollerated, but the concept of forgiveness shouldn't be thrown out the window. Good peace has been made in situations where appologies are accepted.

Dean Jones has appologised to everybody and their mother over the incident, he personally, without being asked, appologised to Hashim Amla, to which Amla accepted, wished Jones well and told him he hopes it all blows over (Amla is obviously a class act). That should have been it if you ask me.

Anybody is capable of saying something stupid in a few seconds and suddenly everybody is on Jones' back and if he's given the world a deep glaring peek into the depth of his heart where his honest thoughts of humanity have been shockingly revealed. Nothing of the sorts occured. Jones is guilty of tremendous stupidity and nothing else can really be conclusively derived from his idiotic remarks.

I hope this experience humbles him because it came of ignorant arrogence.

But yeah I'll say it again, it's a heck of a lot easier to judge than forgive.
I can see where you're coming from, but seriously the broadcast company that he worked for had no other choice than to sack him. If he had of stayed there would have been calls that they are supportive of his comments. Dean Jones only has himself to blame, he put TenSports (I think it is) in a bind, and they only had one choice. Maybe in time he will be foregiven, perhaps if he does some charity work for muslim countries or something like that, but I doubt he will be picked up by any broadcaster in the next few years.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Francis said:
he personally, without being asked, appologised to Hashim Amla, to which Amla accepted, wished Jones well and told him he hopes it all blows over (Amla is obviously a class act).
Wow, what he lacks in runs he makes up for in being a top bloke.. Good on him

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I see because its an Asian thing. I am offended when people take the Lords name in vain, but people are not suspended for that.

And he would not have said it (white couple), because it would have been unlikely, he only said it because a lot of Asian women who marry older Aust. men are in fact mail order brides, and again I ask the question what is wrong with being a mail order bride. My Uncle married one and they are still together after ten years.
What does that have to do with it? There's nothing wrong with being a mail order bride, but there is something wrong with a public figure implying that Asian women who marry Australian men do it because they get paid. It's demeaning and insulting, and it's racial stereotyping, which is obviously going to offend people.

Scaly piscine

Fusion said:
There's political correctness and then there's offensive speech. What Dean said was offensive, and it's not being PC to claim that it was. He may have said it as a joke, but that doesn't make the joke funny or acceptable. He's a professional broadcaster. If he's stupid and insensitive enough to make the comment, he should be prepared for the consequences. His case is no different from an average person working in some company. If that average guy/girl is heard remarking something similar, they too will be punished. Before you shout about PC going too far, try to place yourself in the same situation as people who suffer from racial abuse. It's not funny and it's not acceptable in any circumstance. Words can hurt more than sticks and stones sometimes.
It is completely ridiculous to compare a daft joke that Dean might come up with once in a blue moon to racial abuse.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:

There's a reason "political" is in the phrase - political correctness doesn't mean "offending people and suffering a backlash because of it", it means censoring political speech because of sensitivity around a particular issue or group. Dean Jones implied that any muslim guy with a beard was a terrorist in a non-serious manner - that's offensive, stupid and unprofessional for someone in a public role. If he'd been making a serious comment and been fired for it, it would have been PC. The Rush Limbaugh thing where he was fired for suggesting that a black player was hyped because he was black is PC, this is not.

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
What does that have to do with it? There's nothing wrong with being a mail order bride, but there is something wrong with a public figure implying that Asian women who marry Australian men do it because they get paid. It's demeaning and insulting, and it's racial stereotyping, which is obviously going to offend people.
It did not imply anything, he asked a question, other people decided. And my uncles mail order bride was paid nothing.

What it has to do with it, if he was too make a comment about a deity from another religion he would be suspended for offending people.

I am trying to hint at a double standard, and for people to lighten up, express the opinion that his MOB comment upset some people ask him to say sorry, and not do it again.

I received a memo telling me I am not to use the word lady with clients anymore because it offends some women. Give me a break :@

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
It was a joke and I can understand because I joke about very sensitive subjects with my close friends but only because they know that its a joke and I don't mean any of it. It was unfortunate what happened to Deano just a matter of wrong place at the wrong time. I hope he gets back to commentary soon and that his career isnt jeopardized by this incident.

I

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
It did not imply anything, he asked a question, other people decided. And my uncles mail order bride was paid nothing.

What it has to do with it, if he was too make a comment about a deity from another religion he would be suspended for offending people.

I am trying to hint at a double standard, and for people to lighten up, express the opinion that his MOB comment upset some people ask him to say sorry, and not do it again.

I received a memo telling me I am not to use the word lady with clients anymore because it offends some women. Give me a break :@
Archie, jeez man. What it is doing is denegrating and insulting a lot of normal (read non-mail order brides) relationships between people of different ethnicities. To imply an asian woman is a mail order bride is terrible. Yes there are mail order brides, and no there is nothing particularly wrong with it (not my cup of tea but hey) but there is something very low brow to imply across the board something that a number of Asian women find very negative.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
It is completely ridiculous to compare a daft joke that Dean might come up with once in a blue moon to racial abuse.
I don't get what you're arguing about here. Are you saying what Jones said wasn't wrong? Or are you saying that racial comments are OK? Please, enlighten me because rather than condemning the person who made the offensive comment, you seem to have taken this issue as an opportunity to slam what you call the PC-Brigade. So do you support what Dean Jones said or not?

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Archie, jeez man. What it is doing is denegrating and insulting a lot of normal (read non-mail order brides) relationships between people of different ethnicities. To imply an asian woman is a mail order bride is terrible. Yes there are mail order brides, and no there is nothing particularly wrong with it (not my cup of tea but hey) but there is something very low brow to imply across the board something that a number of Asian women find very negative.
So if she was a MOB then the question would be okay? Or you are just not allowed to ask questions anymore that may upset someone. That should limit us to discussions about the weather :blink:

My wife agrees with you lot, so it must be just me:wub:

Mister Wright

archie mac said:

No-one is saying there is anything wrong with being a mail-order bride. Different things will offend different people, and the same things won't offend others. However, Greig's implied suggestion was that this woman was only getting married because she was a mail order bride was highly innapropriate and highly offensive to Asian women or women with Asian heritage.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
No-one is saying there is anything wrong with being a mail-order bride. Different things will offend different people, and the same things won't offend others. However, Greig's implied suggestion was that this woman was only getting married because she was a mail order bride was highly innapropriate and highly offensive to Asian women or women with Asian heritage.
And the guy she was with.

archie mac

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Well I still can't see why it would be highly offensive or lowly offensive for that matter. He didn't say she was only getting married because she was a MOB he was just wondering if she was a MOB, and logic would tell you in Aust. a lot of asian women who marry older Aust men are in fact MOB. The only way I can see it being offensive is if being a MOB is a bad thing?

No more comments from me on this subject:ph34r: