• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones sacked for racist remark

Fusion

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
He better get that ball out of his hands in 2 seconds then, because thats how long it will be before a DL is in his face. Its not like he can take a step to the side to avoid the rush. He will look the DL straight in the face with wide open eyes, and then fall down.
The Offensive Line is the Cowboys' biggest weakness, but you make it sound like they have high school kids playing at those positions. Drew would have time to throw because he won't be facing an 8 man rush because of TO's presence. And he's slow, but he doesn't get sacked on EVERY play like you seem to be implying.

By the way, how about we create a NFL thread in OT and all of us can discuss football there? Before James gets mad and locks this thread!

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Plus you can't be a runner and win the super bowl. Steve Young was a runner, but people forget that he was also one of the most accurate QB's in the league (he had a season rating of 112 QB points one year, which was a record).

Fact is, you have to be able to throw the ball to win a superbowl, unless you are a part of one of the all time great defense (in which case even QB's like Brad Johnson can win a superbowl).
I forgot about Steve Young

One of the reasons though for Young being able to putthe passing numbers on the board was because of his scrambling ability, he also played in what I would consider the greatest offense of all time (yep better than the rams of a few years ago), he had weapons all over the place and played behind a great line.

I dont 100% agree with the 'you have to be able to throw the ball to win the superbowl' theory.....to win the superbowl you have to have the ability to win playoff games..and so a key stat for me is winning percentage. It shows how well you adapt to your team philosophy, how well you lead etc.

John Elway didnt often have great stats, but he knew how to win games, that why he is a legend.

Swervy

International Captain
Fusion said:
The Offensive Line is the Cowboys' biggest weakness, but you make it sound like they have high school kids playing at those positions. Drew would have time to throw because he won't be facing an 8 man rush because of TO's presence. And he's slow, but he doesn't get sacked on EVERY play like you seem to be implying.

By the way, how about we create a NFL thread in OT and all of us can discuss football there? Before James gets mad and locks this thread!

I agree

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
I forgot about Steve Young

One of the reasons though for Young being able to putthe passing numbers on the board was because of his scrambling ability, he also played in what I would consider the greatest offense of all time (yep better than the rams of a few years ago), he had weapons all over the place and played behind a great line.

I dont 100% agree with the 'you have to be able to throw the ball to win the superbowl' theory.....to win the superbowl you have to have the ability to win playoff games..and so a key stat for me is winning percentage. It shows how well you adapt to your team philosophy, how well you lead etc.

John Elway didnt often have great stats, but he knew how to win games, that why he is a legend.
John Elway was the comeback kid because in pressure situations he could keep the game alive. And you know why he won the superbowl in the last two years? Well aside from Terrel Davis, he relied much more on his passing than scrambling. John Elway is one of my top three quaterbacks, and it ain't because he could run. If you can run in addition to being a great pokcet passer, all the power to you. But Vick is a horrible quaterback because he can't pass.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
That's why Ben Rothlellisberger will be one. :)

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
John Elway was the comeback kid because in pressure situations he could keep the game alive. And you know why he won the superbowl in the last two years? Well aside from Terrel Davis, he relied much more on his passing than scrambling.
well i think he had the ability to win the SB before then, its just his team didnt back in the 80s....one of the reasons that he could keep a game alive was because of his scrambling ability

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
well i think he had the ability to win the SB before then, its just his team didnt back in the 80s....one of the reasons that he could keep a game alive was because of his scrambling ability

Yea, no one is discounting that. But he could also throw for three hundred yards and three TD's. How many times has Vick done that?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Pittsburgh had a good defense, and a good pasing game. In the playoffs, Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball much more than the regular season. I am sure it didn't get past you. And Roethlisberger is not a bad QB, by any means. So you can't compare him to Dilfer and Johnson.
Did you watch the Suberbowl or were too busy rooting for the Seahawks like everyother Eagles fan ? ;)

The point was we didn't have an alltime great defense and neither was our QB able to throw the ball well in the SB but we played very well as a team. We had players like Willie Parker who is so under-rated and playmakers like Randel El and Hines Ward.

Not to forget the coaching staff who did an amazing job in the playoff and specially in the SB.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz said:
Did you watch the Suberbowl or were too busy rooting for the Seahawks like everyother Eagles fan ? ;)

The point was we didn't have an alltime great defense and neither was our QB able to throw the ball well in the SB but we played very well as a team. We had players like Willie Parker who is so under-rated and playmakers like Randel El and Hines Ward.

Not to forget the coaching staff who did an amazing job in the playoff and specially in the SB.
My last post in this thread (we can talk about it in OT):

No you didn't have either. My point was that if you have a bad QB, then you need a great offense. Roethlisberger was and is not a bad QB. And BTW, I was rooting for Steelers because Bettis is one of my all time favorite players.

archie mac

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Seems to me the usual politically correct sloblock of someone getting fired for a stupid throwaway comment that almost any average person will make from time to time. He should apologise for it and that should be it - but no in this moronic PC culture making a silly error like that is far worse than someone being a complete tosser, incompetent or any number of other things. This sort of penalty stirs up far more bad blood than a daft remark that someone apologises for later on.
I agree, although a fine and or suspension should appease most people who were offended

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Seems to me the usual politically correct sloblock of someone getting fired for a stupid throwaway comment that almost any average person will make from time to time. He should apologise for it and that should be it - but no in this moronic PC culture making a silly error like that is far worse than someone being a complete tosser, incompetent or any number of other things. This sort of penalty stirs up far more bad blood than a daft remark that someone apologises for later on.
It has nothing to do with being PC, so much as having standards of professionalism. Obviously Dean was joking, and obviously it wasn't intended as a serious slur on any race or religion, but he's a commentator on television and made a racist joke on the air. He's clearly going to get fired, because it's terribly unprofessional, casts the station in a bad light and would likely have offended many viewers. It doesn't matter if "almost any average person" would have made the remark, because they don't have jobs on television.

Your definition of PC is way off, in this case. It would only be an issue of "Political Correctness" if he had been censored from making a serious remark. For instance, if he actually believed that Amla was a terrorist or had connections to terrorists or supported them, and was fired for saying so, it would be a PC issue, because he would be censored from making a political statement against a group that is considered protected from criticism in this regard. In this case, it's a guy being fired for making a tasteless joke and being overheard while on the job.

FRAZ

International Captain
BTW Whats so hot in this topic ?
I laugh at you guys some times . hehehehe !!! Oh com'on ,The guy who needs attention is "Hair" , Hello !!! Hallloo!!! :p get a proper life please !!

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
In his playing days Dean Jones had great timing, obviuosly lost it when he got to the commentary box. I would have thought an experienced commentator like Jones would have known better than to utter defamatory nicknames anywhere near a microphone.

Reminds me of the Tony Greig 'mail order bride' comment a few years ago on Channel Nine.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
It doesn't matter if "almost any average person" would have made the remark, because they don't have jobs on television.
I dont think any average person will be treated any differently if he/she makes that remark @ his/her work place and he is reported by the offended people.

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
Reminds me of the Tony Greig 'mail order bride' comment a few years ago on Channel Nine.
I still can't see what was wrong with Greig comment? What is wrong with having a mail order bride? I thought it a fair question 8-)