• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of WicketKeeper-Batsmen (Tests)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sanga, Marsh, QDK, Flower, De Villiers, Boucher, Dujon, Pant, Mccullum, Haddin, Parore , Kirmani, More, Mongia, Saha, Kalu, Prasanna, Dick, Moin Khan, Latif, Rizwan, Sarfaraz, Walcott, Kanhai, Jacobs, Ramdin, Murray, Steward, Evans, Prior, Russell, Bairstow, Dave Richardson, Brendan Taylor, Taibu, Rahim, Litton

Just made a shortlist for myself to choose from.
If that's a shortlist, I'd hate to see the long list!
Just kidding. Excellent list.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No votes for over a week.
Currently dormant voting stands at:
Marsh 4
Sanga 4
QDK 1
Flower 1
Lindsay 1
Oldfield 1
Not sure how many of those were spoof votes. 8 are fairly dodgy.

ataraxia

International Coach
I think the chance of Pant's career ending up meh is fairly high tbh; too early to judge.

But then again, a Sarfaraz is probably going to end up in a surprisingly high spot on the list (if he's remembered) -- the change in perception to wicketkeepers being batters first means that current/recent players are going to be well rated.

Pant will end up around or just below Engineer and Dhoni.

wait they've both already got in? maybe indian bias is real...

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I think the chance of Pant's career ending up meh is fairly high tbh; too early to judge.

But then again, a Sarfaraz is probably going to end up in a surprisingly high spot on the list (if he's remembered) -- the change in perception to wicketkeepers being batters first means that current/recent players are going to be well rated.

Pant will end up around or just below Engineer and Dhoni.

wait they've both already got in? maybe indian bias is real...
I would take Pant over Dhoni right now. Dude is just a better bat, and while not as good a keep, he's learning.
Dhoni's captaincy is not needed for tests either so...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Over ten days now since the list was last updated. Either call it or burn the thread. :detective

Marsh 5
Sanga 4
QDK 1
Flower 1
Lindsay 2
Oldfield 1
Dujon 1

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it was expected when you lumped batsmen - keepers and keeper batsmen together.

Gilly, Sanga, Flower, QdK, ABdV, Dhoni, Pant, Chandimal, McCullum, Rahim, Stewart, Wade et al needs to be graded seperately, because they are batsmen that kept. They were not the best glovemen for their countries and made the side on the sheer weight of the runs they make.

Dujon, Healy, Knott, Jayawardene, Boucher, Kirmani, Latif, R. Marsh, Russell, Tallon, Saha etc were infact best glovemen for their respective countries. What ever they scored were bonus. Gilchrist could be added to this list too.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gilly, Sanga, Flower, QdK, ABdV, Dhoni, Pant, Chandimal, McCullum, Rahim, Stewart, Wade et al needs to be graded seperately, because they are batsmen that kept. They were not the best glovemen for their countries and made the side on the sheer weight of the runs they make.
Misleading. Gilchrist was an excellent keeper. Pretty confident that Dhoni and McCullum were too.

You can't lump those guys in with the rest on that list

edit: You've even got Boucher on that second list who was not as good a keeper as half those on the first list. Looks like you've just separated them on how good at batting they were rather than anything to do with keeping skills

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I have taken over the running of threads conducted by @gftw but I am leaving this alone. Combining wicketkeepers with batsmen was, IMO, a mistake. Some excellent glovemen (eg Tallon) will be overlooked while VG batsmen who happened to take the gloves get votes.

Last edited: